Gaslow v Calor Gas! - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 16:06 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Nah!! It's wishful thinking.

Don't forget to buy your adapter before going to France. No more worries about running out of gas, incompatible bottles, nasty foreign regulators etc!!

http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/autogas...dapter-2-p.asp

Dave

Was going to go for this set but they are out of stock.They shouid be stocked up soon though!

http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/uk-bayonet-...-adapters-set/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:03

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 640slx
Personal Aire
Hi, I am considering a Gaslow for our new MH at the moment, wondering whether to go for two Gaslow cylinders or one with a Calor backup as it will only be used when Gaslow runs out, but hopefully this shouldn't be often as it's easy to top up when filling with diesel? any preferences or advice guys?
thanks
curlyboy

Retired living in Cornwall and the Camper!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:19

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Hi CB , I have one gaslow and a spare calor lite bottle. It ony gets used very occasionally when I run out on site. Quite adquate, and I haven't changed the calor bottle in 2 years!

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
The Following User Says Thank You to bognormike For This Useful Post:
CurlyBoy (01-02-2016)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:19

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyBoy View Post
Hi, I am considering a Gaslow for our new MH at the moment, wondering whether to go for two Gaslow cylinders or one with a Calor backup as it will only be used when Gaslow runs out, but hopefully this shouldn't be often as it's easy to top up when filling with diesel? any preferences or advice guys?
thanks
curlyboy
I decided on one Gaslow 11kg and retaining the Calor as back-up.[ It would be an easy change-over as we still have the old 37Mb regulator which screws directly into either bottle]

However in 5 years we have never had to resort to the Calor, although in the Pyrenees last Summer we did make a 25km detour to fill rather than use the Calor.

It really depends on where you are touring and for how long. When I decided on the one Gaslow there were few LPG stations in Spain for example(more now) and my thinking was that if we used all the Gaslow and the Calor we could still replace the Calor with a local supermarket cylinder, but with two empty Gaslows there would have been more of a problem, if a long way from LPG.

Geoff
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
CurlyBoy (01-02-2016)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:36

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
We've used an 11kg Gaslow cylinder and a back-up 6kg Calor bottle for a few years but after a seven week holiday in France last summer we decided to get a second 11kg Gaslow.

We emptied the Gaslow a couple of times during the holiday and finding a GPL supplier wasn't as easy as we'd hoped.

After faffing about with narrow access lanes, the filler on the 'wrong' side and having to turn the MH round and then turn back again to go and pay and general messing about we invested in the second cylinder.

If you're a bit strapped for cash or weight issues then the smaller 6kg bottle is okay but as I get older I want as much as possible to be easy and uncomplicated so we bought the new Gaslow.

If push comes to shove you can always sell the cylinder/s and more or less get your money back and they will of course be easily moved to a newer MH should you sell the present one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pilote Gaslow Double.jpg (65.8 KB, 11 views)
jo662, jo662, JanHank and 1 others like this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithChesterfield For This Useful Post:
CurlyBoy (01-02-2016)
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:39

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
We have a 28 litre (net) tank in the trailer, and based on our consumption when away with that, we have bought an 80 litre (net) tank for the Mercedes.

If you are happy with a smaller reserve, then the Gaslow bottles are fine, but I prefer to know that I have plenty of gas in reserve should I decide to stay in one spot away from service stations.

62p a litre at BP on the A14 at Kettering this morning.

Keith: Easy to fit a second filler point, we have three on the trailer

Peter
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 13:49

This might help with the decision - and could be handy for others who are not aware of it.

Download the POIs onto your phone or tablet and show them in Maps.Me. No further problem locating service stations.

Go to "LPG Stations" the select the country, and download the POIs.

http://www.mylpg.eu/

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zebedee For This Useful Post:
cabby (03-02-2016), CurlyBoy (01-02-2016)
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 19:58

We have the alugas set up purely as they were more convenient for us and better looking (Yellow ugh) and the auto change over, however all I do is turn the one bottle on then when we move use the other on just remembering to keep an eye on levels when I am abroad especially Spain as per the lack of lpg stations .
The Following User Says Thank You to buxom For This Useful Post:
CurlyBoy (02-02-2016)
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 20:09 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Quote:
thanks
curlyboy
We went for two 11kg gaslow bottles with autochanger.
Its no hardship to check the level gauges every now and then.
And I will make sure the lpg is full when I start my travels,and
fill whenever I see lpg just to be safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to jo662 For This Useful Post:
CurlyBoy (02-02-2016)
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 20:10

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
Quote:
thanks
curlyboy
We have one 11kg Gaslow and also carry a spare bottle in case we run out. During the winter we carry a Calor and when abroad we carry a Camping Gaz; the rational being that we are more likely to be in Britain when we have high gas usage and therefore we need the bigger Calor bottle. During the summer we can get away with the smaller Camping Gaz bottle and it is easy to change as we will be abroad.

Having a Camping Gaz bottle means that I can easily use it to for outside cooking.
The Following User Says Thank You to cronkle For This Useful Post:
CurlyBoy (02-02-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page