Tolls for over 3.5 tonnes - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 28-04-2014, 20:48 Thread Starter

Tolls for over 3.5 tonnes

We are currently in Hungary and this is our experience:

Motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes require a B2 (I believe it is) VIGNETTE to use motorways; they do not require the vignette to use other roads. I tried to find out the answer to this question on the website, but was unable to find it. I did find a list of agents for the Hungarian tolls in various countries (surrounding Slovenia) and went to a Petrol station in Maribor, as indicated (literally branded 'PETROL'!), but they only had the vignettes for cars.

So I rang the number I had found on the website - +36 36 587 500 -
and spoke in English (all I can manage!) to a very helpful lady who said quite clearly that for a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes a vignette is only required to use the motorways - you can use any other roads without it. She pointed out that you can buy your vignette before you get to Hungary on-line. [I presume that your reg, no. will then be recorded, as I read that they check using mobile NPR cameras, but please don't take my word for it - if you need to, make your own checks - if necessary with one of the helpful staff at their call-centre]

When we entered Hungary we almost immediately passed a petrol station clearly advertising that they were selling vignettes. As we didn't want one - we are happy to pootle along on the main roads (all reasonably OK so far) without using motorways.

On our journey through to Heviz we passed under one camera gantry which I presume is there to record toll info (as it was similar to the ones in Poland used for the same purpose). How they know that a numberplate belongs to a vehicle liable to pay a toll - or not - I don't know, but I hope it does! Anyway, I am quite clear about the information I was given on the phone and it is clear that the Hungarian authorities have considered motorhomes and small (mini) buses as being distinct from goods carrying vehicles, so GOOD for them!! Very Happy Perhaps the Austrian authorities might like to consult with them and introduce vignette for motorhomes, but I'm not holding my breath!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page