Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Advice on what to see in Croatia

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dandywarhol 
#1 ·
Hi,

Currently in Italy close to the Slovenian border. I have a good idea on what I want to see whilst in Slovenia but after that I plan to visit Croatia (late August) and I'm looking for advice on campsites and places I simply must see.

I already know I want to visit Plitvice for sure and I gather Camp Korana seems the campsite most recommend?).

I'm also thinking of Pula, Rovinj, Split and Dubrovnik. Never been diving before but would be keen to try snorkelling parhaps, any advce on the best place to do it?

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

#2 ·
There are lost of BIG sites along the Istrian coast, directly on the water. Whether you'd get on some (or find a decent pitch) in the peak season is questionable? Pula is a fascinating place - a working town / port, and it has loads of history, including the ampitheatre - unmissable.

WE did Istria a few years back, but didn't have time to go as far as Dubrovnik or the islands - would like to get back there 8)

#4 ·
Croatia what to see

We are all just too busy I guess, or away on our own hols? Here, we have an impending wedding and lots of relatives here and arriving!

However,
Croatia is fabulous, eau de nil coloured sea, white beaches, little towns clustered on headlands . . .

We found the further S. you go the less tourists there are, the more unspoilt it is.
Try to do some island -hopping by ferry, you can't buy tickets in advance, just turn up at the office on the quay, it is simply a beautiful sea to wander around in.

Do what we didn't do, catch a ferry to Dubrovnik leaving your van parked at Cavtat - the guidebooks will tell you the details.

A great book for the journey is Black Lamb Grey Falcon by Rebecca West, also part of Fitzroy Maclean's Eastern Approaches was in and around Korcula and Vis.

More later, if I have time . . .!

Helen

#5 ·
Hi

Lake Bohinj has a nice camp site at foot of the lake.

We stayed at a small family run campsite called "camp Jessonova" just outside Sibenik on the way to split.

Don't forget to check your insurance if driving to Dubrovnik on motorway as you pass through a small section of Bosnia.

Have fun.

K1m

#7 ·
Croatia, what to see

Also, forgot to say . . .

We visited Dubrovnik on a Saturday in late May, and chatting to a shopkeeper, found that 4 cruise ships were in that day . . . there did seem to be rather a lot of tourists!

He showed us a calendar, of which days the boats were in - possibly visible online at google.hr . . . anyway, worth choosing your day . . .

Helen

#8 ·
Just come back from visiting Dubrovnik. Found it much busier but it was getting towards peak holiday season. We last went there in 2006 and the intervening years don't seem to have changed it that much. The dock area had been tidied up/improved and I expect the motorways have been extended, other than that my 2006 report >here< is probably still valid.

peedee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.