Coolant/engine temperature warning light - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 18:02 Thread Starter

Coolant/engine temperature warning light

Whilst on the M50 on our way for a few days away in the van the coolant/engine temperature warning light on the dash came on.Engine temperature gauge was normal.Stopped and checked coolant level which was O.K.Restarted and warning light stayed off.
Just as I was getting to the M5 junction the light came back on.Seeing as the engine temp gauge still showed temp O.K. I drove to the services.Another check under the bonnet and all seemed fine.We had a spot of lunch and discussed the situation and decided to return home.All was well until we reached roadworks on the M50 when light came on again.Engine temp still normal on gauge.Warning light then intermittently went on and off all the way home.
Took van to my local garage where they agreed it sounded like dodgy sensor and they removed and cleaned them.Suggested I monitor the situation before any further investigation.On the way home the warning light flickered but did not not stay on!
The engine is the 2.5 TD.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Clive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 18:27

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 640slx
Personal Aire
temp

Clive, not quite the same but had a similar fault with our Purgeot, the engine fan would come on even though the temp gauge was showing normal. This gradually worsened until the fans came on as soon as I started the engine, even when cold( this was while on holiday in SW France). anyway it got to the point of the ECU shutting down to crawler mode,20mph max and no power! Finally got the problem sorted at a main agent in France(although it took them 18 days to sort it!!) it was a fault in the ECU. While relating this story to a RAC mechanic friend, he suggested this kind of problem can often be rectified by disconnecting the battery, connecting a lamp or bulb across the "LEADS", to discharge any residue current and then reconnect the battery. This evidently resets the ECU, rather like Ctrl,Alt,Del on a computer. Any way I had a problem with our current FIAT based MH, erratic fuel gauge, carried out the above "fix" and that seemed to cure the problem. Hope this might be of some help to you.

curlyboy

Retired living in Cornwall and the Camper!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 19:54

I had the same problem last summer travelling to dover from ireland. I had to pull over twice as the over heating light flickered and came on. At Dover I had a few hours to spare so i went investigating and found that a wire had come loose and was resting on the rocker cover causing it to partially melt and send a false reading to the the sensor. I reinsulated it and cable tied it back to its original position. I then drove to Barcelona without any problems. My camper at the time was a Hymer E650 on a fiat 2.5 TD.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:43

I finally sorted out my blinking warning light when the bearing on the water pump gave up with a loud screeching noise and the temperature indicator moved rapidly to the right (HOT!) side.

Being a mere woman I had been asking these questions of more mechanically aware folks, including my brother, a mechanic for 40 years! Mutterings about sensors, alternator belts squeaking, or putting on the cab heater to reduce the temperature did not solve the problem.

The breakdown man was amazed at my cheerful acceptance of the sudden termination of my journey.

I hate mysteries, and that one is now SOLVED :P

I collect my repaired VW from Littlehampton tomorrow . . .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 17:41 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies folks.
Loose wire seems a good bet.Took the van out today and no problem.
Getting too late this evening to check but will be under the bonnet in the morning.
The van is too old to have an ECU.
Not getting any strange noises at the moment(not more than usual anyway!)

Clive
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 13:38

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrefire View Post
I had the same problem last summer travelling to dover from ireland. I had to pull over twice as the over heating light flickered and came on. At Dover I had a few hours to spare so i went investigating and found that a wire had come loose and was resting on the rocker cover causing it to partially melt and send a false reading to the the sensor. I reinsulated it and cable tied it back to its original position. I then drove to Barcelona without any problems. My camper at the time was a Hymer E650 on a fiat 2.5 TD.
Where is the sensor wire please ? My van is a burstner aviano 2006 , can anyone advise please .
Graham
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 16:57

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
You must be worthy of a reply winston graham as you have now made 3 posts with the same question. But we need to know what the cab and chassis is, such as Fiat or Peugeot or Renault etc, plus the engine size, such as 2.3, 2,8, etc. to be able to help you.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page