Croatia routes and vignettes/GO Boxes - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 21:55

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Dick

Welcome back.

What was your route from Greece to Slowenia?

Geoff
Hi Geoff, I took what the locals described as the "old Albanian highway" out of Ioanina. Into Albania we visited Gyrocaster and Berat. The trans Adriatic highway up the country now has a good surface but is single carriageway for 99%. Other roads once off the Highway are absolutely horrendous in places. Max speeds of 15-20mph with some very dodgy looking bridges andhuge landslip and earthquake damage unrepaired from what looks like the last 75 years.

Then Montenegro, a couple of miles of Bosnia (no border posts) and back to Montenegro. Did plan to go up to Mostar and Sarajevo but after turning East the border force refused to accept my (emailed green card) and wanted to scam me for one of theirs.

Uncharacteristically I told them to stuff it, turned around back to the Montenegro border and they tried to shake me down for liquor and fags, it was only 20 yards and they could see what had happened.

Then up the Dalmatian coast, as wondrously beautiful as I'd heard, then inland to Zagreb, over the border to Lubijana, Lake Bled and onwards.

Dick
GMJ and GMJ like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
bijgouder (18-04-2016), nicholsong (18-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 16:06 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E795
Thanks people.

Some excellent information there, although the thought of having to go through all that palaver to get the correct authorisation to drive on motorways is a bit off-putting. I take the point that it may be worth the effort to see the places, but still, I'll have to think about that a bit more. Maybe I will try the non-motorway routes.

Any thoughts on driving down through Bosnia to Dubrovnik? I see there are some issues about insurance, and also suggestions to work around that by getting on a ferry. Is it likely that my current insurer wouldn't insure for Bosnia?

Also, can I have a view on your must-sees for Croatia please?

Thanks in advance.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijgouder View Post
Thanks people.

Some excellent information there, although the thought of having to go through all that palaver to get the correct authorisation to drive on motorways is a bit off-putting. I take the point that it may be worth the effort to see the places, but still, I'll have to think about that a bit more. Maybe I will try the non-motorway routes.

Any thoughts on driving down through Bosnia to Dubrovnik? I see there are some issues about insurance, and also suggestions to work around that by getting on a ferry. Is it likely that my current insurer wouldn't insure for Bosnia?

Also, can I have a view on your must-sees for Croatia please?

Thanks in advance.
Chances are that you will hardly notice the 6 or 7 miles of Bosnia you have travel through. There no border posts, or even the infrastructure for them. It is like crossing the English Scottish border. A sign if you are observant, the coast road is like a corridor through Bosnia with no turnoff into the rest of the country. In short a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse eh?

The whole of the Dalmatian Coast is fantastic, fjords on the Adriatic! A particular favourite was the area around the Stron peninsula oysters to die for.. Must see cities are Zarda, Trogir, Split (be warned a large city) as well as Debrovnic. It continues into Montenegro (back in the eurozone) with Kotor being a particular gem.wild camping no problems down the coast outside of towns.

Dick
bijgouder (19-04-2016), nicholsong (19-04-2016)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 21:11

The thing that will stuff you as you enter Montenegro and Albania is your insurance as they are not part of the EU, your insurance should cover you for all EU countries and they should be listed on your insurance certificate.. We had a kafuffle at Montenegro and Albania borders but the get out is you can buy insurance at the border, there is an insurance office at both borders to buy insurance but it is third party only, the insurance for Montenegro was only about 20 Euros but the insurance guy at Albania wanted 100 Euros, I haggled him down to 50 Euros which was still extortionate.. Also your breakdown cover will not be active in any non EU countries so drive carefully!.

The answer is get Montenegro and Albania and any other non EU country you might visit from your own insurer, and make sure they are on the list of countries on your insurance certificate as they will be checked at the borders.. The reason I got caught out was I didn't know we would be going through these countries so having them on my insurance never crossed my mind, learn from my mistakes!.....

ray.
GMJ and GMJ like this.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rayrecrok For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 22:15

I got all balkans countries from my inssurer on a green card emailed to me and printed out. It was excepted by all but Bosnia. Moral get it printed out on green paper!

Dick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page