Refillable gas cylinders - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By patp
  • 1 Post By Pudsey_Bear
  • 1 Post By H1-GBV
  • 1 Post By Pudsey_Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2021, 11:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Refillable gas cylinders

This van has 2 x 6kg which is mega expensive gas, the doorway is too narrow for a 13kg, so I was thinking of getting a Gasit 11kg one, but there was talk a little while ago of petrol stations taking out their LPG tanks and pumps so I am wondering what the situation is actually like at the moment, Last time I fitted a system I got a POL attachment which meant I could also use a Calor bottle in emergencies, here's my rubbish video of me showing the fitting of one, I don't mention that you can still use Calor but it is fairly obvious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2021, 07:07

We have an on board, refillable, tank on the fifth wheel. The answer about the petrol stations is that, yes, the big stations like BP and Shell no longer offer it at the pump. Where the petrol station is on a franchise, however, they can still offer it. There is one not too far from us but not sure which chain it is part of. There is also an on line list of fuel stations somewhere that I cam across. I sent them an email telling them about the one near us so that they could add it.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2021, 10:49 Thread Starter

Liz seems to think it's a waste of money, I might agree if we could get the bigger cylinders in but 6kg doesn't last long even less in winter and we do use vans in winter normally, I was looking at this site this morning at it seems to be still popular even in Scotland, less so up there due to population but you plan ahead anyway.

Anyone know the diameter of the 11kg cylinders from Gasit? I need to see if they will fit through the gas locker door or not.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2021, 10:52 Thread Starter

Farned it.

Dimensions with Shroud: 580mm height x 304mm diameter or Dimensions without Shroud fitted : 550mm height x 304mm diameter.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/11kggenoption.html
raynipper likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2021, 11:37

For me, refillable bottles were a question of convenience versus expense.

We ran out of lpg (2x13kg bottles!) at CCC Cheddar Hills, one cool morning after breakfast. The warden took my money, brought a replacement Calor then said "Oh, these are FloGas: we can't change them!" We spent most of the day looking for a supplier, but (Total?) had just been taken over and no-one would provide gas.

Calor dealers would lease me a bottle for some exorbitant price, but where would I put it? Eventually we "bought" an empty 6kg Calor from a CCC THS site for a 50p donation to their charity and I exchanged that, placing an empty FloGas in the shower.

So reading about refillables I bought two bottles from someone on here for 120. They are cheaper to use BUT have I saved 120? I don't think so.
I should be able to refill them on the Continent but I never have: they last a month easily (Spain - Apr/May, Germany Sep/Oct) without much recourse to ehu (4-5 days max).

Given the reports about problems with filling, I now travel with one refillable plus one 13kg Calor. We use Calor for cooking at home so always have two "in use" with a full one ready to pop into the van if we're off for a long period abroad (Mary Hopkin: Those were the days!).

HTH - Gordon

I've never refilled in UK whilst touring: my local MOT/repair garage has a large FloGas tank and happily helps me remove the bottles and fills up while I watch.
Calor charge 24.50 for 6kg (12litre) = 2 per litre; 38.50 for 13kg (26l) = 1.50 per litre.
My garage was 83p per litre on Monday: more than Morrisons but no hassle! (Plus support for local business, who always gives me a reduced rate on MOT )
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2021, 12:38 Thread Starter

Cost is of course always an issue but not a big one, I first had Refillable in the Selfbuild, and found it very convenient but it was a cheap job as the cylinder was used @ 50 plus the fittings, the next van had it in, but I removed it when I sold it as the buyer couldn't grasp the concept, fitted it to the next van, and sold the kit with the van, I bought a single 11kg for the next van and sold that with the van, I bought a 2x11kg for the next van then sold the van without fitting it, lost money selling the kit when Liz was giving me grief for it sitting there and I was selling the van we bought it for, when I bought the self build back he had swapped it out for a spare wheel type, as said Liz isn't keen but it isn't her who has to lift them in and out and bugger bout with the fitting, so I'm seriously considering an 11kg and exterior filler point with a Calor adaptor, looking for used if anyone knows of one, but will buy new if I have to, not a big job to fit them, and I have the right hole saws already.
H1-GBV likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2021, 17:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
We 1st moved to refillable after I struggled, half bent over in the garage, to get an old 13kg out and (worse) a new one in. Nearly killed me and I was a lot younger then.

Never regretted the switch.

Jean
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2021, 08:48 Thread Starter

I have asked the agent to fit them before now, but I can usually manage, but not anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page