New Toll regime in Hungary - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By hblewett
  • 2 Post By Citysafe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 21:34 Thread Starter

New Toll regime in Hungary

We are on our way to Romania via Czech Republic & Hungary. For no particular reason, while at the campsite in Prague I thought I'd just refresh my understanding of the rules for Tolls in Hungary for over 3.5 tonnes - last year the motorways required a 'GO BOX' (or whatever they call them) and non-motorway was free of tolls.

The website says that new arrangements were made in Jan 2015, so I went to the map and was horrified to see that just about every main road in the country is now subject to tolls - Go Box for over 3.5 tonnes, vignette for below 3.5t.

It is also possible for > 3.5t to purchase a one trip ticket for a trip, but you have to say exactly where you're going and complete your trip by 24.00 the day after purchase - not much use for a motorhomer! There are plenty of garages 'selling tolls', if you did want to decide on a day-to-day basis, but even for us, planning to cross Hungary into Romania, we don't know how long the journey will take us till we do it!

I called their customer service number, and it was all confirmed by a helpful man who spoke good English.

The main roads are not expensive - only 5 pence/km [motorways about 2.5 times as much], so the cost is not a dealbreaker, but it does mean that if you want to roam around and decide as you go, a Go Box is essential for >3.5t.

We'll be there in a few days after a chill out day or two at a site in southern Czech [10 euros on ACSI ] by an artificial lake - [forecast is 23 deg for tomorrow]

I'll post on here how we get on with the tolls - hopefully it will be as straightforward as Poland
lalala and lalala like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-07-2015, 08:46

This is really very frustrating - no so much the money but the admin.

I wonder given the EC Directive that says their should be cross europe harmony for free travel on leisure vehicles with less that 8 seats if anyone has had the nerve to challenge?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-07-2015, 09:51

Just spoken to them at Hungary tolls and they tell me that Motorhomes even after 3.5T can get the monthy toll online - I have just paid about £20 for a month for national cover.

I think it confusing as it say <3.5 lorries and motorhomes - it means lorries up to 3.5T and all motorhomes.
hblewett and hblewett like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-07-2015, 09:46 Thread Starter

Thanks for that Citysafe. I ended up paying the >3.5t rate, which is about £15 for two weeks both on the way out and on the way back from Romania, as this is what I was assured I needed on both occasions by the people at the filling stations where I paid the toll. I am still uncertain about whether any, some or no roads other than motorways are tolled, but we certainly did pass a gantry loaded with monitoring equipment on the non-motorway main road we used when we left Romania.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page