Hungary - some experience - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 22:40 Thread Starter

Hungary - some experience

Roads - mostly better than I expected, but we did come across one stretch of 'good' A road where we were happily cruising along at a good speed, when all of a sudden we encountered some bad wheel-tracking and some serious potholes. We managed to avoid them (traffic is generally fairly light in Hungary), and subsequently knocked 15mph off our speed until we got to a better bit of road. This has been our only worrying part, though there are places where you'll get the van rattling - as in the UK.

Prices - about 50% of what you'll pay in UK

Petrol/diesel - everywhere

LPG - plenty around, but you may have to wait for a decent sized town to be sure of finding it.

Wildcamping - not allowed as far as we understand, and we haven't done any (even though we usually do).

Campsites -we have used ACSI - Panorama (Nr Heviz/Balaton Lake), Budapest (Arena), Eger (Tulipan) and currently Borsodbota [Bukk National Park] (Amedi), all of which are fine and good value (13-16/night). Currently we are at Amedi which is very well kept, friendly owner and very peaceful.

Best tip is that for over 65s public transport is free - very useful in Budapest, where we hopped on and off trains, buses, metro and trams to our hearts content. We were twice asked for our tickets so we produced copies of our passports (and our grey hair!) and that was accepted with no problem. Very impresssed they will do this for foreigners as well as their own!!

Overall impressions - an easy place to visit, plenty of interesting places to see, helpful people, well worth coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 09:39

Thanks for that, did you find acceptable or must you have Forints?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 13:23

Thanks for info.

Do they have tolls or go boxes?

regards

Jon

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 21:53 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cater_racer
Thanks for that, did you find acceptable or must you have Forints?
We have used Forints, but I'm pretty sure you would be OK with Euros in Budapest, and probably other major cities.

We are staying at a small and very quiet/smart campsite at teh moment [Camping Amedi in theBukk national park, near the Slovakian border] and we are low on Florints. We asked if Euros would be OK - but they were not at all keen, as they have to bill eveything in Florints, and have no way to get rid of Euros except changing them at the bank.

So, as suggested, I drew some Florints at the Post Office (Posta) in the village (and this is a VERY small village) using my debit card, wth no problem at all. I did write down what I wanted, as I don't know Hungarian for '30,000', but the lady obviosly knew what I was there for, and duly obliged with any drama.

by the way, teh campsite owners are Dutch and speak reasonably good English (certainly better than my Dutch!)

PS - we needed ID, and you are more likely to here for credit card transactions and so on - we carry Photocopies of our passpoarts which ave been perfectly acceptable
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 22:14 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonegood
Thanks for info.

Do they have tolls or go boxes?

regards

Jon
No 'Go' boxes, but to use the motorways you have to have a vignette. We haven't used any motorways as we are over 3.5 tonnes, which is still a vignette, but considerably more expensive than those for under 3.5 tonnes.

Hungarian vignettes

over 3.5 tonnes is a B2 category (so long as you have less than 8 passengers!) The garages at he entry to the country are selling the vignettes -well advertised where we came in from Slovenia.

Hungary is not a large country, so unless you are in a hurry it's a matter of what it's worth for you to have one rather than not have one. Traffic is light by our standards, and Budapest is the only place we have found much, though the roads into and out of Budapest had many miles of 50/60 kph restriction through ribbon development leading into the city. Once outside that it's all free-flowing and just down to whether there are potholes or not - as said in my first post.

We love it ere and will be back again some day. Do try the Thermal Baths - there are lots of them and cheap by our standards - and wher we have tried they are warmer than the Med in mid-summer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page