Leaking side door on X250 panel van - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-12-2018, 20:10

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Conlon View Post

Perfect , thank you very much
Hi Gavin,

Did you fit the p-shaped seal? Did it work? Have you got a photograph of the fitted seal?

I've just bought a new Fiat Ducato Camper-van, and if it's been raining, a lot of water comes in when you open the side (sliding) door. I'm thinking of trying to fit a p-shaped seal, but I'd like to get some confirmation that it works before putting Evostick on my new van!

(My previous camper-van had a u-shaped aluminium channel attached - with screws! - just above the top of the door, but along the whole length of the van. This worked most of the time, but was quite ugly)

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-12-2018, 21:07

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
What you need is the plastic stick on gutter, it's about a foot longer than the door, look on Ebay.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-12-2018, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
What you need is the plastic stick on gutter, it's about a foot longer than the door, look on Ebay.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean the Fiamma stick-on gutter?
https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma...op-300-75.html

Suggestions in forum posts seem to be divided between external guttering (like the Fiamma), and some kind of internal rubber seal. I intend to try the internal seal first - hence my question about the P-shaped seal, but not sure which one to go for.

Some say that the Fiamma guttering doesn't stick very well (the ends curl away from the body).
See the review on this page
Others say that the adhesive sticks too well, and marks the body should you wish to remove it - something I want to avoid on my new vehicle!

But if the internal seal doesn't work, I will try the Fiamma guttering.

Thanks again,

Rob

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-12-2018, 15:29

The P type seal will not do very much at all I don't think, if the original seal isn't working on a brand new van you should take it back as it may not be fitted properly, so needs looking at anyway, it may also be a faulty seal so ditto, and as you say in the OP, you have adjusted the door fitment which may still be not quite right.

However, I'd still go for the Fiamma gutter, but make sure that where it is being fitted is chemically clean, not just wiped down, and then it should stick like you know what, I can't see why anyone would want to remove it if fitted properly, but there are weird folk out there.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 27-12-2018, 15:07

Quote:
The P type seal will not do very much at all I don't think, if the original seal isn't working on a brand new van you should take it back as it may not be fitted properly, so needs looking at anyway, it may also be a faulty seal so ditto, and as you say in the OP, you have adjusted the door fitment which may still be not quite right.

However, I'd still go for the Fiamma gutter, but make sure that where it is being fitted is chemically clean, not just wiped down, and then it should stick like you know what, I can't see why anyone would want to remove it if fitted properly, but there are weird folk out there.
Thanks.
(A reply I wrote describing the problem hasn't appeared for some reason! I'll try again.)

The existing seal is between the inner top edge of the door and the inner edge of the frame (it's attached to the frame). There is no seal between the outer top edge of the door and the outer edge of the frame. Water gets in there and collects under the underneath of the top of the frame. Any disturbance and that water drops onto the top of the door which slopes inwards. While the door is closed the water then meets the seal and can't go any further. But when the door is opened, this water pours down the inside of the door - and there is a surprising amount!

I'll post here when I find a solution.

Rob
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 27-12-2018, 18:31

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
I had a similar problem with my hab door, Fiamma guttering cured it.

Barry
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 28-12-2018, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob84 View Post
Thanks.
(A reply I wrote describing the problem hasn't appeared for some reason! I'll try again.)

The existing seal is between the inner top edge of the door and the inner edge of the frame (it's attached to the frame). There is no seal between the outer top edge of the door and the outer edge of the frame. Water gets in there and collects under the underneath of the top of the frame. Any disturbance and that water drops onto the top of the door which slopes inwards. While the door is closed the water then meets the seal and can't go any further. But when the door is opened, this water pours down the inside of the door - and there is a surprising amount!

I'll post here when I find a solution.

Rob
Yes I converted a Citroen Relay to a MoHo a while ago (see link in my signature) it wasn't really a problem as we rarely used the side door, but I did fit guttering to stop water getting in when we did leave the door open.

It is after all a goods vehicle so not a problem on the production line, not got a van handy to look at but I can't think how a P seal would help with held water, but it should pass down via the sides of the doors seals to the bottom and out, maybe a seal isn't fitted correctly as I suggested a while back Rob, maybe a worth a closer look, and perhaps tap them all on tighter.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 29-12-2018, 14:27

Quote:
It is after all a goods vehicle so not a problem on the production line, not got a van handy to look at but I can't think how a P seal would help with held water, but it should pass down via the sides of the doors seals to the bottom and out, maybe a seal isn't fitted correctly as I suggested a while back Rob, maybe a worth a closer look, and perhaps tap them all on tighter.
I thought that it would be useful to include a diagram showing (a) how rain gets onto the top of the door, and (b) how I hope a P-seal would help. (The diagram is not to scale) I also include a photo of the (open) door - the white strip you can see is a plastic bath sealant strip placed to deflect water to the outside as a temporary measure.

As noted above, if the van was on a slope, the water would probably run down the sides of the door, but while it's on level ground the water stays on top of the door. Then when the door is opened it runs down the inside of the door.
Attached Images
File Type: png door1.png (23.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg img_door1.jpg (201.0 KB, 17 views)
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 29-12-2018, 22:21

I see what you mean better now Rob.

I think perhaps a p seal might help BnQ do one dunno if the dimensions would work but look at it.

I think perhaps a strip just where the inner door curves down might be a good spot, and take it down the sides about 150mm
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 31-12-2018, 14:50

Quote:
I see what you mean better now Rob.

I think perhaps a p seal might help BnQ do one dunno if the dimensions would work but look at it.

I think perhaps a strip just where the inner door curves down might be a good spot, and take it down the sides about 150mm
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had thought of ordering from Sealsdirect (their P42 Rubber P-section).
But I'll have a look at B&Q first - their website shows a couple of draught seals which may work.

Your suggestion to add another strip on the inner door curve is also a good one. Thanks!

I'll report back once I've fitted something.

Rob
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page