Insurance for Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 30-05-2012, 21:49 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Rapido 746 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
Thanks Bagshanty but don't the problems start to arise when you have a scrape with a local vehicle or worse, knock someone over? I can imagine how difficult things might become if ever you bought insurance at the border and then tried to use it in an accident - but how much worse would it be if you were not insured at all?

Our insurers - Comfort/Aviva - have now told me they DON'T cover Serbia and Macedonia, or Albania or Kosovo, so the FCO statement is a bit misleading.

Am very tempted by Albania ...

Harry
To the best of my knowledge, only Caravanguard covers all of the Balkans. Personally, I wouldn't dream of travelling without fully comp insurance, and I really don't think I would trust the border bought insurance to cough up if needed

Albania gets better and better, am now on one of the friendliest sites I've been on anywhere. Blog just updated:
http://balkanbeetle.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 31-05-2012, 10:43

Oh, what fun and games!

Caravan Guard cover all the countries all right - BUT they don't cover personally imported vehicles - which ours is! Whether there is any logic to that or not I don't know but it seems ridiculous.

Safeguard, who we used to be with, does cover Serbia but not Macedonia, Albania or Kosovo.

We are heading for Greece so could go via Serbia and Bulgaria, which Safeguard covers, avoiding Macedonia entirely. But I hate Bulgaria and especially Sofia where we were turned over by traffic cops. And the extra cost for cancelling Comfort and switching to a Safeguard policy would be around Ģ100 so would outweigh the cost of buying 3rd party insurance at the Macedonia border.

Ho hum.

Harry

Above us only sky
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 17-06-2012, 22:27

Send a message via MSN to cilkad
My husband has just come back from Serbia and checked the Green card situation - Serbia IS in the Green card scheme so you don't have to pay anything at the border.
By the way, Camping and Caravaning Club Slovenia is organising a trip to northern Serbia in mid-August and there are a few places left if anyone would like to join us. We are leaving from Bled (Slovenia) and we'll be driving in Serbia only about 30 km and then trips are organised by bus. The price is very reasonable. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you the details. I will be away from tomorrow to 29 June, so I can answer after that.
Regards,
Cilka

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 18-06-2012, 08:03

Yes, Serbia is in the scheme and now even Comfort have woken up to that fact - but not before we'd switched to Safeguard for the peace of mind! Comfort charges for a Green Card, BTW, but Safeguard does not.

Am not at all happy with Comfort over their incompetence and greed.

Harry

Above us only sky
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 18-06-2012, 09:23

Hi Harry,

It will cost you €55 for third party cover in Macedonia, we came through the country in April.

Comfort charge an admin fee of Ģ17.50 for a 120 day Green Card for Turkey.

I have not found another insurer who can beat that price for the length of time.

Safe travelling.

Don
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-06-2013, 18:12

Camper Insurance and Breakdown cover for Montenegro...

Just tried to see if there were any previous threads about camper insurance and breakdown recovery for travelling to Montenegro. After five hours on the phone and internet this morning (?!) I ended up with Scenic Insurance (www.scenicinsurance.co.uk) for fully comp isurance of our '04 Hymer Exsis (for much less than our current insurer), and they were really helpful[B]. I managed to sourse Recovery etc from the RAC. Many other 'leading brands' only offered 3rd party insurance (if any) and no recovery etc etc. An interesting experience but all part of it I guess!?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-06-2013, 18:50

Re: Camper Insurance and Breakdown cover for Montenegro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openboat
Just tried to see if there were any previous threads about camper insurance and breakdown recovery for travelling to Montenegro. After five hours on the phone and internet this morning (?!) I ended up with Scenic Insurance (www.scenicinsurance.co.uk) for fully comp isurance of our '04 Hymer Exsis (for much less than our current insurer), and they were really helpful[B]. I managed to sourse Recovery etc from the RAC. Many other 'leading brands' only offered 3rd party insurance (if any) and no recovery etc etc. An interesting experience but all part of it I guess!?
Interesting that Scenic Insutance is Swinton which is essentially Safeguard and thus underwritten by Allianz.

Can you confirm what countries are covered fully comprehensive? I know that Safe Guard recently added Serbia to its list of countries (as required by EU law) but last time I checked Montengero, Macedonia, Bosnia and Albania are all excluded.

I would check that the recovery is an 'on call' service and not like many a sort it out yourself and claim back later arrangement.

Would be great to get some more info
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 26-06-2013, 13:05

Camper Insurance and Breakdown cover for Montenegro...

I only asked about Croatia & Montenegro in addition to 'normal' European countries. I'll check the RAC breakdown cover...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 15-07-2013, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openboat
Interesting that Scenic Insutance is Swinton which is essentially Safeguard and thus underwritten by Allianz.

Can you confirm what countries are covered fully comprehensive? I know that Safe Guard recently added Serbia to its list of countries (as required by EU law) but last time I checked Montengero, Macedonia, Bosnia and Albania are all excluded.

I would check that the recovery is an 'on call' service and not like many a sort it out yourself and claim back later arrangement.

Would be great to get some more info
Just called Caravan Club insurance as we are off to the Balkans next week. Green Card for Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bosnia all sorted out and being posted out. No additional charge.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 15-07-2013, 14:31

Quote:

Just called Caravan Club insurance as we are off to the Balkans next week. Green Card for Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bosnia all sorted out and being posted out. No additional charge.
Glad you got sorted. Is the Green Card fully comp or just third party cover like some of the other insurers?

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page