East European Armed Gangs - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:22

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
I've recently got back from a 2 week tour of
France,
Belgium,
Germany (Winterberg)
Austria (Vienna),
Hungary (Budapest via the M1...),
Slovakia,
Czech Republic,
Poland (Auschwitz),
Poland (Wroclaw),
Germany (Colditz),
Germany (Berlin),
Holland (Bergen op Zoom)
and back to Dunkerque via Antwerp ring (not for the faint hearted!)

3000 miles round trip and we didn't have any problems at all - mind you we were 7 bikers on Harleys and camping each night so the" bad guys" probably took one look/smell and buggered off!!

Enjoy eastern Europe
The fuel is cheap(er)!
The beer is cheap!!
The Vodka is ridiculously cheap!!!

What's not to like?

Oh - and the "motorways" are so empty you could probably spot a potential incident several k's away and just take avoiding action.

Cheers

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:07

My Motorhome: 2015 Bailey Approach Autograph 740
Ok, raise the drawbridges, close the borders, it is far too dangerous to visit anywhere outside the UK. There are too many nasty men.
Come to think of is it safe hear? From what we read in our newspapers all of the Eastern European gangs have moved over here.
Gerry
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback, but lets get one thing straight, I'm not in the slightest worried. These things happen, but being for warned is helpful when criminals target specific vehicles on specific roads.

Believe me it does happen, my brother who runs a courier service all over europe was a victim years ago when he stopped off to take a leak at a services in the Czech Republic. they stuck a spike through his rear tyre. My brother saw them do it as he came out of the services and realising he would be robbed if he changed the tyre there and then. So he got in his van and drove as far away as possible before he changed the wheel.`

I found it amusing that asking a simple question could raise about gassing. How on earth this works I don't know, do they drive along side at 70mph and insert a pipe into your side windows hoping you won't look in your mirrors.

Tomorrow morning we'll head west from Vienna where they have had three weeks of rain and go to Budapest to be entertained by thunder and lightning. Hopefully the urban myth criminals will not like coming out in the rain.

Regards,

Zozzer

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:13

Hi Zozzer,

we were in Hungaria last time in march 2012. In Gyenesdias at Balaton i noticed a sign next by the city boundary with a text in hungarian and german:
"MIT EINER BÜRGERWACHE BEWACHTER ORT"

That means this village is watched by a guard of the citizens.
I was a little bit screwed up cause i thought, hmmh...black uniforms patroulling through the town with base ball equipment???....
So i asked the owner of the camping site and he said:
No, no, nothing to do with this. This is a group of neighbours, who organized themselves against the increasing crime. They simply patrol by night through the neighbouring streets and in case they observe something suspicious, they alert the police. Nothing more.
And he said that in this village the crime rate did sink drastically.

What shall i think?
Bad guys or well done?.....

Well, whatever will be thought about.....i feel safe in Hungaria, not everywhere, but....

Have fun

Bernd
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 14:49 Thread Starter

Better scrub my last message, as we have just decided not to Budapest this year, not because of any crime wave (real or imaginary) but because of the bad weather.

Instead, we will be going down to Ljubliana for a night, then crossing over to Croatia an staying on a site at Rovinj for seven nights.

Budapest will have to wait for another year.

Regards,

Zozzer
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 19:25

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozzer
Better scrub my last message, as we have just decided not to Budapest this year, not because of any crime wave (real or imaginary) but because of the bad weather.

Instead, we will be going down to Ljubliana for a night, then crossing over to Croatia an staying on a site at Rovinj for seven nights.

Budapest will have to wait for another year.
Hi Zozzer,

Went into Hungary last year after a great two months in Croatia. Ended up a few nights on a car park outside a bar near Lake Balaton. The owner and locals were very friendly and welcoming. Introduced me to a local spirit - it was awful! Fire water!

Met an expat with a motorhome and we went on to wild camp in Budapest, 5 minutes from the centre, alongside a park. Felt perfectly safe. If you get a chance another year give it a go.

Have a great time in Croatia. Try Senj. Probably busy now but was a great spot in April/May. Plitvicka is amazing and some of the Bistros allow motorhomes to park overnight for free.

Jed

Adapt to change quickly. The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy NEW CHEESE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page