German Gas Cylinder - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 12:03 Thread Starter

German Gas Cylinder

A friend of mine is buying a Hymer in Germany which has 2 German gas bottles ( propane I think).
This may sound like a stupid question but how will he be able to refill them when in this country and France?
He can't can he?

Thanks

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 13:46

Re: German Gas Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45
A friend of mine is buying a Hymer in Germany which has 2 German gas bottles ( propane I think).
This may sound like a stupid question but how will he be able to refill them when in this country and France?
He can't can he?
Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob

I have to ask, "Why would he want to, when he can quite easily get a couple of empty Calor cylinders from the local tip for the price of a six-pack or a box of fancy biscuits?"

I just wouldn't bother, 'cos you are right - he won't be able to exchange them here, and almost certainly not in France, except perhaps near the German border . . . maybe?

Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 14:14

When I bought My Hymer in Germany in November 2006 I was supplied with a part full cylinder. We were travelling through Belgium and I ran out of gas and was told to go to a gas filling plant (West Gas) at Poperinger. They took my cylinder and filled it in their plant while I waited.

On arrival in the UK I purchased adaptors that would convert from the German fitting to UK Propane. However the gas locker would not take 2 x 13kg cylinder as they are fatter than the German 11kg cylinders. I finished up with 1 x 13kg and 1 x 6 kg before I fitted a bulk tank and freed up the gas locker for extra leisure batteries and an inverter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 14:37

This is going to be controversial , but you can buy an adaptor on e-bay to fill them from a LPG pump ( standby for disapproving comments ) . I had to do so because previous M/H had heated regulators when bought secondhand in Germany and i transferred system to new van purchased last year because i discovered they really worked at - 12 C .
I've not blown myself up in the last 6 years and now have 1 German , 1 French ( same thread as german ) and 1 Calor ( with adaptor ) and put into van as approppriate for trip and so I can swap cylinders in the approved manner if necessary .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45
This may sound like a stupid question but how will he be able to refill them when in this country and France? He can't can he?
Are they refillable bottles? UK refillables like Gaslow have an 80% cutoff to stop you overfilling them.

How much time will be spend in France, and in which season? Does he need refillable bottles? We used to find we could do 3 weeks on the continent easily with 2 Calor bottles on board. More so when on sites with hookup for the fridge & kettle.

We went to Gaslow because we spend long periods in France in spring and autumn on aires with no hookup, so we need the flexibility that a refillable system gives us.

Gerald

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 15:51

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldandannie
Are they refillable bottles?
Most probably not. If the MH were equipped with (user-)refillable bottles, then this would certainly have been said so in the ad. This is because re-fillable bottles - which must be firmly attached to the vehicle in Germany - are significantly more expensive than standard bottles.

The standard German gas bottles with a grey(ish) colour can only be refilled at certified filling stations operated by qualified staff. They are distributed via an exchange system: Users bring empty bottles to the dealer and exchange them against full ones, paying only the price for the content which includes a service/handling charge. The advantage of this system is that one filling station can server multiple outlets, like DIY stores, petrol stations etc. However, unlike in some other exchange systems, the bottles become property of the user, so there is no obligation to refund the bottle price if someone wants to leave the system.

Standard German bottles are also exchanged in Netherlands, Belgium and Austria, but nowhere else.

My recommendation to Bob's friend would be to take over the van without gas bottles, then driving it back home and have it retrofitted with UK bottles. Or, at least, only take one German bottle and not two.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

Euramobil Sport 585DS (C-class):
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-06-2015, 17:34

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
He can't can he?

Thanks

Bob
I have 2 German gas bottles one full, one empty and don't know how to get rid of them. Any suggestions?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-06-2015, 23:35

My Motorhome: Hymer 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
He can't can he?

Thanks

Bob
Easiest solution is to get two Flo-Gas 11Kg bottles. These fit perfectly in the Hymer gas locker and he should have no problem with changing them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-06-2015, 01:07

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieivan View Post
Easiest solution is to get two Flo-Gas 11Kg bottles. These fit perfectly in the Hymer gas locker and he should have no problem with changing them.
can you exchange Flo-Gas bottles in France, as the OP desires?

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page