Croatia, here I come! - Page 23 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

223Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 257 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thanks for that! I noticed Giveny so I'm going to have a look at Monet's garden either today or tomorrow, depending on how busy they are.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 257 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:06

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
It'll be all overgrown by now Jean.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #223 of 257 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 Thread Starter

Hahaha - You may be right! But I think the lure of money coming in will encourage them in the upkeep!

Jean

post #224 of 257 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 17:20

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Giverny is brilliant Jean at any time of the year. The last time we visited there was a free air just across the road from the entrance. No facilities but spacious and quiet.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #225 of 257 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 17:29 Thread Starter

Yes, all the parking is free. I've bought tickets for the gardens and the museum for tomorrow. I'll go to the gardens 1st thing, hopefully before the crowds arrive - they've quite a number of groups coming tomorrow so hopefully I'll see it without all the hordes. Then see the museum later - there's probably less interest in that.

This pic is of a corner of the café garden - bodes well for the rest!

The weather was atrocious coming up, and another downpour while I was here. Blue in the sky right now. Pray for good weather tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190612_173801_1560356800457.jpg (810.9 KB, 2 views)
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #226 of 257 (permalink) Old 13-06-2019, 21:10 Thread Starter

I did the gardens first thing then the house (should've done the house 1st as there was quite a queue later) the the water garden, then the museum. And I was pretty much done when the sun came out! Well, although there was a bit of drizzle from time to time at least it wasn't pelting it down. The lack of sun meant the colours weren't so vibrant tho. But the scent.....! Funny, I didn't see anyone else smelling the flowers which seemed odd - it's half the pleasure for me. Well worth it. Not so sure about the museum.

The parking was bunged when I got back last night.

I drove over to Évreux today - again, the weather was atrocious. My family have passed round/through Évreux for many years but I don't think we ever stopped.

I'm parked on the sports area parking beside a wee stream and it's lovely. Maybe 30mins walk into town. I dropped into a church as I was passing - they are having a musical evening tomorrow and someone was trying to tune a tiny bellows-type organ to the main organ - pretty unsuccessfully it seemed to me, but I'm not musical! A young man had been pacing up down outside the church, studying a folder. I reckon maybe he was the singer, having a quiet melt-down!

I visited the town museum which had this statue outside (pic), with no info on him, and I forgot to ask. He seems to be 'wearing' some sort of calibration gear, as if someone was going to make a 3-D model of him.

It was a lovely walk along the river for the most part. I stopped at a hostelry on the way home n the host's wife had spent a couple of months working in Mullingar for her hotelier training. She thought the people were lovely, the town - not so much!

Pics:
1. Monet's Garden
2. A view from the house
3. The calibrated man?
4. The parking at Évreux - I look as if I'm about to fall off but I'm not!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190613_093536_1560456443619.jpg (619.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190613_095446_1560456499937.jpg (320.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190613_164412_1560456533718.jpg (864.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190613_191123_1560456579669.jpg (820.3 KB, 9 views)
HurricaneSmith and raynipper like this.

Jean
post #227 of 257 (permalink) Old 16-06-2019, 21:15 Thread Starter

Stopped in Lisieux where I followed in the footsteps of Ste Thérèse. There was a blue line on the pavement I thought was to segregate pedestrians n cyclists but no, it was her tour. Went to her home, her church, her convent n read quite a bit online and I still don't know why she was canonised - even made a Dr of the Church or something similar which is very rare. I always feel folk who retreat to convents or similar are avoiding real life and I can't see the contribution they make to society. I know they pray for the outside world, but they could do that while also doing something useful. Just my penn'orth!

The following morning I visited her (massive) basilica - I was parked with numerous other vans just over the road. It seems she was canonised for her spiritual writings, a kind of autobiography. The basilica was very impressive but I always wonder - Why? Apparently the local clergy and the townspeople were against it but the local Bishop, and the Pope, wanted it so there it is.

Moved on to Ouistreham and visited the local Kieffer French Commando museum and the massively tall German bunker. It was further than I thought (from the Bella Riva campsite) n my poor hips were feeling it!

There's a group of immigrants at the roundabout one of whom tried to board a lorry as it slowed right in front of me but there was nowhere to get purchase. Meanwhile another is yelling at him, very upset - I wonder if they'd agreed to go together. They seem nice lads, very polite n when I walked into town I gave them a voucher I'd got from the local Lidl for free fish fingers! I think they thought I was going to remonstrate with them and were pleased when I was positive.

This afternoon I cycled to the Pegasus Memorial. It's a very moving museum with many personal stories of the men involved. I hadn't realised that so many gliders were used - and that they were single-use only (obvious really!) and made of 3mm... Did she say plywood or hardboard? Anyway, absolutely no protection from bullets, bombs, crashes. One of them landed right beside the bridge - amazing. Used my full-assist on the bike coming home - much appreciated!

Pics:
1. Thérèse's home - all 5 surviving daughters entered convents, 4 of them including Thérèse in the local Carmelite. So there was no-one there for their father in his ailing years. Sad, I thought.
2. The amazing basilica
3. Another set of steps I've chickened out of this trip - vertical, to the top of the German bunker and it was blowing a gale!
4. A replica glider at the Pegasus Memorial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190614_174537_1560715563479.jpg (562.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_103125_1560715740109.jpg (494.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_183721_1560715977396.jpg (386.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_173813_1560716065981.jpg (399.9 KB, 8 views)
HurricaneSmith and raynipper like this.

Jean
post #228 of 257 (permalink) Old 16-06-2019, 23:01

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I would add a penny worth to yours in the first paragraph Jean.

All these churches you have visited do you feel any more saintly?😁

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #229 of 257 (permalink) Old 17-06-2019, 00:02

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
My son's have asked me similar questions when I've shown them photos of my various trips. For me, the answer is no but I always find it inspiring to see what humanity can build when they are inspired by faith. The mosques of Central Asia, for example, are stunning.

I've visited the basilica at Lisieux, parked in the same motorhome spaces adjacent the busy road as Jean, and thought it remarkable. Did you know that the poor lass died of TB at only 24, and from memory it's the second most visited pilgrimage after Lourdes, a place I couldn't get out of fast enough (although precious to folk who are poorly.)

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #230 of 257 (permalink) Old 17-06-2019, 13:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
All these churches you have visited do you feel any more saintly?😁
Not at all Jan - in fact the more I attend the more questions I have. Mostly I visit for historical/architectural interest, on Sunday I generally go to service because I'm drawn to (probably something to do with my upbringing!)

I agree with hurricanesmith that it's inspiring. What negates that is the self-serving of so many who've been in charge since.

I keep remembering the doors of the cathedral in Ljubljana, with the Bishops definitely keeping Jesus in his place, in the tomb, and not rising to interfere with their enjoyment of pomp and ceremony.

Gosh, that sounds very harsh - but it seems to me so much activity within church, especially building works, are simply vanity projects.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page