Recommended route to Croatia - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 18:17 Thread Starter

Recommended route to Croatia

Looking at Croatia for next year.What route would you recommend.
We are planning to be away for 2/3 months ,so a leisurely drive would suit us.

Thanks Les

My wife says i dont listen to her...........I think thats what she said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 18:39

We went Calais- Metz-Augsberg-Villach-Karawanken Tunnel-Bled- Llubljana-Postojna-Ankaran-Croatia.

Don't miss out on Slovenia; it's a gorgeous country with really friendly people and so much of interest to see. You'll feel so welcome.

We came back via Slovenia-Kobarid-Venice-Padua- Milan- Lucerne- Basel- Mulhouse-Nancy and to Calais.

If either of these routes attracts then I have a campsite and aires list of places we stayed.

G
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 19:04

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline 510
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
We went Calais- Metz-Augsberg-Villach-Karawanken Tunnel-Bled- Llubljana-Postojna-Ankaran-Croatia.

Don't miss out on Slovenia; it's a gorgeous country with really friendly people and so much of interest to see. You'll feel so welcome.

We came back via Slovenia-Kobarid-Venice-Padua- Milan- Lucerne- Basel- Mulhouse-Nancy and to Calais.

If either of these routes attracts then I have a campsite and aires list of places we stayed.

G
We pretty much did that route. I agree Slovenia is lovely and soooooooo cheap. If you visit our blog, I list the places that we stopped at, many of them free or cheap aires incljding a lovely one at Altenmarkt - 15 euros, toilet and great views

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 19:08

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly

G
We pretty much did that route. I agree Slovenia is lovely and soooooooo cheap. If you visit our blog, I list the places that we stopped at, many of them free or cheap aires incljding a lovely one at Altenmarkt - 15 euros, toilet and great views
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 20:21 Thread Starter

Thanks to you both.
Are there any concerns i should be aware of.
I have driven in France,Spain,Portugal,Germany and found no problems,just a little apprehensive covering new ground.

Les

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 20:34 Thread Starter

Hi Paul
I would appreciate your list of campsites and aires.

Nice blog by the way

Les

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 20:48

Before you go to Croatia take the best map you can find. Don't rely on buying one there. Check that your sat nav, if you use it, has the relevant maps on it as well. Ours did not though we managed but finding our way round in Croatia was not the easiest. People were very helpful but it was clear that many did not know much about places well away from where they lived. This was 2007 though so things might have changed. Shopping was very easy; plenty of good supermarkets and markets. I can't think of any other issues though I believe you now need a vignette for Slovenia.

My Slovenian must-see list would include the Skocjan caves, the WW1 battlefields and museum in Kobarid, all of Llubjana ( a very laid back, civilised little city), Lake Bled and Portoruz and Piran - a real little gem of a place on the coast

In Croatia don't miss Pula and the Roman amphitheatre and remains. We didn't go much for the ex-Soviet style campsites on the coast but, as we only stopped and looked, perhaps that wasn't a fair assessment.

G
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 21:52

My Motorhome: rapido 972m
hi alll , we do croatia everyyear , and stay in slovenia trzic just of the motrway , this campsite is excellent , but unknown , the owner is great , he will cook you a grill in the evening , love the place

http://booking.slovenia.info/sloveni...ookieSupport=1

enjoy gary
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 22:55

Croatia and Slovenia both superb, we've been for the past two years. The first time we came from Venice, through the tiny coastal bit of Slovenia and then down into Istria, returning through Slovenia into Northern Italy, into the Dolomites and back from there.

Last year we spent several weeks in Italy, driving down as far as Bari where we caught the overnight ferry to Dubrovnik, returning up the Adriatic coast, via a bit of island hopping and back essentially the same way through Slovenia.

You'll have no problems, both countries are extremely well organised, roads generally good, fuel dirt cheap, supermarkets and local shops plentiful, and best of all stupendous scenery.

I agree with Grizzly that the huge ex-Soviet campsites are soul-destroying, but they are easily identified by their sheer size and there are plenty of others.

Roger
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 23:40

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestyle
Hi Paul
I would appreciate your list of campsites and aires.

Nice blog by the way

Les
Thanks

The route is here:
http://paulandalisons2012tour.wordpress.com/2013-route/
but it doesn't list the sites and stopovers - I'll need to refer to my 'little book' so give me a couple of days and I'll add those details onto the site. In 2012 we listed every stopover via the 'campsite' link page here but alas that's gone now so I had to be brief on the 2013 trip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page