Croatia-three question please - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-06-2007, 08:35

must sees in croatia

can't help with questions 1 &2 as we've just finished our tour of Croatia & Greece, & we always use sites, but for us the highlights were rocky coves & v tourist friendly Istria (Rovinj is beautiful, easy to park, gr8 sites, day trip 2Venice brilliant. Porec pretty 4lunch, Pula 4amazing amphitheater) Limski fjord, Trogir is spectacular, you must spend a day, & can island hop from there, Most people visit Plitvice Lakes for stunning nat park setting, but we preferred KRK national park - amazing waterfalls & mountain scenery, you won't regret a day there. Dubrovnik was v touristy & not in a good way, as in try to avoid the cruise ship days & you'll have a much better visit, but the architecture has to be seen, we loved it & found it v easy to organize our ferry to Italy from there - great port to sail from at night, v easy access, safe & gr8 night views of new town & harbour + the new bridge. If you go down that far, check yr insurance gives you adequate cover for the approx 6mile stretch of Bosnia&Herzogovina you have to drive thru - but its all v safe & easy, have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-06-2007, 21:16

I would not recommend wild camping anywhere and certainly not in Croatia. We were there a couple of years ago. Beautiful coast line and some very very narrow roads on some of these islands. My wife was not very happy and sometimes even for me white knuckles when passing. If you want to read get yourself "Croatia" from "Lonely Planet". It is even in English with excellent information.
Enjoy Croatia it is worthwile.
John Bouwens
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-06-2007, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinejohan
I would not recommend wild camping anywhere and certainly not in Croatia. We were there a couple of years ago. Beautiful coast line and some very very narrow roads on some of these islands. My wife was not very happy and sometimes even for me white knuckles when passing. If you want to read get yourself "Croatia" from "Lonely Planet". It is even in English with excellent information.
Enjoy Croatia it is worthwile.
John Bouwens
John,

You say "I would not recommend wild camping anywhere" Do you include Aires, Stelplatz and Sostas

Don

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-06-2007, 09:23

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
I would not call these wild spots Don, even then I would chose with care there being no security at most of them. My perception is the world is becoming an increasingly lawless place and what we would have done 20 years ago might not be quite so safe these days plus with age a certain amount of insecurity creeps in as well. I think we all have to make our own choices as to what is wild camping and what is safe.

I have been out of circulation for a while so have missed a great deal so this might have been posted on here before if so apologies. There was an item on south Yorks local news about three weeks ago about a holiday couple being attacked in their motorhome whilst overnighting in a layby in Ireland. A particular nasty incident as an axe was involved. It certainly adds weight to John's view point.

Thanks for the accolade on my Croatian write up.

The must sees for me in Croatia would be Plitvika Lakes and the old towns of Split and Dubrovnik.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-06-2007, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee
I would not call these wild spots Don, even then I would chose with care there being no security at most of them. My perception is the world is becoming an increasingly lawless place and what we would have done 20 years ago might not be quite so safe these days plus with age a certain amount of insecurity creeps in as well. I think we all have to make our own choices as to what is wild camping and what is safe.

I have been out of circulation for a while so have missed a great deal so this might have been posted on here before if so apologies. There was an item on south Yorks local news about three weeks ago about a holiday couple being attacked in their motorhome whilst overnighting in a layby in Ireland. A particular nasty incident as an axe was involved. It certainly adds weight to John's view point.

Thanks for the accolade on my Croatian write up.

The must sees for me in Croatia would be Plitvika Lakes and the old towns of Split and Dubrovnik.

peedee
Pete,

I'm with you 100% on safety, we don't consider offical stopping places as "Wild Camping" in fact I now use "Parking" instead of camping, when I remember of course.

The only reason I raised the point is there are a lot of very inexperienced motorhomers on MHF and they might get the impression that the Aires/Stelplatz etc are considered "Wild Parking".

A friend was broken into while parked up on an Aire near Calais few nights ago, I would suggest you get well clear of the area before stopping especially at this time of the year.

It also seems that motorhome parking on Calais docks is now being discouraged. Lets hope this is just for the high season.

We have used the Dover - Calais crossing in the last year but from now on we are reverting back to the Hull - Zeebrugge/Rotterdam crossing.

I've printed off your trip to Croatia as we plan to visit Crete and return home via Albania, Macedonia and Croatia. I'll be in touch later as I have a few questions for you.

Safe Travelling.

Don
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-06-2007, 19:05

I've just got back from Dubrovnik 60th birthday present from my wife bless her. We hired a car whilst there so we could do a reci of the camp sites for future use. What a wonderful coast line and such friendly people, at a small restaurant we met up with a waiter who invited us back to his house in the hills to meet his family and was able to sample his local hooch. Then insisted that we have lunch, home cured ham goats cheese made by his wife, best I've ever tasted, his own tomato and onions all wash down with home made wine.
Before leaving he gave us a bottle of fig liquor, olive oil, bag of dried figs and a traditional fruit cheese! and made us promise to return. When I said that there was not a place large enough to put our motor home he said he would construct one and that we could use it with no charge as often as we liked. We promise to return in 2008/9 and will be keeping in touch.
Back to Camp sites if your going to the Dubrovnik Region the
www.dubrovnik-campingregion.com may be of some help.
One site we came across was AUTOKAMP MONIKA near the village of Molunat www.camp-monika.hr/ a small site that steps down to the sea and is run by a nice helpful lady who speaks english.
A well kept site with small restaurant in a nice quiet location.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-06-2007, 22:31

Thanks for the links and the info they will come in useful next year.

I can't get the Dubrovnik link to work properly, can you help me out please. http://www.dubrovnik-campingregion.com/

Don
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 00:00

Hi Don
Just tried that link myself and sorry it did'nt work which is a shame as I've a great booklet that they gave me, So here are the sites in it .
SOLITUDO *** www.valamar.com
AGAVA *** www.autocampagava.com
KATE *** www.campingkate.com
MATKOVICA * E-Mail [email protected]
KAPARI ** www.campkupari.com
MONIKA *** www.camp-monika.hr recommend
ADRIATIC 1 ** www.dubrovnikportal.com/auto-kamp-adriatic
MARINERO * www.tzcavtat-konavle.hr
PECA * www.camp.peca.hr
POD MASLINOM ** www.orasac.com
MASALINA ** www.autocamp.maslina.hr
BANICI * www. dubrovnik-advance.com/autocamp-banici
PRAPRATNO *** www.duprimorje.hr "Recommend" large site in
beautiful bay when I ask when they closed the lady said when the last camper leaves!!
I would say that if you Email [email protected] they might send you their booklet DUBROVNIK REGION Camping 2007. its well worth getting
Best of luck Wobby

PS sorry so long replying my phone line is on the blink
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:51

Thanks Wobby havee copied that lot.

Don
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 14:13

Update

Web site update
www.duprimorje.hr/index.html Then go to Accommodation
That should work
Wobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page