Vignette - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-08-2014, 17:44

Swiss Vignette

Thanks ob1 I was really asking if there was a non motorway option on that route, I should have phrased the question better.
I have now double checked the maps and it does appear that I can do it on vignette free roads.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-08-2014, 17:49

Re: Swiss Vignette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auldgadgey
I am planning to travel by Chamonix to Martigny and over the Grand St Bernard pass to Aosta, can I do this woithout a vignette?

No, you do not need a vignette for that trip as it is not motorway. Done it a few times.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-08-2014, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphology
On the motorway crossing at Basle you can pay cash to the border guard or if, like me, you wanted to use a credit card, they will let you pull through into the car park and go into the office to pay.

When I asked where I should stick it (the vignette!) they just shrugged and said 'anywhere' but pointed to top left and top right. I stuck it top left (as you face forwards), which seemed to be where most of the cars in the carpark had theirs.

Morph
When I bought my last one 2014 at Geneva, the woman just slapped it on the windscreen. Hell of a job getting it off to put on the car. They do come off in one piece.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-08-2014, 23:23

My Motorhome: 2014 LWB High Roof VW T5 Selfbuild
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobsta
When I bought my last one 2014 at Geneva, the woman just slapped it on the windscreen. Hell of a job getting it off to put on the car. They do come off in one piece.
Have a piece of cling film / clear sticky book covering handy, stick that to the screen and stick the Vignette onto the cling film / clear sticky book covering. Easy to transfer to another car or maybe trade to another traveller!?!?

Rod
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-08-2014, 10:55

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Vignette needed

How closely do they check the van over?

Our van has been replated to 3850 but I have not fitted the new plate as yet....................figure it is in reserve if there are any problems with overloading. Also have an old copy of the V5 with 3500 listed.

So my question is could someone "hypothetically" get away with passing themselves off as still 3500.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great ...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-08-2014, 14:44

auldgadgey,

I don't know the weight of your 'van, but if it's over 3500kg you need to pay the heavy vehicle road tax whichever roads you're using.

For a short trip it's actually cheaper than a vignette and you can buy it at the border.

Roger
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-08-2014, 15:05
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
Cling film? Vehicles of 3850kg disguised as 3500kg? It's amazing what people will do to save a few bob.

The fact is that the Swiss road charges are some of the cheapest in the world at approx 26 for a years unlimited mileage if you are under 3500kg and approx 1 per day for the same thing if you are over that weight. Compare that to the French and Spanish charges alone. It even costs me 2 for three minutes on the Dartford Crossing in a car!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page