Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Nature Watch (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/143-nature-watch/)
-   -   two unwanted visitors (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/143-nature-watch/236363-two-unwanted-visitors.html)

JanHank 02-06-2019 18:45

two unwanted visitors

JanHank 02-06-2019 18:55

Just had another visitor, buddy great hornet in the workshop, hate them things I do.😡

Matchlock 02-06-2019 19:08

Sweet, I used to keep reptiles, love them.
Last night about 8pm a young badger came into the garden, seeing it from the breakfeast room window I went out side and snuck up on it.
Got within 6 feet of it, their eyesight is poor but their hearing and sense of smell is exceptional, I just froze, it did look at me but just carried on wandering around the garden and eventually left.
Few years ago I did the same with a pair of young badgers, they came and smelled my feet, they could smell me but as I froze they did not see me as a threat.
Isn't nature wonderful!

JanHank 02-06-2019 19:26

A man who can answer a question maybe, how do snakes move so fast when they don't have any legs, we had a big one in the garage once, he was a beggar to catch, so fast. I know it's something to do with muscles, should look it up I suppose, but perhaps you can explain in words I understand Flint.

Matchlock 02-06-2019 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanHank (Post 3035413)
A man who can answer a question maybe, how do snakes move so fast when they don't have any legs, we had a big one in the garage once, he was a beggar to catch, so fast. I know it's something to do with muscles, should look it up I suppose, but perhaps you can explain in words I understand Flint.

If you watch how they move Jan they wriggle in a wavy fashion, they use the muscles down their body in unison to propel themselves forward.
I was never really a snake lover although I kept a couple.
My main interest was lizards and amphibians which I used to breed to prevent too many being taken from the wild.

raynipper 02-06-2019 19:58

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a grass snake Jan. This is the venomous one. ..
Personally I kill the hornets.
Ray.

JanHank 02-06-2019 21:29

Thank you for your reply Flint, haven't been able to get on here since about 9pm, kept getting an error try later message.

The snake was a baby Ray, from a distance at first glance it looked like a huge worm till you saw the pointed tail.
Hornets get the death penalty if we can reach them, but this one was in the workshop which has a very high ceiling and couldn't be reached, fly spray had no effect so we left the doors open and he finally found his way out......I think😧

GMLS 03-06-2019 12:58

1 Attachment(s)
This took a lot of fly and wasp killer before it died and was a lot bigger when at full stretch

fatbuddha 03-06-2019 13:26

please don't kill Hornets - it's a useful garden predator and will predate on other species of wasp and take caterpillars, plus it's less aggressive than other wasp species although I think it's it size that alarms people. the only hornet you need to worry about is the Asian hornet which has become more common in Europe and predates on honey bees - it's a notifiable species if found and nests are destroyed. (info here about that - http://www.nonnativespecies.org/alerts/index.cfm?id=4)

I've had hornet nests in the garden in the past - I think I might have another this year - and we have come to an agreement; I won't disturb you if you don't disturb me. seems to work OK!

JanHank 03-06-2019 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbuddha (Post 3035475)
please don't kill Hornets - it's a useful garden predator and will predate on other species of wasp and take caterpillars, plus it's less aggressive than other wasp species although I think it's it size that alarms people. the only hornet you need to worry about is the Asian hornet which has become more common in Europe and predates on honey bees - it's a notifiable species if found and nests are destroyed. (info here about that - http://www.nonnativespecies.org/alerts/index.cfm?id=4)

I've had hornet nests in the garden in the past - I think I might have another this year - and we have come to an agreement; I won't disturb you if you don't disturb me. seems to work OK!

If I could catch one you will be welcome to it fats, I don't like them and we don't have any garden to protect, just grass, a hazel bush , 2 trees and a fence
Creeper.
They only get deaded if they come in the house looking for a nesting place. Same with wasps, but bees of any size get caught in a glass and released outside.
Ants are being hunted by an army of starlings in the garden from sunup until sundown, I manage to keep ants out of the house with my dried lemons.😃