Gaslow (etc) fIller mounting position? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 14:55 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia Platin I8400QD
Gaslow (etc) fIller mounting position?

New motorhome, and Iím missing the refillable gas bottles already - so itís time to get the drill out

I donít particularly want to mount the filler point inside the locker, and there isnít an obvious place to put it externally (other than in the gas locker door itself). We have a secumotion regulator etc - so limited need to open the locker door.

Iíve seen advice in a number of places about not mounting the fill point in the locker door due to the potential stress when opening and closing said door. Given that the only times the door would need to be opened are at fill up and Eurotunnel boarding, and providing care is taken when opening and closing the door, and the hose connecting the fill point to the cylinders is long enough - is this a definite no, or a proceed with caution?

In the last week or two, Iíve seen three motorhomes with fill points in their gas locker doors . . .

All advice and thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks,
John

If only I could think of an original, witty signature . . . this is where it would be . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 15:40

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Ours is mounted in the skirt, just below and to the left of the locker so that the feed hose goes through the locker wall to the fill point,Netherlands skirt is fairly easy to use as there are no delicate parts behind it if care is taken as regards positioning to avoid cross members etc.

That way our door only needs to be opened when needed and then there are no strains on the connecting hose or joints.

That was our choice and it works for us.
Ozzyjohn and Webby1 like this.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 16:29

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
Ours is mounted on the sidewall next to the gas locker door. This alleviates any worries about stressing the filler pipework.
You do need to have space between the locker door and end of gas locker to fit the filler. Iíve obtained, off tíinternet, a smart Ďautogasí label that curves round the filler cap which keeps jobsworthies at bay. Makes filling with gas as quick and easy as filling with diesel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 814E5D82-4F36-4F0B-8716-8ABFABDD1DBE.jpg (321.6 KB, 16 views)
Ozzyjohn and Pudsey_Bear like this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 17:35

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Our filler point is mounted in the skirt just below and forward of the gas locker.

The skirt is alloy, so needed a lot of cutting with circular bit, but it is a secure mounting with little movement, so did not require a backing plate or re-inforcement, which might be a good idea if the material affixed to is weak/flexible.

Geoff
Ozzyjohn likes this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 19:52 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - helpful as always. Our locker door is the same size as the locker behind it - so I would have to take the fill hose through the side of the locker before exiting through the outer bodywork. The locker is just aft of the front offside wheel, so Iíll have to do some more investigation as to what is behind the bodywork aft of the locker. Or I could go down through the floor of the locker and out through the (alloy) skirt. The latter sounds more promising - Iíll report back when Iíve had a good look in daylight (tomorrow).

The skirt is slightly curved (top to bottom) - will I have problems getting the fIller to sit properly on the curve?

Regards,
John

If only I could think of an original, witty signature . . . this is where it would be . . .
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 20:05

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Our skirt is slightly curved and it does not seem to cause any problems, good luck, feel free to post some pics if you would like the considered opinions of others that have been there and done it. We chose to go out through the side of the locker box which is a plastic entity and was dead simple to go through.

The most nervy part was cutting the hole in the skirt - that takes great big brass one's..... and a suitable hole cutter of course (aka "the other half" ). 🤔

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
Ozzyjohn (17-04-2019)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 21:36

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
My filler point is also in the skirt. I did have a problem with the cap being very difficult to remove (you can't really get a good grip of it) but apparently it was easy enough to loosen a bit.

I didn't do any of this work myself.
Ozzyjohn likes this.

Jean
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 22:16 Thread Starter

Thanks - Iíll have a look tmrw and take a few pictures (after I get back from the torture queen - aka the dentist).

Regards
John
Penquin likes this.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 17-04-2019, 09:39

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
John

Our skirt also has a slight cirve to it. I think we just put a squirt of clear silicone behind the flange of the filler and it pulled up tight on that OK.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
Ozzyjohn (17-04-2019)
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 17-04-2019, 09:52

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Liks Spacerunner, I have a space inside the locker beside the door to have the filler on this van, but on other vans, I get a longer filler pipe (which also needs changing just like the orange Calor cylinder pipes) there is a part which fits around the pipe to prevent chafing and go through the floor to the valance.

You can also get a 10mm plastic coated pipe to allow the filler to be on the opposite side of the van.
Ozzyjohn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page