Bird watching - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 29-11-2018, 14:52

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
We seem to get them all here, probably because we are in The Weald, goldfinches, sparrows, robins, bluetits, great tits, bullfinches, chaffinches,...... Then ground feeders like blackbirds, woodpigeons, collared doves., etc. Sadly, a sparrowhawk takes the occadional one out, but that's nature.

Occasionally, squirrels try to tip the seed into their mouths by tilting the squirrel - proof cages, but they fail because they are too heavy.

Yesterday, a great spotted woodpecker returned and balanced on the cage exterior and poked his long bill through the rails to get at the seed. Priceless.
Same here on the Isle of Wight except the Bullfinches! We also had Yellowhammers regularly when we first moved here 6 years ago but they have disappeared over the past couple of years. We have a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers who are hilarious as they hang on the peanut feeders and peck away through the wire mesh. A couple of months ago we started seeing a hen Pheasant in one corner of the garden. She came every morning for a couple of weeks but then disappeared! She must have seen the glint in my eye!!!

Andy
HurricaneSmith and JanHank like this.

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 29-11-2018, 15:00

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
We have the big bird table in the garden.

Today Hans made 2 special feeders for 2 windowsills. Inside is fat, flour, sunflower seeds and porridge oats made into a pie. This is specially for the great tits and blue tits, but I bet the sparrows will soon learn what to do.

Hopefully they won't be bumping into the window and injuring themselves or worse.
We were very upset the other day, we don't have robins about here often and one had crashed into the window while we were out and we found it dead when we came home.

We have some feeders that stick directly onto the window glass by way of suckers. I was dubious about them but they have been very successful. I feared that birds may fly into the glass but that doesn't appear to have happened. The feeder is transparent so if you stand very still you get a close up as the birds feed. It's mostly Blue Tits that feed from them but Greenfinches occasionally bully their way in as well.

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 29-11-2018, 16:12

My Motorhome: Elddis Autostratus EB
Personal Aire
We had one of these and they make for interesting viewing.
One can almost cuddle up to the bluetits.

Sadly a pidgeon took to sitting on the top for a s a resting perch and eventually its weight broke it.
caulkhead likes this.

Gillian

I'm 84 now. Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, & complain. And most do.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Bernard M. Baruch

Member since 2003

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page