Croatia....is it worth it ? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 16:02

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
We did a small taste of Croatia at the end of September, we came from Slovenia {which we can't wait to go back to, we went to the cows ball at Lake Bojinska, google it) we went to the island of Krk which has a bridge as well as a ferry, it was a bit hairy on the bridge crossing because there was a wind blowing, they call it the bora and was it blowing! apparently they had to close the bridge a couple of hours later until it had quietened down! We stayed there for a couple of days then headed to a place called Duga Resa which was on our back into Slovenia. It was very cheap and very friendly will be back as Arney might say!

Last edited by chasper; 09-11-2015 at 16:06. Reason: more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 18:25

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Viv & I did northern Croatia 10 yesrs ago, that was great, but we didnlt have time to get down toDubrovnik.
Nowadays the roads are apprently much better, so it should be quicker!

I had a week based in Dubrovnik & Split in June, on an organised tour with my friend Sue, I flew out to join her in Dubrovnik and stayed in Hotels on the peninsula in Dubrovnik and outside Split. It's a lovely area, and we did trips out by coach into Montenegro (Kotor and the inland sea), Krk national park (from Split), and into Bosnia to visit Mostar. As has been said, Dubrovnik city is best seen when there aren't many cruise ships in! There is a good campsite on the peninsula (next door to the hotel we tayed in, and run by the same company) which looks across the new harbour to see how many cruise ships are in! Buses are cheap and run until very late, so you can do the old city at night when the crusie ships have gone. The trip up the cable car to the headland gives an insight ino the geography and the politics of the recent war, and of course the centuries of history behind it! A good musem in the old fort.

For those of you worried about travelling the short bit of the road from Split to Dubrovnik, don't be! It's VERY short - about 15km(?); the road is good, mostly built up - apparently full of Bosnian holidaymakers (it's their only bit of coast!), and there's a duty free shop at the south end although I didn't see many bargains. They wiull take Euros or Kuna there.
Sue spends alot of time out there (she's a tour manager), and loves it. I'm loosely planning a trip next year to drive down to Ancona in Italy and take the ferry across to Split, and head to Dubrovnik and that area and then drive north - via some islands - and thence to Istria and Slovenia and back across Italy or Austria.

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 13:53

Just noticed this thread as we have been away.. So Croatia I/we can say with hand on heart it was the best country we visited on our 12 month away we did a bit back, we travelled there via Hungary on our way down to Greece via Montenegro and Albania..

We wild camped all the way down Croatia as we followed the road that runs down next to the sea, we never had any problems at all and the folk were very friendly, in fact one guy who we ended up wild camping next to invited us round to sample his wine he makes from his own vineyard and very nice it was too.. One part we pulled up at the side of the sea for the night and sat on a rock with our feet in the warm sea and watched the sun go down as a pod of Dolphins swam by..

Would we go again absolutely! but would give Albania a miss and turn into Bosnia, the "Cough" roads in Albania were tooooo challenging, and driving most of it in second and third gear as we went over the mountain passes became tedious even though Albania is amazing.

Croatia, go for it you wont be disappointed.

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 00:29

My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
I've just got back (this afternoon!) from a two month trip that included a few weeks in Croatia. We entered from Slovenia, went to Istria, then onto the islands of Cres and Krk. Ferries were modern and efficent and the low tidal range in the Med means that entry and exit from the ferries was easy - no steep ramps. Then driving down the coast road to Split. Stunning scenery, cheap food and diesel, plenty of campsites and mini camps still open even in October. We caught the ferry back from Split to Ancona in Italy. We were driving a 7.5m 4.25 ton van and had no problems - no need for a go box or similar and motorway tolls were relatively cheap though we preferred the coast road for scenery and interest. I'd recommend it as a destination, we had a great time.
If you want any specific info please get in touch.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 21:03

Hi, we're off to Istria, Cres, Rab and Krk in June. Which currency did you use when you were in these areas please? Janita
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 21:33

We go every year. Year 6 or 7 this year - we also Get insurance for Bosnia and know some good safe stops there too. It's great. Very good value. If you tell me the type of stops you like I can help. The islands are really lovely.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 22:19

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljanita View Post
Hi, we're off to Istria, Cres, Rab and Krk in June. Which currency did you use when you were in these areas please? Janita

We were in Croatia for a couple of weeks in 2014. As we were there for a while we withdrew some Kuna from a hole in the wall. Having said that, we had no problems using Euro as well. Most of the time we were in areas that were used to tourists. If we'd been off the beaten track I don't know whether Euro would have been as readily accepted.

Phil
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:03

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Wildcampingin Croatia

Having read a lot on various forums/sub-forums I am still confused about the legality of wildcaming in a MH. Where there are referebces to wildcamping being prohibited it does not seem to be clear whether this is only in respect of tent cmping or includes MHs. Is there a distinction between camping and parking - no table/chairs etc.?

Ray, in his post above, said they wildcamped with no trouble.

Does anyone have the definitive answer on the legality and any further experience of the practicality of doing it please?

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page