Gas to use in Spain - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 17:18 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Gas to use in Spain

I am sure this subject has been raised before but I have been unable to find anything on it in the Forums.

We have booked with C&CC for nearly two months in Spain this winter at two of their rallies (La Manga and Monmar in January/February).

We have two 6kg Calor cylinders fitted to our Autotrail Cheyenne, one attached to pipework and one to swap with when empty. I know that Calor is not available abroad and am after advice on what is the best solution to have a gas supply when overseas. This is our first venture into MHing and with a tightish budget Gaslow or similar is not an option. I know that Calor offer hire of foreign cylinders against a refundable deposit, any good?

If I need to use a different make of cylinder is it just a case of using the relevant regulator on a new gas pipe tail and connect or is it more complicated than that (can't you tell I'm a novice).

Any advice including anything I have not mentioned above would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 17:28

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 600SP
Gas to use in Spain

Hi
I think that you will need different pigtail (gas pipe) and possibly regulator to enable you to fit a Spanish bottle. In Spain you will have to take out a contract for a Repsol bottle.
Otherwise of course fit a Gaslow or Autogas 2000 system-much simpler and better in the long run.
Kind regards
Alshymer
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 17:42

Hi Venturer

You will probably find all the answers you need in the Members Motorhoming Guides, in this excellent article by our own Rayhook.

>> Click here <<

There are also a number of other excellent guides in the same forum, which cover a range of important and useful topics.

The whole collection of guides can be found >> here <<

Dave

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 17:43

I know nothing about pigtails but, from bitter experience, know that not all continental gas bottles fit through the doors of British motorhome gas lockers. It might be useful to find out the size of any bottle you are likely to be able to buy in Spain. I do know that most French ones are given on the suppliers website but don't know if this is true of Spanish ones.

Do you have a small fan heater and electric hotplate/Remoska/ halogen oven or whatever so that much of your heating and cooking can be via electricity ? You might then find you don't need to buy another bottle of gas.

G
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 17:51

Hi Grizz

Good point.

Ray gives details of the size of the Spanish Cepsa bottle on page 10 of the guide I mentioned above.

I don't know about other Spanish bottles since we have never been there in the van.

Dave
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 19:18

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Sometimes you can hire bottles from campsites against a deposit. Don't know if you can at these two sites but plenty of members on here have over wintered on these sites and should know?

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 19:39

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Have a look at >this post< and PM the author.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 21:11

Repsol and Galpgaz Butano standard bottles in Spain are about the same physical size as a 13kg Calor bottle here.Repsol do sell a smaller bottle ( cant remember Gas weight) but its a bit fatter and shorter than a 6kg Calor. You can buy outright though without contract at most filling stations and Ferreterias etc.
However you will need the clip/plug on type connector with on/off valve.Buy one here with hose attached,available from most good caravan/camping stores as it will be without regulator.The one you will see mostly in Spain have a regulator built in as its for use with cooker/heater/barbecue.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2011, 21:26

gas

Rays article covers ALL that one needs to know about gas and bottles thanks ZEB
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-08-2011, 17:18 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks for all your comments and the link to the MHF guide to gas in Europe. I think that I will be best with the existing 6kg Calor bottle plus a means of connecting and using Camping Gaz cylinders. This seems a simple solution suggetsed by Arty (thanks)It is becoming clearer but I am still a bit unsure as to whether I can connect a CampingGaz cylinder to my system. If I can it will solve my dilemma.

On the 6Kg Calor Propane cylinder fitted to my MH is a 37mbar regulator to which a rubber pipe connects it to a copper gas pipe leading to the appliances.

I know there is an adaptor available that allows Camping Gas bottles to connect to a Calor Gas fitting but in the info everywhere I can only see it mention Calor BUTANE fittings.

Would I need to connect the adaptor to the Camping Gaz cylinder then have an in line 28mbar regulator (I've just realised this can't be done as the two fittings fit to each other)

OK, if I use a standard Camping Gas fitting to connect to the CG cylinder which in turn is connected to a 28mbar regulator then connected to the copper gas pipe via a rubber gas hose would this work and be safe. I am not worried about making connections gas tight but I am concerned about getting the right fittings in the line.

I have looked at our Spinflo cooker and the water heater and they both specify 37mbar Propane and 28-30 mbar Butane. Does this mean that both would work on either given the correct regulators. I have assumed the Dometic three way fridge is the same as the plate inside is a little corroded and unclear.

I hope the above explains my problem and why I am uncertain as to how to proceed to get a system that will be flexible enough to use and be safe in use as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page