Croatia....is it worth it ? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 21:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Croatia....is it worth it ?

Evenin' All

I have heard quite a few times that Croatia is worth the trip, is it ?

Has anyone been ?

And if so what would be the best route

Cheers

DJM

We LOVE Our "MO"

Dave & Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 22:26

Hi
it is worth it.
Lovely country and lovely people .English is spoken everywhere.
We went via France, Germany Austria Italy and then a short distance through Slovenia and into Croatia Plitvic lakes and Krka falls are wonderful.
Good ACSI sites, cold in the winter but hot in the summer.
If you get the time go up to the Bosnian border, the villages still have the shelled and shot up houses, sounds gory but interesting to see.
have fun

Tony
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 22:32 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Hi Tony

Thanks for the info, sounds good

cheers

DJM

We LOVE Our "MO"

Dave & Jan

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 00:22

My Motorhome: AutoTrail Tracker FB
I agree with all that Tony has written, we thought that Plitvika and Krka parks were fantastic. Dubrovnik and Split are definitely worth a visit too.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:13

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Have a look at my account of our trip >here<. It was some time ago but it should give you a better idea of what to expect.
peedee
Telbell and Telbell like this.

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:00

We drove all the way down the coast road of the old Yugoslavia, and it was very scenic.
It was a sort of corniche , we detoured to see the original Mostar bridge and went into Dubrovnik That was 26 years ago, prior to the war and people were very very poor and facilities equally poor, and grocery shops had many empty shelves.
I remember one campsite where the showers were cold water from the mountains. It makes me shiver just to think about it!
We were on route to Turkey and it was worth the detour.
Would I go again, Yes except for all the stupid road toll systems I read about.
Go boxes and vignettes! You need to check these out so you know where and what to get
Enjoy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 21:41

Personal Aire
We did Croatia in 2010, Calais Luxembourg, Germany Austria, Slovenia and down onto the Croatian Coast. Followed it all the way down with trips up to the National Parks and on to Ploce and then got the ferry across to the peninsula to miss out the Bosnia (?) bit and onto Dubrovnic. For our return we followed Andy Stotherts advice and went out to Loviste on the Pelegesaic Peninsula, stunning location, stunning host for some R&R on the beach before heading north. on the way back north we wandered along some of the longer peninsulars with ferries back to the mainland. Then around and down to Pula, before heading across into Slovenia and the Julian Alps before going back to Austria and back home.

It was our first long trip taking a couple of months and was fantastic, everyone was helpful and friendly and pleased to see Brits, we even got reduced acsi prices at one site cos we stayed there for a couple of night on the way south and on our return it was then in high season

The scenery on the coast road is fantastic, its a slow road though, miles and miles at 50kph and the odd bit at 70kph

enjoy

alan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 11:13

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Hopefully we will visit Croatia one day before we are too old to travel that far.
On German TV we have been watching Winnitou and Old Shatterhand films for the past 3 nights (only an hour or so each night, I recorded them) the books were written by Karl May and the films were made in Croatia, what wonderful sceenery, thats the part we would like to visit , not the coast, the sea looks the same whereever you are doesn´t it?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:16

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter View Post
We did Croatia in 2010, Calais Luxembourg, Germany Austria, Slovenia and down onto the Croatian Coast. Followed it all the way down with trips up to the National Parks and on to Ploce and then got the ferry across to the peninsula to miss out the Bosnia (?) bit and onto Dubrovnic.

The scenery on the coast road is fantastic, its a slow road though, miles and miles at 50kph and the odd bit at 70kph

enjoy

alan
I am interested in this as this is what we are thinking of for next year. Where does the ferry run to and from, please? What is it like and is it worth it?

Pat
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 13:22

Personal Aire
Hi Pat,

Dubrovnik was worth it, but you've got to avoid the Cruise Ships and their passengers in the city and visit before they arrive or when they've gone back to their ships. The scenery along the coast is stunning, blue, blue sea and sky and white white islands, its unbelievable. Inland the national parks and the waterfalls were great and everywhere was so green compared to the white on the coast.

The issue is avoiding Bosnia, most UK insurers wont insure you for the 20-30 mile strip. So instead get the local ferry about €30 one way, from Ploce to Trpanj (on the Peljesac peninsula which is famous for its red wine). We just turned up and booked in the office. They say they're going to build a bridge instead of the ferry sometime.

Andy Stothert did an article in MMM in late 2009 describing his trip in his distinctive style and we used that as our initial guide. On our way back we went to Loviste at the end of the peninsula, and were welcomed like old friends with beer and the best position by the "beach" for our 5 days there. Looking over the bay, 5 or 6 sailing boats arriving daily, clear warm water for a swim, a couple of small supermarkets shops and several restaurants with the freshest of seafood. on our last night the chef explained what seafood and fish he 'd got, and asked how we would like it cooking. We sat on the edge of the sea watching the sunset over the bay and the far headland, amazing!

When we got back up to Zadar, we headed out along Pag (island/peninsular) and crossed back on the Prizna-Zigljen ferry srrounded by an alien landscape and then north along the coast and eventually down into the Istrian Peninsula. The sites here were much bigger, with echoes of the communist past and workers holidays by the sea.

We used acsi sites almost exclusively and travelled in June/July.

I have a rather long winded diary of the trip, with camp sites, thoughts and the weather but no photos. If you want a copy, send me an email address/pm

alan
blondel and blondel like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page