My thoughts on refillable gas - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 22:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
Mike is that a typo "I've regrets"? Do you mean I've no regrets?

Bugger! Yes it is - now corrected thank you!
Pudsey_Bear and Devonboy like this.

Please visit our YouTube Channel, where we share our reviews, hints, tips and travel vlogs. ExploreVan.UK on YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 07:15

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdalemasher View Post
I an seriously considering refillable gas bottles. As i am only able to fit in two 6kg bottles in my gas locker. I have a solar system with a couple of leisure batteries and an inverter if i do need any mains power in an emergency. I also tend to save a few quid as i dont use the EHU so i now use extra gas for heating and powering the fridge a lot more. Trouble is i am torn between Gasit and Gaslow Although the Gasit ones are much cheaper the kits do not seem to come with some of the pigtails needed to plumb it all in. Also when i read up on the Gaslow kit i read that they have more stringent safety features than Gasit when it comes to use in the EU. The EU use with the extra safety features has me leaning more towards the Gaslow kits. Am i being daft or should i go with the cheaper gasit ones?
Regards
Mick

Gasit does have all the gear you need Mick, I ordered a full 2 x 11kg kit, they have also recently upgraded a lot of there kit to supersede EU regs, if unsure of what they have give them a ring, they are very knowledgable, also they have a good few videos on YouTube of how to do it all if you are unclear of the procedure.
Ozzyjohn likes this.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 09:51

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thats really cool

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 12:47

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdalemasher View Post
I an seriously considering refillable gas bottles. As i am only able to fit in two 6kg bottles in my gas locker. I have a solar system with a couple of leisure batteries and an inverter if i do need any mains power in an emergency. I also tend to save a few quid as i dont use the EHU so i now use extra gas for heating and powering the fridge a lot more. Trouble is i am torn between Gasit and Gaslow Although the Gasit ones are much cheaper the kits do not seem to come with some of the pigtails needed to plumb it all in. Also when i read up on the Gaslow kit i read that they have more stringent safety features than Gasit when it comes to use in the EU. The EU use with the extra safety features has me leaning more towards the Gaslow kits. Am i being daft or should i go with the cheaper gasit ones?
Regards
Mick
Mick if the kits do not have pigtails that are suitable then you can buy all of the parts separately, details here: https://www.gasit.co.uk/gasit-vapour...-products.html

Dave.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 19:10

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We have gaslow

Iíd never go back

Itís brilliant

And much cheaper

Sandra
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 19:54

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rael View Post
Disadvantages are that its a little noisy on startup, but once its been on for a while its the same as gas heating.
A LITTLE noisy???? I was parked alongside my mates MH a while ago for a couple of nights. When his Webasto started up it was a Tornado (aircraft) taking off on full re-heat!!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 14:23

My Motorhome: Challenger Vany 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
A LITTLE noisy???? I was parked alongside my mates MH a while ago for a couple of nights. When his Webasto started up it was a Tornado (aircraft) taking off on full re-heat!!

Andy
Tornado? Told you a million times not to exaggerate..... Newer models are a lot quieter these days. Trick is to leave it on, treat it like your home central heating. Lots of people make the mistake of turning it off a night to 'save diesel'. If you set the thermostat to a comfortable level and leave it on, then it will tick over at the same noise level as gas heating. If you don't and you only put it on in the morning then its going to have to work hard (noisily) to get it up to heat. If we are wintering we have it on when travelling therefore the van is warm when we stop so no startup noise. Ours has a timer so if we are out for the day we can have it come on at a sociable time, late afternoon, for when we get back. Our next trip is to The Lakes in mid February so I expect it will be on most of the time. I don't know how much gas is used to heat a motorhome, but the diesel heaters reckon to use about 100ml of diesel an hour, so at round about 13p an hour to run seems pretty good value to me, but each to their own.

Last edited by rael; 17-01-2019 at 15:04.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 20:08

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
We have had Gaslow for 6 years now and are sooo glad we had it fitted. We have a 6kg and an 11kg bottle fitted. We have never had an issue at any petrol station we have used either in the UK or Europe and at around £5.50 to fill the 6kg bottle I save on average approx. £21 on each 6kg fill as opposed to a Calor bottle from a dealer , so it has more than paid for itself.

Dave
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

You cannot polish a ****....but you can roll it in glitter !
The Following User Says Thank You to DJMotorhomer For This Useful Post:
mbuk (19-01-2019)
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 20-01-2019, 16:55

We fitted an under slung tank to our old Hymer. Brilliant!
The Fifth Wheeler has a factory fitted one. Would not go back to bottles.
nickkdx likes this.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 20-01-2019, 21:42

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Why not Pat? What's the big difference?
patp likes this.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page