Recommend a regulator etc - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 03:46 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Recommend a regulator etc

Now our new Carado is registered the last major job is to sort the gas out. It has a twin 11kg gas cupboard (empty) and a metal pipe feeding the MH, that's all. We'll be 75% continent and 25% UK, and mostly long weekends with the occasional up to 1 month. I'm thinking I need one UK propane and one French, a bulkhead mounted twin feed regulator with manual cutover control, and appropriate pigtails.
Does this sound sensible, am I missing anything, and could you recommend a regulator make/model please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:56

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Yes by all means have one of each, and it should come with a regulator fitted?

Having a refillable system is so much easier though! I have I gaslow cylinder and one "regular" one as a backup. I can fill up easily all over Europe, at half the cost of calor.

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:43

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
Hi

Have a look at this site:

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo..._Fittings.html

It will show you some of the regulators and pigtails that are available whether you go 'refillable' or not. These folk have a good reputation; I've used them a few times in the past.

I would agree that propane is the way to go. I would also recommend refillables, if funds allow, given the proportion of time you intend spending abroad. No mucking about with different makes of bottle/pigtails and less heaving around of cylindars.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 12:37 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks both; the Hamilton site looks very useful and will help educate me!
I anticiptae our usage will be very low compared with most MH-ers; I had a big Calor bottle (15kg?) in my old race van and only changed it once in 10 years!
Almost all the circuits I race at provide EHU free of charge, and when we're not racing we'll be seeking somewhere much warmer anyway
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 11:18

Send a message via MSN to premiermotorhomes
Good morning mgdavid,

I recommend the Cavagna bulkhead regulators which are compact, reliable, feature a five year warranty and are half the cost of Truma equivalents, combined with a Gaslow Propane Manual Changeover and your good to go.

Just make sure before you order that you identify whether your gas pipe is 8mm or 10mm and based on the location of the regulator which Changeover you need.

Regards,
Chris

Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7BU 01243 511189

Members of Checkatrade, Trading Standards Buy With Confidence. NCC Approved Dealership & Approved Workshop.

If my post has helped you, please click thanks!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 11:56

My Motorhome: Carthago Chic I 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiermotorhomes View Post
Good morning mgdavid,

I recommend the Cavagna bulkhead regulators which are compact, reliable, feature a five year warranty and are half the cost of Truma equivalents, combined with a Gaslow Propane Manual Changeover and your good to go.

Just make sure before you order that you identify whether your gas pipe is 8mm or 10mm and based on the location of the regulator which Changeover you need.

Regards,
Chris
I totally agree with Chris. That's what I have on my van. My German van has 10mm dia gas piping. Suggest you purchase a spare regulator at those prices.

The regulator with manual changeover attached measures 180mm. So ideally, you need at least about 230mm from the incoming gas pipe to the top of the gas compartment.

The beauty of the manual changeover is that you can test for leaks in the system which I don't think you can do with the auto changeover.
mgdavid and mgdavid like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 12:37 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I've bought a Cavagna 734PR - it came in a Calor-branded box, and has a Cavagna manual changeover already fitted to it. Also in the box is an Isogas on/off tap for the output side.
Is that 8mm or 10mm feed pipe the ID or the OD? (i.e. where do I measure?)
It all looks a bit of a fiddle space-wise, is there any reason why one can't use a flexi pipe to connect the changeover output to the MH supply pipe?
I've booked a qualified gas fitter to do the job next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiermotorhomes View Post
Good morning mgdavid,

Regards,
Chris

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 13:39

For the existing steel or copper pipe in your gas compartment, you should measure the outside diameter.

The basic configuration is:
The pigtails (rubber or stainless steel) from your gas bottles connect to either side of the changeover unit. The changeover unit is connected to the regulator. The regulator outlet then connects to the existing pipe which supplies gas to the rest of the van.

It's best not to use any flexible piping (hose).

There should be a nut at the end of the existing pipework. Or it may just have a spigot end (ie. just a plain end without a nut).

I'm sure your gas fitter will be able to sort it all out.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 16:34

Does your new purchase look like this http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...r_Kit_POL.html

If so, I have some bad news. The regulator is rated at 37 mbar and for all modern vans it should be 30 mbar.

I can only suggest sending it back and getting products sold by Gaslow for a 30 mbar system. There maybe other supplies who can supply this. I have always found it cheaper to buy Gaslow products via others, rather than from Gaslow direct. Possibly Chris from Premier Motorhomes has all this stuff in stock anyway - well, he did when I last visited - and he provides a super quick service.

The Gaslow manual changeover system includes a pressure gauge whereby you can pressure test the system. Also, you can specify which pigtails you require. If you are likely to spend most of your time in Euro land and have a Gaslow (or equivalent) refillable cylinder then you need a pigtail with a 21.8 LH thread. If you want to connect a Calor cylinder for use in UK you can purchase a suitable adaptor.

All the best but I feel you need to put your gas fitter on hold for the moment.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 20:23

My Motorhome: Carthago

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page