Sziget Music Festival. Budapest - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 20:55 Thread Starter

Sziget Music Festival. Budapest

Hi. I'm mulling over the idea of going to the Sziget music festival in Hungary next August. First question, has anyone on here been before or even going this year? Next, how easy/hard is it to get there in the motorhome? Any tips on getting there, and back?
All information gratefully received.

TIA, Nick.

A small deed done is better than a great deed planned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:51

We went in our van to Sziget in 2011 and 2012. Didn't bother last year as I wasn't impressed with the line up.

It is a very good festival and you can stay for the best part of a week on the Island. Easy access to city centre for thermal baths etc and you can buy a special pass that includes entry to the baths. The campervan field is part of the festival site and there are no more barriers to go through once you are parked up. There is also hook up but this does seem heavily overloaded.

In terms of route there, we try to make a holiday of it as opposed to just driving there and back. In 2011, we went through Czech republic and returned through Slovakia and Poland. In 2012, we headed east through Slovakia and through the SW corner of Ukraine before spending around a week in Romania prior to heading to Budapest.

We drove straight back in 2012 leaving the festival site on the Monday morning for the Rotterdam-Hull ferry on the Tuesday evening. Most direct route is iether through Czech Republic or Austria. I preferred the Czech Route.

Costs at the festival are reasonable, especially for beer when compared with UK festivals. One work of warning; you are not allowed to bring alcohol onto the site and the vehicle serach can be rigorous. Make sure any spirits are well hidden. Given prices, it is not really worth bringing beer in.

Any further questions, please ask away.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 14:33 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. One or two questions. Did you have any problem purchasing tickets? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen any of the line up I'm holding back. Of coarse if they have a super line up I assume the tickets will be snapped up. Not sure how long to wait until I try to purchase mine. Also any problems at borders etc that I ought to be aware of?
I'm sure there will be other questions that come to mind later.

Nick.

A small deed done is better than a great deed planned.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoff
Thanks for the reply. One or two questions. Did you have any problem purchasing tickets? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen any of the line up I'm holding back. Of coarse if they have a super line up I assume the tickets will be snapped up. Not sure how long to wait until I try to purchase mine. Also any problems at borders etc that I ought to be aware of?
I'm sure there will be other questions that come to mind later.

Nick.
You can generally buy tickets right up to the event. Please note that you will need a campervan pass that costs E130. If you want (can afford) luxury there is also the VIP camping which includes additional showers and a swimming pool.

No problems at any borders. All EU. You will need a Vignette for Hungary and Austria / Czech Republic. If you do go via Czech Republic there is a street in Prague which comprises a series of houses with large backgardens that are used as campsites. 5 mins walk from tram stop for city centre.

I'm not sure if we are going this year. Will wait and see what the line up is. Alternatively we may go to this in Slovenia. Location looks fantastic and very good value; you would need to line punk music though! http://www.punkrockholiday.com/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-01-2014, 21:49

First acts announced this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page