how long will it last ??? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 19:37 Thread Starter

how long will it last ???

Ok, this is a how long is a piece of string question...

We are planning a trip to France and Spain for 2 months in September.

We don't have refillable gas but my gas locker will take 2x 11Kg tanks and I could store another tank elsewhere.

I have 2x 11kg and 1x 8kg UK tanks and have 1x french 11Kg half full tank.

With daily usage of cooking, fridge on nearly every day and hot water for showers in the morning and say 15 days of 3 hours daily heating towards the end of October as we return back to the UK.

Whilst we've been motorhoming for a few years we've never monitored how long tanks last for.

So thinking to take 2x full 11Kg UK tanks and by the time we go the french tank will have been used and thus I can get it exchanged and if we empty them all I can get it exchanged again on the way back up again.

Do you think this will suffice?

I know refillable is the way to go for long trips but I don't have the spare cash for it at the moment and the payback it quite long.

Steve

Follow our Motorhome Travels at www.motorhometour.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 19:45

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
How about taking an adapter for a Spanish bottle

tony
stevegos and stevegos like this.

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 19:57

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
For three of us on a long weekend (three/four nights) using shower, cooking, washing up, fridge on etc, we use 12-14 litres of Autogas.

1kg of gas is 1.96 litres, so roughly 6-7 kg.

That's without the Propex running.

Our tank in the trailer is 28 litres net, Mercedes is 64 litres.

Peter

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 19:58

My Motorhome: 2007 Hymer B654
Steve,
Save the half full French bottle for your trip to France, then set out with a full UK 11kg bottle + the French bottle. Use the French bottle until it runs out and temporarily switch back to the UK bottle. Get a French refil asap and go back onto the French one. Do this throughout your trip and you should be ok. This is what we have been doing for years - up until last year when we got a single Gaslow, but still take our French bottle for our bbq. I think the gas refills are a bit cheaper in France, so another reason for using their gas over there.

DavidL
Ps Hadn't spotted that you were also going to Spain. Depending on how long you are in Spain (shouldn't need heating), you may still be able to eeke out your French/UK bottles to suffice. If not buy a Spannish bottle - I think the refills may even be cheaper there.

Last edited by dalspa; 04-03-2015 at 20:04.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 20:09 Thread Starter

Thanks all. I did think about a Spanish bottle but wanted to avoid if possible another bottle type and reg.

I like the idea of keeping the half french one and then swapping back and forth.

I expect we will be in France for about 2 weeks then in Spain for 4 weeks and France again for 2 weeks.

Follow our Motorhome Travels at www.motorhometour.co.uk

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 20:21

Personal Aire
We spent three months in Spain/France last July to Septembers end. After 6 weeks cooking/Fridge we filled up. Based on that experience, we could have easily done the whole trip using the two 11kg GasLow bottles without a top=up.
The weather was too warm to use our heater and when we stopped, if there was electricity we used it but we never economised on gas.
Tip.... next year get re-fillable if possible. The gas is cheaper and if you only fit one GasLow bottle, you will never be stuck. If you keep your eyes open, there are often people selling off their GasLow. Sometimes they want larger bottles and sometimes they are selling the van and want to cash in on them, as dealers do not usually offer more because they are fitted.

Alan
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 20:27

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegos View Post
Thanks all. I did think about a Spanish bottle but wanted to avoid if possible another bottle type and reg.

I like the idea of keeping the half french one and then swapping back and forth.

I expect we will be in France for about 2 weeks then in Spain for 4 weeks and France again for 2 weeks.
In that case just take 1 UK bottle and the half empty French bottle.Use the French one and get a refill before going into Spain.You will have enough gas on board for 4 weeks in Spain and when you go back to France for the last 2 weeks you will be able to get a French refill if necessary.

cheers Steve
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 22:47

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Easy enough I would say. Heating is the killer and if your down in Spain even in October you probably wont need it and I guess most of the time in France will be the south.

In summer we use between a half to three quarters of a litre a day so our single gaslow 11KG lasts ages. We can use up to 2 litres a day in winter though.

If your going up the mountains though you may need heating. Pyrenees is warmer than the alps though generally. Ive seen snow fall in the French Alps in July.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 23:15

My Motorhome: Challenger PVC
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakk44 View Post
In that case just take 1 UK bottle and the half empty French bottle.Use the French one and get a refill before going into Spain.You will have enough gas on board for 4 weeks in Spain and when you go back to France for the last 2 weeks you will be able to get a French refill if necessary.
I'd second this advice Steve

And, if you do need to get a Spanish bottle/regulator they're easy to source - especially if you're passing our way

I use UK Pub Stopovers, but then I would
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 00:00

Spent 7 weeks last year between Aug/Oct , half the time in Alps and Pyrenees. Set off with an 11 and 6kg bottle planning to buy French system when needed, but never needed it . Showers and cooking daily but not much heating used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page