LPG/Propane bottle filling adapter - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 22:49 Thread Starter

LPG/Propane bottle filling adapter

Hi
Bought one of these here LPG Adapters off Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=011
and an adapter for it to make it fit french LPG pumps. I haven't got it yet, but it only cost 44 all in and the guy promised me a refund if I wasn't entirely satisfied

Has anyone used one? I see he's sold loads and the feedback is all positive. Anyone any comments to make about their use at all?

Compared to the 500+ for a Gaslow conversion I thought this worth trying, ok not as elegant, but I can put up with a little inconvenience for half a grand.

I've searched and found nothing at all on this site about these, is this the best kept secret, or have I just wasted my time? (bearing in mind I should get my money back if all else fails)

Look forward to hearing the comments.

Dunk

You're only young once, but you can remain immature indefinately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 22:59

My Motorhome: 2015 Bailey Approach Autograph 740
Do yourself a favour and read some of the previous threads on this subject. You might just save your life or the life of someone that you love.
There is a reason why Gaslow or others charge so much, they deal in safety. The guy on Ebay has got your money and couldn't give a toss about your safety.
LPG is dangerous and volatile. If it leaks and explodes it will take your MH and everyone in it. If it does that on a Ferry or Tunnel, God alone knows.
Unfortunately, the sales of these things are not banned.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 22:59

>> Look forward to hearing the comments.

Oh no you don't.

You've just bought a time bomb.

Those fillers don't prevent overfilling.

You overfill, drive into sunshine, the tank splits or vents and they may identify you by your teeth.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 22:59

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 23:19

Listen to what hilldweller says - that thing is lethal.
We have just returned from touring France/Spain/Portugal using Gaslow refillable cylinders - must have filled them ten times without any hitches whatsoever, never felt in danger and well worth the money spent.
Some Spanish Repsol depots will fill your "unsual" cylinders using their own adapters but they weigh the cylinders very carefully to ensure that they only fill them 80%. If you were seen using that adapter in France at a normal filling station for GPL they'd get the cops on to you.
Don't use it - take the hit in the pocket.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 23:22

LPG/Propane bottle filling adapter

Hi slamdunk69 They are not safe and they will ban you if your caught doing it! with a gaslow bottle they are fitted with a 80% cut off valve, so you cant overfill it top up when you like and the filler is on the outside just like our lpg car. Gaslow is one of the best things we have brought.When Calor fill bottles they have to be empty and its done on weight by people that are trained to do it in a depot. NO IN A GARAGE with other people about. good luck.Bob.

DO NOT USE IT!
ITS NOT SAFE.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 23:27

I've reported this to Fleabay 5 or 6 times. I've had no response & they're still for sale.

They'll be legislated out of existence...........once someone's killed
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 Thread Starter

Hi All
Well, thanks for the response, not exactly what I was hoping for perhaps, but okay, common sense prevails, I'l have to see if the guy's as good as his word and refunds my hard earned.

I searched for quite some time throughout the forums and found no reference whatsoever to this device. Surely if it were such an issue then surely it would be much, much easier to locate advice and comments on the subject.

Ok so it's not a lot of cash if it doesn't work out, but to risk your life is a different kettle of fish. But I do feel a little let down that this forum wasn't able to quickly and easily disabuse me of the notion that buying one of these things was a good idea. As it was...well, no news isn't necessarily good news, but it sure aint bad news either.

Maybe the mods can post a sticky to make it easy for people to get the danger signs spelled out to them early.

thanks again all

Dunk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunk69
Surely if it were such an issue then surely it would be much, much easier to locate advice and comments on the subject.

Maybe the mods can post a sticky to make it easy for people to get the danger signs spelled out to them early.
This forum engine does a brilliant job of burying data. The high traffic compounds this. I guess the boss will say that you should have used SEARCH but you never suspected that there was a serious safety issue with your purchase. Some filling stations would not even let you connect up their pump.

Someone else was asking for a GAS TOPIC and you highlight the need for this.

In fact a VERY heavily moderated SAFETY CRITICAL topic would be a good idea.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 00:11 Thread Starter

Thanks Brian
Good points you make. I'm sure it would not be too onerous a task for the moderators to create a seperate gas safety forum, as it is such a volatile subject

WRT to using the search function, I searched for any combination of the terms { propane, lpg, filling and adapter } and got nothing that referred to the device I bought...Ho Hum, perhaps I should have asked the question first. The speed and quantity of responses was astounding. Though it seems there is a division of belief in those that think the device is safe to use and those who think it not.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice and comments

Dunk

You're only young once, but you can remain immature indefinately

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page