Safefill gas bottle ...Your.thoughts please? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 20:35 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Safefill gas bottle ...Your.thoughts please?

I am thinking about a Safefill bottle to carry abroad.
Any experiences with them as I like the idea of not fixing it in to van as with Gas it / gas low etc.
Reason for this is I will more the likely change van in three years and not being retired unfortunately means only about
6 weeks abroad therefore would never recover cost of other refillable s.
With this one would be able to just keep it for next van .

Not had time to check yet but what type of lpg is sold at fuel stations as my fridge does not like butane as got a cheap repsol butane
and ran smoky and popped a bit , Garage exchanged for propane so result.

Read bits and bobs about refilling problems which i could do without.

I currently have two German and two Spanish propane cylinders which I can use but no good for France.
Only issue as you will know if it goes cold and heaters have to go on as we never on site so no EHU.

Any advice or thought would be a great help.

LT Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 20:49

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
You can take your Gaslow system to your new van - I did last year with my 2x11kg setup.

Regarding what gas it is - it may be different now but the UK system is propane I believe whereas France, Spain etc are a mix of propane/butane depending on the ambient temperatures.

Jean
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 22:21

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I have looked into Safefill, it’s virtually impossible to fill them on any forecourt in the U.K. I have no experience of what the situation is on the continent.

A Gaslow system can be very easily removed and installed in another vehicle, I have done it in the past.

Be sure to do some THOROUGH research before parting with your money, especially if you intend using it in the U.K.

Andy
greygit and greygit like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:12

I agree with Mrplod we have a couple of them and get um filled with no problem in Spain but in the UK very difficult. Go with gaslow and take it with you when changing vans would be my advice also. I should say I don't know what the filling in France is like as we travel with a full tank while passing through on our way south.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.

Last edited by greygit; 06-04-2018 at 08:20.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:40

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hang onto your last Calor bottle, fit gasit/gaslow, remove when selling the van, refit Calor bottle, all you leave behind is the filler point, so put that in a less visible place if possible, buy a new filler for the new van, sorted, seemples
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Hang onto your last Calor bottle, fit gasit/gaslow, remove when selling the van, refit Calor bottle, all you leave behind is the filler point, so put that in a less visible place if possible, buy a new filler for the new van, sorted, seemples
EXACTLY what I did, took about 10 minutes!!

Andy
greygit and greygit like this.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 20:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks for all your input but I did not want to drill the van for what would be just a few fills and know that motorhomers have trouble soon as they open the door at the pump.
I think i just liked the idea of lifting the bottle out ( light weight ) and filling it.
I might fit Gas it / Gas low when I change my van but for now I am just going to use my full ( as already have the gas ) German bottles and Spanish ones.

Great, money saved again. Right what can i buy with the money I have just saved.

Once I retire things will be different so that is when the fixed refill system will be done.

Just to let you know if interested a 11kg exchange last July in Austria was 34 euro and in October in Spain 11kg was 12 euro.

Lt Man
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 21:24

The only time you would get any problems while filling would be if you did open a door and either fill direct to the bottle, or if you removed it for filling, the only acceptable method is to have a fixed remote permanet filling point outside of the gas locker, preferably not on the door as this too is not advisable.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Man View Post
Just to let you know if interested a 11kg exchange last July in Austria was 34 euro and in October in Spain 11kg was 12 euro.

Lt Man
Calor U.K. please note!

As for drilling the van I wouldn’t give it a second thought. Is any future purchaser going to say

“I really like this Motorhome it ticks all the right boxes for me but because it’s had something removed and there’s a blanking plug in the side I am not going to buy it”

Of course not, would YOU decline to purchase under those circumstances??

It amazes me when people remove the factory supplied carpets in new MH’s and caravans a fit their own loose lay ones “To keep them nice” Nice FOR WHO? you have paid a lot of money for it all so why worry about leaving it totally pristine for the next owner?? If the carpets are a little worn at sale time so what? It’s not going to make any appreciable difference to its value is it??

Andy
erneboy, erneboy, nidge1 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Mrplodd; 07-04-2018 at 09:11.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Calor U.K. please note!

As for drilling the van I wouldn’t give it a second thought. Is any future purchaser going to say

“I really like this Motorhome it ticks all the right boxes for me but because it’s had something removed and there’s a blanking plug in the side I am not going to buy it”

Of course not, would YOU decline to purchase under those circumstances??

It amazes me when people remove the factory supplied carpets in new MH’s and caravans a fit their own loose lay ones “To keep them nice” Nice FOR WHO? you have paid a lot of money for it all so why worry about leaving it totally pristine for the next owner?? If the carpets are a little worn at sale time so what? It’s not going to make any appreciable difference to its value is it??

Andy
Common sense spoken here

I wouldn't use a blanking plug though, just leave the proper filling point, then it's a bonus for the new owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page