Leaking side door on X250 panel van - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-10-2009, 13:12 Thread Starter

Leaking side door on X250 panel van

There appears to be an inherent weakness in the water-tightness of the sliding door on the X250 panel vans. It relies solely on the effectiveness of the rubber door seal and ours has developed a slight leak at the top of the door. It's only in one very small spot but it allows water to very slowly seep across the seal, which has resulted in slight water marking on the internal fabric trim of the door.

A couple of days ago I adjusted the door to pull it in closer and, from an inspection this morning after overnight rain, it seems it may have cured it. But time will tell.

Nevertheless, in wet weather, every time the door is opened it allows water that is lying on the top of the door to fall inside as well as onto the fabric door trim.

The side door on our last Transit was completely watertight and it had a gutter rail immediately above which diverted rainwater away from the door. A much better arrangement.

I did think about installing a Fiamma gutter above the door on the Boxer but it's not the prettiest piece of kit so am somewhat reluctant to fit it.

I can't have the only X250 with this problem and would be glad to hear of anyone else's cures.

Roly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-12-2009, 23:09

I have had a very small ingress of water from top door seal when away in van in bad weather in November. Door does not seem to fit very well as the door & fly screen / blinds rattle constantly when driving. Have spent afternoon today adjusting catches & locating dowels. Have yet to drive van & see if I have made it better.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 11:31 Thread Starter

Despite adjusting the door I was unable to stop the leak. Although only small, water was leaking onto a fabric trim panel. In the end I bought some P42 Section from Seals+ Direct and used Evostik to bond it to the the underside of the door opening. It has been totally successful for an outlay of fifteen pounds or so. Also, the top of the door is now dry when it is opened and doesn't drip as it did previously.

Here are a couple of photos showing a short length of seal that I tried before installing it for the entire length.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 12:18

I too have been looking to try and find a gutter of some sort to stop water pouring in when you open the door. If not too windy I roll the awning out about a foot.

This looks like a good solution, but does it make the door more difficult to close, as I find that I need a couple of good slams to get it closed tightly and the wife just about finds it impossible.

David
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 14:38 Thread Starter

I agree that the door is not easy to close, particularly from the inside and it helps if a window or rooflight is open. It's a pity that it's not electrically operated like I've seen on some Renault vans.

Anyway, the rubber seal is quite soft and doesn't make it any more difficult to close.

I forgot to say earlier that it is advisable to give two coats of Evostik to get a good bond. The flange on the P section is exactly the right width to fit without trimming.

Roly
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 16:26

Thanks Roly,

I will measure up and order some once my sick van comes back from Peugeot.

David
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 16:57

Roly. I've just looked on the seal+direct website and there is no P367 only P41-43. Which one of these would you suggest? Thanks.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 17:04

I too have this problem with my 2009 LWB Ducato, and wondered how to solve it !! Many thanks for this idea !
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 17:52

What an excellent idea!

In my 2005 Transit I get the odd drip in. I've pulled the door in and adjusted a few times but still get a drip in once in a while. Tends only to be if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction; the seal is slightly dirty; its the wrong type of rain.

Really been quite a challenge but never really worth the effort of, perhaps, dripping once every month or two.

This idea looks neat though so I will investigate further...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-12-2009, 18:51 Thread Starter

I took the number from the invoice. Looking at the catalogue it is listed as P42 at £4.20 a metre.

If you look HERE it's the second one down in the first section.

Roly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page