Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Russia Touring (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/147-russia-touring/)
-   -   To Russia with love (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/147-russia-touring/238547-russia-love.html)

jiwawa 13-04-2020 09:25

To Russia with love

I should've been sitting in the queue waiting to board the boat right now. I wonder will I refresh this thread next year?

erneboy 13-04-2020 09:50

Poor Jean. Still better not. Next year promises to be somewhat better, in the West at least. I would be less confident about Russia though, unfortunately.

Give the West of Ireland a go when things calm down maybe? No matter how often I travel there I still love going back.

jiwawa 13-04-2020 10:32

My husband n I had always said we'd travel further afield while we could (health, insurance etc) then restrict ourselves to UK when EU was too difficult... then restrict to Ireland later.

But yes, those ideals may have to take a back seat for a bit. And the west is indeed beautiful.

Then I'm reminded of our reason for abandoning the west all those years ago, when the kids were little.... A month in the rain....!!

erneboy 13-04-2020 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiwawa (Post 3086395)
My husband n I had always said we'd travel further afield while we could (health, insurance etc) then restrict ourselves to UK when EU was too difficult... then restrict to Ireland later.

But yes, those ideals may have to take a back seat for a bit. And the west is indeed beautiful.

Then I'm reminded of our reason for abandoning the west all those years ago, when the kids were little.... A month in the rain....!!

That's why we don't live in Ireland any more.

Around 12 years ago sitting in the van one mid summers day at Rossigh looking out over Lough Erne for the third day of incessant rain in a row. I honestly though I was going to cry. I said to Mrs Eb, "I just have to get out of here. I can't live in this climate any more."

It is so beautiful when the weather is nice but that is fairly rare.

dghr272 13-04-2020 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by erneboy (Post 3086439)
That's why we don't live in Ireland any more.

Around 12 years ago sitting in the van one mid summers day at Rossigh looking out over Lough Erne for the third day of incessant rain in a row. I honestly though I was going to cry. I said to Mrs Eb, "I just have to get out of here. I can't live in this climate any more."

It is so beautiful when the weather is nice but that is fairly rare.

We spent about 18years of weekend and holiday breaks at Castle Archdale, even our kids noticed the Fermanagh cloud as we approached.

A local in the Necarne Bar had the perfect reply when a blow in like us was complaining bitterly about the rain, ďsure you wouldnít have the lough to play in if it wasnít for the rainĒ he tersely replied to the moaning holiday maker.

Also a factor in us selling up and buying a motorhome to head to sunnier climates once retirement was an option.

Similar to Jean we were due to depart tomorrow for Spain............sigh !

Terry

jiwawa 13-04-2020 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghr272 (Post 3086463)
Similar to Jean we were due to depart tomorrow for Spain............sigh !

Terry

Life's tough! Still, in the scheme of things we're actually pretty lucky.

raynipper 14-04-2020 06:49

For me a lot of the pleasure is the planning and anticipation of the event. Trips, holidays or just the winter getaway which was cancelled this year but next winters getaway I'm hoping will be on by Dec. We live in hopes.:grin2:

Ray.

erneboy 14-04-2020 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiwawa (Post 3086559)
Life's tough! Still, in the scheme of things we're actually pretty lucky.

Judging by the announcements from France and Spain there'll be no tourist season in either country this year. I think that many businesses won't be able to survive that, not least all those depending on motorhomes.

The restaurant next to us is German run and provides mainly German food. It depends almost exclusively on the passing trade it gets from the huge numbers of passing German motorhomers. For numerous reasons, not the least of which is that it's not near any sizeable conurbations, I don't think it could successfully be rethemed so as to appeal to the Spanish. I hope they have the resources to survive this.

dghr272 14-04-2020 12:05

Our friends that run the site we head to have expressed the concern that their viability to open again is under threat, many of their local business owner friends are in the same position. Whilst the Spanish lockdown is being slightly eased, unless they can demonstrate they can maintain social distancing itís very limited. I suspect businesses that are heavily reliant on foreign nationals will be way down the list of priorities.

Terry

erneboy 14-04-2020 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghr272 (Post 3086663)
Our friends that run the site we head to have expressed the concern that their viability to open again is under threat, many of their local business owner friends are in the same position. Whilst the Spanish lockdown is being slightly eased, unless they can demonstrate they can maintain social distancing itís very limited. I suspect businesses that are heavily reliant on foreign nationals will be way down the list of priorities.

Terry

Added to that Germans in general and most Brits, quite wrongly, think the Spanish Health System is practically third world so I'd say the older ones are very unlikely to come here this year or at least till there's a vaccine. We'll see.