Gaslow (etc) fIller mounting position? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 14:54 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia Platin I8400QD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
I am VERY surprised that Francis can get away with fitting them there since surely the purpose of the gas locker box is to isolate the gas supply from any potential spark source and having fuses BEHIND gas cylinders would not do that......

Moving that fuse block away from the locker would be something that I would be asking the manufacturer about......

If your vehicle is new, then VOSA may wish to have an input into what must surely be a potentially dangerous location ?
It is new, weíve had it for just over a month - and I will contact Frankia to see what they may have to say about it. Iím reasonably confident that they will have taken enough care when assembling the vehicle to ensure that the seal between the fuses and gas locker is adequate. Iím less confident that the seal would still be good enough once the panel has been removed and refitted if a fuse ever needs to be replaced. Iím very doubtful it would survive repeated removals and replacements - though I havenít taken the panel off to actually see what the seal is made of.

Iíve looked carefully at the various user manuals - the Frankia specific stuff doesnít mention these fuses (hardly surprising given that they are chassis related). The Mercedes stuff refers to a sprinter van, and mentions the fuses as being under the drivers seat and accessed via a panel when the drivers door is open (not particularly relevant on a rhd A class motorhome). I think that Frankia should at the very least draw attention to the importance of the seal when refitting the cover to the fuse box - better still they would have re-located that block of fuses (heaven knows there are enough fuses in various locations throughout the vehicle).

Iíve looked at dozens of new and used motorhomes over the last couple of years - and got close to buying at least three different ones - but I donít recall paying much attention to the gas bottle locker on any of them (including this one).

Regards,
John

If only I could think of an original, witty signature . . . this is where it would be . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 17:16

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyjohn View Post
Kev,

The existing mesh covered drop out is at least 4 inches in diameter, so I donít think that putting a fill hose through it would too restrictive - but your suggestion of using a sleeve to protect the pipe is a good one.

The fuses do appear to be well sealed from the locker - there are multiple screws and a sealing gasket. But it does seem like poor design - I suspect that the MB base vehicle has these fuses under the drivers seat on LHD and RHD variants, so the majority of Frankiaís production wonít have this issue.

Regards,
John
Hi John, no way to estimate the size of the hole of course from a picture, but I'd still drill down, and have a filler in the valance as near to a valance support as possible, the issue with filling is that petrol station staff can be quite low on the food chain sometimes and can assume that you are filling a Calor or similar bottle, and shut off the pump, external filler even get this problem but far less often, I have read on another forum ages ago that some idiot painted their Calor bottle yellow to get around this

As for the fuse, I'm happy that they did at least make it as safe as possible, still stupid and inconvenient though when they could have extended to cabling and put it in a more accessible place.

Go on take a deep breath and go for it John, we all have had to do it.
Ozzyjohn and Penquin like this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 00:51

My Motorhome: kinda, almost, sorta 2002 Hymer Classic B584
I can't see why you cant put it in the door? The ones I've seen have a right angle hose joint on the back of the door so the hose goes sideways which allows the door to open freely. Particularly if you only use a single tank there should be room? Maybe put the tank on the other mount so the hose could loop around the right side then back to the tank?
Ozzyjohn likes this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 08:56

A filler in the door would stop me buying a van, it smacks of laziness and corner-cutting and I would wonder what other bodges and shortcuts were waiting to get me down the line.
Penquin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
Ozzyjohn (19-04-2019)
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 09:18

I think itís sensible as all the work is contained to the locker and the body of the vehicle hasnít been breached. It functions fine as long as you route the hoses correctly to allow the locker door to open.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-04-2019, 03:36

Found a thread about a door install.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...iller-cap.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lockerinstall.jpg (146.6 KB, 9 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to wfdTamar For This Useful Post:
Ozzyjohn (22-04-2019)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-04-2019, 11:44

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I guess they're different hoses but I know that in a similar installation of SOG hosing the hose eventually cracked after a number of years - so there was pressure on the system even though there appeared not to be.

Jean
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-04-2019, 12:43

The pressure on a SOG system is from a PC fan so not quite the same Jean, and a Gas filler hose is under no pressure once the filling stops.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 23-04-2019, 15:28

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I meant pressure as in strain Kev. With all the opening and closing of the door, no matter how the hose is fitted, it's going to be flexing and un-flexing.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page