Croatia routes and vignettes/GO Boxes - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 00:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E795
Croatia routes and vignettes/GO Boxes

We're hoping to head to Croatia in the next couple of months. En route (or maybe on the way back), we'd like to visit Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and Zagreb. We will be away for 6-8 weeks.

I have read through recent entries in the Croatia forum and picked up some helpful information, but would also like some information on routes please. As my MH doesn't seem to like prolonged driving uphill, I would like to design my route accordingly. Google maps suggests that if I go from Calais to Prague, then follow the other named cities in a straightish line, I should be ok. So, any input would be welcome, as well as tips on any of the places and their campsites etc.

Also, is is there a straightforward route home from, say, Trieste?

Lastly, I know about GO Boxes in Austria (my MH is 4250kg) and Vignettes in Slovenia, but do any of the other countries have charging systems?

I know that's a lot to ask, but thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 02:28

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijgouder View Post
We're hoping to head to Croatia in the next couple of months. En route (or maybe on the way back), we'd like to visit Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and Zagreb. We will be away for 6-8 weeks.

I have read through recent entries in the Croatia forum and picked up some helpful information, but would also like some information on routes please. As my MH doesn't seem to like prolonged driving uphill, I would like to design my route accordingly. Google maps suggests that if I go from Calais to Prague, then follow the other named cities in a straightish line, I should be ok. So, any input would be welcome, as well as tips on any of the places and their campsites etc.

Also, is is there a straightforward route home from, say, Trieste?

Lastly, I know about GO Boxes in Austria (my MH is 4250kg) and Vignettes in Slovenia, but do any of the other countries have charging systems?

I know that's a lot to ask, but thanks in advance.
Czech Rep. and Slowakia both have box systems for 'motorways/major roads'. As does Poland, but not on your route.

You might spend several hours getting all the boxes and claiming the refunds although some systems only charge at the end.

It puts me off going to those countries. We live in Poland and know how to avoid the need for a box and also when visiting the parts of Slovakia we go to.

It is a nightmare, which if the EU had any use should have been sorted out ab initio to create one system.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (17-04-2016)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 09:15
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Hi

We are off on our long summer trip in July part of which will involve Poland and the Czech Republic. As Geoff says both need OBU (On Board Units).

I have spent some time planning/plotting routes so that I can collect one on entry to Poland - return it when leaving - collect one for the CR - return that upon leaving. Not all roads have points where you can get them so you will need to visit their websites.

I plotted roads and then checked these with the respective websites and had to amend my plans slightly. As its all new to us that isn't a bother.

On the days where we have to collect the OBU's I have planned shorter driving days in case of bureaucracy!

A few things worth mentioning

1) Both the Polish and Czech authorities have been really great when I have emailed them for help/clarification. Their English is first class as well so don't be put off doing that.

2) I haven't been able to establish whether one can drop off one box and collect the other at the same place. When I leave Poland and head into the CR it would be great if we could do this (joined up thinking ) but I suspect I shall have to drop off the Polish one first and then stop again a few miles down the road to pick up the other.

3) Whilst you can preregister on line to speed things up, neither countries will allow you to pay upfront and post the boxes to you...which is a shame.

4) They both operate a pre pay and post pay system. The prepay looks to be most suitable for us temporary travellers; the post pay seemingly aimed more at hauliers...they want bank details and bank guarantees etc.

I was in two minds the other day to cancel the Polish and CR legs of the trip and spend the 2 weeks staying longer in Germany tbh but decided the experiences(s) would be worth it...at least once

Not having visited either country I want the boxes as I don't want any roads being barred from use especially as I have read/heard that some roads conditions can be a bit iffy when off the beaten track

Graham
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

Last edited by GMJ; 17-04-2016 at 09:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (17-04-2016)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 09:35

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
The most direct routes from Trieste to Calais is either via Austria or Switzerland. Both of these involve going uphill. In practical terms Switzerland involves motorway tolls where you have to pay the PVSA charge (min cost is SFR25 for over 3500kg). Route would be Trieste, Milan, Chiasso, Basel. You can avoid tolls through Austria. In fact if you go via Austria you can travel toll free the whole way from the Italian/Austrian border to Calais. The tolls in Italy are not expensive, €37.20 from Trieste to the Austrian border at Brennero or €34.50 to the Swiss border at Chiasso.
The Following User Says Thank You to kabundi For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (17-04-2016)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 09:38
GMJ

Personal Aire
We did Italy through Austria to Germany toll free for the Austrian part, last summer but no avoiding the mountains I'm afraid...but wow...what a journey though

Graham

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (17-04-2016)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 10:49

When we went through Croatia we never paid any tolls at all, same with Poland, there again we do not use motorways preferring to see the country's as the locals do..

We find European City's are a pain in the butt, you can never park a motorhome near enough to anything, never mind the city traffic..

Tolls are not necessarily a given, we went away for a year did 22 countries and never paid a penny in tolls, it depends on your time scale and if you can manage without motorways!. There is far more to see on the back roads as you drive along, we never knew where we were going apart from the end destination of a country, it was what the Tom Tom threw up every day on the way there that made the trip so worth while and kept the interest up as every day became an adventure.

ray.
hondaboy and hondaboy like this.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
The Following User Says Thank You to rayrecrok For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (17-04-2016)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 10:53
GMJ

Personal Aire
Don't get me wrong Ray we much prefer to use smaller roads as well however as its our first trip I am getting the boxes just in case. If we can do some 'wending' we will. Mrs GMj isn't too good on maps and I'm not sure what her Polish and Czech pronunciation will be like either

You should hear her when we go to Wales...

Graham

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 11:32

Croatia was our favourite country on the whole trip. On our way down to Greece, we had left Hungary the land of a million potholes via Slovenia into Croatia, we then followed the coast down to Montenegro then Albania and Greece.

ray.
GMJ and GMJ like this.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 17:08

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Came north from Greece all the way, Slovenia, Austria included without a vignette or paying a toll 3 weeks agol. Very interesting. If you have the time much prefer off motorway. We are 6t.

Dick
GMJ and GMJ like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (17-04-2016)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 19:28

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Came north from Greece all the way, Slovenia, Austria included without a vignette or paying a toll 3 weeks agol. Very interesting. If you have the time much prefer off motorway. We are 6t.

Dick
Dick

Welcome back.

What was your route from Greece to Slowenia?

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
kabundi (17-04-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page