Trying to change from Propane gas in van to Butane - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 19:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Sweet Maxi
Trying to change from Propane gas in van to Butane

Mainly I guess from Spanish touring motorhomes as I have run out of onboard Propane gas twice and found it very hard to find a Repsol garage to renew it, but eventually did. So I thought I would convert to Butane gas, so I knew the regulator would need changing but Butane is everywhere in Repsol garages. On viewing I spotted another regulator attached to the gas bottle storage place on the ceiling. Realising, very little, but I know Propane is better in cold weather and has more pressure this other regulator 30 mbar 1.5kg/h model type 424RV for controlling LPG i guess. I looked it up on Youtube and it said these are okay on butane or propane gas, so I thought right i just need a Butane bottle and regulator for it. Armed with limited knowledge I went to a motorcaravan dealer etc today who said in Spain this is all correct and you can just change the propane bottle anytime for a butane gas bottle.
So my question to all that may know, is this okay and safe before I try it soon. They had propane bottles they thought but on checking they only had empty ones. So the first thinking alternative was carry a spare propane and have more time to source another but really need to change to Butane, they are everywhere. Both bottles are red/orange unlike UK I think Butane is blue.
Cheers

Born to travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 19:38

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencepaul View Post
Mainly I guess from Spanish touring motorhomes as I have run out of onboard Propane gas twice and found it very hard to find a Repsol garage to renew it, but eventually did. So I thought I would convert to Butane gas, so I knew the regulator would need changing but Butane is everywhere in Repsol garages. On viewing I spotted another regulator attached to the gas bottle storage place on the ceiling. Realising, very little, but I know Propane is better in cold weather and has more pressure this other regulator 30 mbar 1.5kg/h model type 424RV for controlling LPG i guess. I looked it up on Youtube and it said these are okay on butane or propane gas, so I thought right i just need a Butane bottle and regulator for it. Armed with limited knowledge I went to a motorcaravan dealer etc today who said in Spain this is all correct and you can just change the propane bottle anytime for a butane gas bottle.
So my question to all that may know, is this okay and safe before I try it soon. They had propane bottles they thought but on checking they only had empty ones. So the first thinking alternative was carry a spare propane and have more time to source another but really need to change to Butane, they are everywhere. Both bottles are red/orange unlike UK I think Butane is blue.
Cheers
The bulkhead regulator is good for both propane and butane so all you need is the correct high pressure hose to go from the bottle to the regulator. You do not need any other regulator. High pressure hoses are readily available in France / Spain etc. They will not though be interested in your UK bottle and you will have to buy a bottle and of course carry your empty original bottle or dispose of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-07-2020)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 20:17

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
The Repsols round here all carry both propane and butane. But the bottles for both use the same fitting as Ray says. You need to be a bit careful buying this in Spain because a regulator looks exactly the same as the unregulated fitting you will need for the top of the bottle and to which you will connect your high pressure hose leading to your bulkhead regulator.

As I said the look exactly the same. One is a regulator (regulador in Spanish) and the other is just an unregulated connector. You can tell the one you want because it will be called salida libre, which translates as free exit and means it is unregulated. Ask for a regulador salida libre. https://www.amazon.es/Butsir-REPU003...2&sr=8-3-spell

I know it's not a regulator but still, that is what it's called. Most Ironmongers (Ferreterias) or Chinese Bazars will have them.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-07-2020)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 20:50 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
The bulkhead regulator is good for both propane and butane so all you need is the correct high pressure hose to go from the bottle to the regulator. You do not need any other regulator. High pressure hoses are readily available in France / Spain etc. They will not though be interested in your UK bottle and you will have to buy a bottle and of course carry your empty original bottle or dispose of it.
Many thanks and it seems the garage was correct then. I have a complete Propane system but thought maybe the bottle regulator would have to be changed but it seems not too and I can just push it on a butane bottle after all.
cheers

Born to travel
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 21:03 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
The Repsols round here all carry both propane and butane. But the bottles for both use the same fitting as Ray says. You need to be a bit careful buying this in Spain because a regulator looks exactly the same as the unregulated fitting you will need for the top of the bottle and to which you will connect your high pressure hose leading to your bulkhead regulator.

As I said the look exactly the same. One is a regulator (regulador in Spanish) and the other is just an unregulated connector. You can tell the one you want because it will be called salida libre, which translates as free exit and means it is unregulated. Ask for a regulador salida libre. https://www.amazon.es/Butsir-REPU003...2&sr=8-3-spell

I know it's not a regulator but still, that is what it's called. Most Ironmongers (Ferreterias) or Chinese Bazars will have them.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in Spain but Repsol propane bottles have been big trouble to find both times ours ran out and funny enough both in Murcia. We even went to the depot that had them last time and that looked closed down and another run around was needed. Hence my thought after this big lockdown i decided to switch to butane if safe to do so. So my propane system does not need any changes other than the gas bottle. I thought I would have to change the regulator at least on the bottle which is a solid type and connected to the other ceiling regulator by nuts as is the bottle regulator end. Thought that hose would be the bit to change and the regulator you see. So now it looks like I can safely push the original regulator onto a butane gas bottle. cheers
erneboy likes this.

Born to travel
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 21:13

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
It used to be that butane operated at 28mb from memory and the reg delivered that and propane was I think 34 my. They were all standardised at 30mb and both work well. You simply need the correct connector, in France the actual screw thread (left hand) is identical so swapping is straight ahead.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-07-2020)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-07-2020, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by terencepaul View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in Spain but Repsol propane bottles have been big trouble to find both times ours ran out and funny enough both in Murcia. We even went to the depot that had them last time and that looked closed down and another run around was needed. Hence my thought after this big lockdown i decided to switch to butane if safe to do so. So my propane system does not need any changes other than the gas bottle. I thought I would have to change the regulator at least on the bottle which is a solid type and connected to the other ceiling regulator by nuts as is the bottle regulator end. Thought that hose would be the bit to change and the regulator you see. So now it looks like I can safely push the original regulator onto a butane gas bottle. cheers
Ah yes, sorry I think I knew you lived in Spain but had forgotten.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-07-2020)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 09:58

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
It used to be that butane operated at 28mb from memory and the reg delivered that and propane was I think 34 my. They were all standardised at 30mb and both work well. You simply need the correct connector, in France the actual screw thread (left hand) is identical so swapping is straight ahead.

I am still operating with two propane bottles(1xGaslow refillable and !xCalor(unused as back-up) The regulator is 37mb and screws with 21.8 LH thread direct onto either bottle.

Having a refillable top up is from LPG pumps, where the supply is a mixture of Propane and Butane and the percentage is varied according to monthly ambient temperature and geographical location. Thus the MH owner does not need to decide on which gas to use.

The only disadvantage of relying on the LPG mix being correct is if one were to fill e.g. in S. Spain in Aug, with a high % of Butane in the mix, and still be carrying that fill when visiting the Pyrenees in Oct, where a higher % of Propane would be more appropriate.

But with that caveat in mind, and some planning as to where one fills at what season and with the quantity needed for the time in the area, the refillable solves the mixture problem and would for the OP's problem.

Refillable LPG gas is cheaper generally and one uuses all of it eventually, by not swapping exchange bottles early with some gas left.

Geoff
Penquin likes this.

Last edited by nicholsong; 15-07-2020 at 10:00.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
Penquin (15-07-2020), terencepaul (18-07-2020)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 12:59

LPG isn't that much cheaper in Spain and it's not that plentiful.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 15-07-2020, 19:28

My Motorhome: VW T4 Crusader Campervan
Personal Aire
We got ours Repsol Propane lightweight bottle from an ironmongers shop but that was in Portugal, maybe ironmongers in Spain have them.
The Following User Says Thank You to randonneur For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-07-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page