how do I turn the cooker on??? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 01:09 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
how do I turn the cooker on???

Hi All,

Absolutely brand new to the Motorhome World.

Have bought myself a Mercedes 208d Autotrail Comanche 1990

Don't have a clue how the stuff inside works

Please help me!!!

First I nee to know how to switch the cooker/oven and fridge on....they are connected to a gas canister (15kg calories gas blue butane canister) which I thought was empty because after turning the switches on nothing seems to still work...I thought maybe there is no gas in it so took it to get it swapped...the chap there told me it definitely has gas in it...he also told me threes a separate lever which turns the gas on....please can anyone help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 07:42

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Hang on Ibby, someone will be along to advise shortly.
First is the regulator on top of the bottle turned on, anti clock or possibly side lever?

Welcome.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 08:19

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Are you in the UK?

Can you post a picture of the gas regulator etc. on or around your gas bottle?

There will be separate isolation taps for the gas supply to cooker, heater and fridge, normally found in a cupboard in the vicinity of cooker, they need to be turned to on.

Your van will originally have been fitted with a bottle mounted gas regulator, they often have a button which needs to be pressed to allow gas to flow after the bottle isolation valve has been opened.
Build regulations changed and the bottle mounted one was changed for a bulkhead mounted one, these often incorporated crash isolating devices, yours may have been changed for that type some time in its life.

John

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 08:31

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
You will have isolation taps for the fridge cooker water heater gas fire may be under the sink make sure these are turned on
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 16:20

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Yes, definitely need a pic of the top of your gas bottle. Also, being butane, maybe it's too cold for it to work properly? Propane is the gas of choice in colder weather.

Jean
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 18:52

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Once you have ensured that the cylinder is turned on (I always open mine fully, then back half a turn, that way if it moves at all, it's on - trick from my diving days which has endured don't run out of air st depth...).

Then check any in- line switches are on (often in a cupboard beside the oven with three or four switches in line),

Then, open the glass lid fully - there is a cut off switch that won't allow gas to pass unless lid fully open,

Then turn a knob on for the cooker - you should hear gas coming out but it will take a few seconds to purge the air from the pipe, then try lighting by pushing the button. This will only go click click click if the 12v supply to the back is switched on at the control panel.

It should now light..... if there is no gas flowing check at each joint, if you have a dual regulator it should be pointing to the cylinder that you are using.

You will need to do the purging routine for each ring, and the oven and the fridge and the water heater and the space heater - that may mean trying to light eg the water heater, it will cut off after 30s if no gas and that can be seen by a red light on the thermostat control knob. Turn it to the off position then back to on and repeat several times until it fires - you may hear a dull whoomph as it goes (technical term for lighting noise).

I hope that helps, if not let us know as many details as you can about the set up - a picture is worth 1000 words.....

Do let us know how it all goes and welcome to the forum. Many people don't lift the glass lid fully and wonder why it won't light...

Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-02-2020, 13:38

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Ah! now then to light the gas, you need to have the Sargent above the entrance door switched on.
I see Penguin has already said that and explained the next movements, he calls it a control panel though. So Ill sign out.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-02-2020, 15:32

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Ah! now then to light the gas, you need to have the Sargent above the entrance door switched on.
I see Penguin has already said that and explained the next movements, he calls it a control panel though. So Ill sign out.
The van is a 1990 model, don't think they had that level of sophistication then!

HurricaneSmith and raynipper like this.

John
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-02-2020, 15:36

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
The van is a 1990 model, don't think they had that level of sophistication then!

Sorry, yes I missed the date, give me 2 for trying
eurajohn likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 14:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
hi

yes its all turned on but cooker doesn't come on...please can someone help me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page