Croatia...Van or no van - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlug View Post
hi Tony, have you done this trip? i am thinking off a 6 month trip ending in Greece and looking for routes atm

tia
Yes,pretty much. Didn't come back via Italy. Went down by a combination of Adriatic coast and islands. Then back on the mainland, including the short strip of Bosnia north of Dubrovnik. Ended up in Istria, the back into Slovenia and round via Trieste to Venice (Punta Sabbioni on the lagoon). If you have Greece in your sights, bear in mind that many UK insurers will not offer Green Card for Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and FYR Macedonia. You can buy local 3rd party cover at the borders, I believe, but Iwould have serious doubts as to the adequacy of this.
Tony
Btw I was in Croatia/Slovenia at the time of football Euros (2012?). They are both football mad countries and watching matches at beach bars with multinational crowds was epic!

You can teach a turkey to climb a tree but, on the whole, it´s better to hire a monkey.
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_g For This Useful Post:
TheSlug (09-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 23:51

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_g View Post
Yes,pretty much. Didn't come back via Italy. Went down by a combination of Adriatic coast and islands. Then back on the mainland, including the short strip of Bosnia north of Dubrovnik. Ended up in Istria, the back into Slovenia and round via Trieste to Venice (Punta Sabbioni on the lagoon). If you have Greece in your sights, bear in mind that many UK insurers will not offer Green Card for Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and FYR Macedonia. You can buy local 3rd party cover at the borders, I believe, but Iwould have serious doubts as to the adequacy of this.
Tony
Btw I was in Croatia/Slovenia at the time of football Euros (2012?). They are both football mad countries and watching matches at beach bars with multinational crowds was epic!
My very basic loose plan atm is:

out - Dunkirk - Germany - Austria - slovenia - Croatia - Bosnia - Montenegro - Albania - Greece
back - Bulgaria - Romania - Hungary - Slovakia - Poland - Germany - France - Home

as i said looking at 6 month and i know about the insurance, anything else you can give tips/advice on?

thanks again

No Rush, No Hurry-Life as a Slug
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlug View Post
My very basic loose plan atm is:

out - Dunkirk - Germany - Austria - slovenia - Croatia - Bosnia - Montenegro - Albania - Greece
back - Bulgaria - Romania - Hungary - Slovakia - Poland - Germany - France - Home

as i said looking at 6 month and i know about the insurance, anything else you can give tips/advice on?

thanks again
It's a few years since we were there but I think it is still the case that you have to stay on campsites (or at least somewhere that can give you a receipt) in Croatia. Some enterprising people put up signs offering an overnight pitch on their driveway or field but much of the rocky coastline has commercial campsites where it is viable. It is said that the police can stop you and ask to see receipts. I don't have first hand knowledge of that, though. You will see iron boxes with smoke coming out outside some restaurants, they are roasting whole pigs! We met people who stayed overnight in the carpark of places like this, with their agreement, had a meal and got the necessary receipt. My only other advice would be to take your time. On reflection, I think we rather rushed it. Which is why we are going back. Have a great trip.
Tony
PS I think you'll find lots more info in forums on here and on Fun.
TheSlug and TheSlug like this.

You can teach a turkey to climb a tree but, on the whole, it´s better to hire a monkey.
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_g For This Useful Post:
TheSlug (10-01-2018)

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:06

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
I did follow your trip at the time Sandra but can't remember - how long were you away?
About 8 weeks in all, Jean

But we had a couple of week long stops, and we did rather rush the homeward stretch

Shot up through Austria, visited Innsbruck , beautiful scenery in the Dolomites but we didnt dawdle and on to home

Sandra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page