Heater fan switch only works on highest speed - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 08:11
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Posts: 36,903
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 945 Times in 886 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Kev, the clue was in my opening post but the van is a Compass Avantgarde 200
Ah, Specsavers again, so a std Boxer body/electrically

No idea where it might be, not done anything that early, the Fiat Forum should be able to help, it's free, same body.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 09:00 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Devon
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest Firestorm 140
Posts: 811
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Ah, Specsavers again, so a std Boxer body/electrically

No idea where it might be, not done anything that early, the Fiat Forum should be able to help, it's free, same body.
Kev, been there, done that but there is so much confusion about the actual location of the resistor pack, I thought I would ask on here, expecting that there would be many responses. Apparently, this is a common problem on all chassis' built for Peugeot, Renault, Citroen and Fiat and going back to1998!!

So, where was your 2007 version located. If there is enough interest and the location is common, I could post on here how to remedy it. Waiting for the replacement part so I can't confirm yet if it solves the problem?

As you were soldier!
colonel is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 09:12
Senior Member
 
philoaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgend, South Wales.
My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Posts: 2,112
Thanks: 29
Thanked 118 Times in 112 Posts
Personal Aire
I don't know if this may help Colonel. The thread is about the fan on a Ducato but in post #3 someone is referring to a Boxer.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149...ter-motor.html
colonel and colonel like this.
philoaks is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to philoaks For This Useful Post:
colonel (25-07-2016)
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 09:54
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Posts: 36,903
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 945 Times in 886 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Kev, been there, done that but there is so much confusion about the actual location of the resistor pack, I thought I would ask on here, expecting that there would be many responses. Apparently, this is a common problem on all chassis' built for Peugeot, Renault, Citroen and Fiat and going back to1998!!

So, where was your 2007 version located. If there is enough interest and the location is common, I could post on here how to remedy it. Waiting for the replacement part so I can't confirm yet if it solves the problem?
I've asked on the Fiat Forum for you, on my 07 relay it was to the left below the fan, but within the fan housing if that helps.

See these vids, it all looks very similar to mine.




colonel and colonel like this.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
colonel (25-07-2016)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 13:47 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Devon
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest Firestorm 140
Posts: 811
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by philoaks View Post
I don't know if this may help Colonel. The thread is about the fan on a Ducato but in post #3 someone is referring to a Boxer.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149...ter-motor.html
That's the one matey! It does seem to be the relevant post and mine is also located behind the lower passenger side dashboard. Having removed that, you can see the fan motor and the resistor pack is behind a small enclosure with a connector plug on top. You remove the two screws and the whole thing lifts out.

Some people have found it behind the heater controls switch panel, others under the drivers side of the dashboard. I kind of hoped there would be some uniformity in the location but it doesn't appear so. A replacement resistor pack is about 14 on eBay and hopefully this will fix the problem. This method of controlling the fan speed is very common amongst all vehicle manufacturers as it's cheap and cheerful. Problem is the resistor gets hot and fails very frequently so nice little earner from the garage who were going to charge 89 to fix it!!
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (604.6 KB, 15 views)

As you were soldier!
colonel is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 14:23
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Posts: 36,903
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 945 Times in 886 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
That's the one matey! It does seem to be the relevant post and mine is also located behind the lower passenger side dashboard. Having removed that, you can see the fan motor and the resistor pack is behind a small enclosure with a connector plug on top. You remove the two screws and the whole thing lifts out.

Some people have found it behind the heater controls switch panel, others under the drivers side of the dashboard. I kind of hoped there would be some uniformity in the location but it doesn't appear so. A replacement resistor pack is about 14 on eBay and hopefully this will fix the problem. This method of controlling the fan speed is very common amongst all vehicle manufacturers as it's cheap and cheerful. Problem is the resistor gets hot and fails very frequently so nice little earner from the garage who were going to charge 89 to fix it!!
One of the benefits of MHF I was told once to always run the fan at max speed for a second or two before turning off, never do mind, and only had to replace two ever.
colonel and colonel like this.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 14:39 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Devon
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest Firestorm 140
Posts: 811
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personal Aire
Location of the resistor pack on a Peugeot Boxer cab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (580.1 KB, 21 views)

As you were soldier!
colonel is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 14:41 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Devon
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest Firestorm 140
Posts: 811
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personal Aire
Dashboard panel removed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (419.2 KB, 15 views)
philoaks and philoaks like this.

As you were soldier!
colonel is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-07-2016, 16:18
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Posts: 36,903
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 945 Times in 886 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 26-07-2016, 13:37 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Devon
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest Firestorm 140
Posts: 811
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personal Aire
Just fitted the replacement resistor pack and fan now works on all speeds. Patted self on back

As you were soldier!
colonel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome