Albania or Kosovo - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-09-2010, 20:48 Thread Starter

Albania or Kosovo

Planning a general itinerary for our 10 month trip through Europe. One country that our insurance will not cover with the rental company is Albania. At one point this will create a dilemma. After Dubrovnik we will head down to Greece via Montenegro and then Skopje and Macedonia. And without making a long detour this will leave us with two choices: either risk the hassle of an uninsured accident and get quickly across Albania in a few hours, or drive through Kosovo. I'm not sure what the situation in Kosovo is for tourists but just from my knowledge of current affairs I fear it may be risky. So, which do you think would be the better option. Worst case we could also drive around Kosovo to the north, which is the detour I mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-09-2010, 21:06

Re: Albania or Kosovo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aless
Planning a general itinerary for our 10 month trip through Europe. One country that our insurance will not cover with the rental company is Albania. At one point this will create a dilemma. After Dubrovnik we will head down to Greece via Montenegro and then Skopje and Macedonia. And without making a long detour this will leave us with two choices: either risk the hassle of an uninsured accident and get quickly across Albania in a few hours, or drive through Kosovo. I'm not sure what the situation in Kosovo is for tourists but just from my knowledge of current affairs I fear it may be risky. So, which do you think would be the better option. Worst case we could also drive around Kosovo to the north, which is the detour I mentioned.
Hi Ales,

You can buy third party cover at most border posts.

We bought cover at the Albanian and Montenegrin borders earlier this year see HERE and HERE

Safe travelling.

Don
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-09-2010, 21:19 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Don. Not sure how the insurance works with a rental. If something happened in Albania, would I have to get it fixed before returning the van in Germany and then get myself reimbursed by the Albanian insurance?

And does your reply suggest going through Albania would be a better idea than Kosovo? Thanks again.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-09-2010, 21:25 Thread Starter

Just been to the Foreign Office website and answered my own question Amongst other things:
When visiting Kosovo, you may be required, by the Kosovo border police, to provide documents explaining your visit;
As in previous years, Kosovo is experiencing an outbreak of Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF). 5 deaths have been reported;
Residual landmines and other unexploded ordnance remain in Kosovo;

I think I'll go Albania or the detour
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-09-2010, 21:29

The insurance is liability cover purchased by an insured (the first party) from an insurer (the second party) for protection against the claims of another (the third) party.

The first party is responsible for its own damages or losses whether caused by itself or the third party.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page