Map for Croatia - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 16:30 Thread Starter
taz

Map for Croatia

Hi all
Just starting to plan the next big trip and am thinking that it may be Croatia and Slovenia, probably in September.
Can anyone recommend a good detailed map please. We have sat nav but I'm a map girl and can't sit in the passenger seat or plan without one on my lap!
Any tips or hints on places to see would also be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 16:57

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Michelin do excellent fold-out maps - I've used them for years. Available from all good bookshops!

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 16:58

Hi Sally we are doing the same , booked Split Galab & Dubrovnik end of august thru September.

We decided to book campsites with the Car*n Club because wild camping is not allowed in Croatia.

Using a Philips Multiscale Europe Map for the planning:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Mult.../dp/1849072701

Hopefully get us thru Germany to Prague and down via Budapest Zagreb and back via the Italian lakes.

Mid-August thru Early October.

See you there!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 17:02 Thread Starter
taz

Thanks guys
Have the Europe one so will just use that
Cater_racer, where do you race? We also race - saloon cars at Castle Combe
Sally
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz
Thanks guys
Have the Europe one so will just use that
Cater_racer, where do you race? We also race - saloon cars at Castle Combe
Sally
All over Sally

Silverstone 11 th May, Brands Hatch 31st May, Spa 26th June......

I race with Classic Sports Car Club, currently running a Porsche.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 17:15 Thread Starter
taz

Look us up if you come to Combe, as we do all our races there. Had a good weekend - first in class so nice start to season.
Might bump into you in Croatia then...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 17:16

We take a general European road atlas, such as the AA European Road Atlas http://shop.theaa.com/store/shop/aa-...as-europe-2014 and find that that, together with the sat nav, is good for route planning. I'm also like to keep a record of where we've been so also take a road map http://dash4it.co.uk/croatia-sloveni...phia-6474.html to record this on.

So far as destinations - what are you looking for? The coastline is spectacular but we love the islands, Krk and Hvar being our favourites.

Istria, a peninsular in the north of the country, is a good place to start, having plenty of campsites right on the sea plus there are some pretty towns like Porec, Pula, Vrsar and Rovinj.

Further down the coast the Zadar region is less touristy on the coast but has the advantage of 4 regional parks inland, Kornati, Plitvice, Krka and Paklenica, all worth a visit but if I only had to choose one it would be Plitvice - a series of lakes and waterfalls on stunning scenery.

After that you come to Split, a lovely old city with the Diocletian Palace at it's heart, plus this is the jumping off point for some of the most beautiful islands - Hvar, Brac and Viz.

Carrying on down the coast you come to the Dubrovnik. Incredibly touristy but a beautiful city well worth a visit, as is it's islands. You do have to pass through a 'corridor' of Bosnia to drive to it but it's no problem.

Wherever you go don't expect sandy beaches. Most are pebble of rock, or even concrete in some places!

If you do go to Slovenia then most people think that the must sees are Bled and Postijana and they are worth a visit as is he city of Ljubljana which has a convenient campsite on the outskirts. Portorož, on the coast is also a pretty town famous for it's roses, as it's name suggests.

There are plenty of campsites in both places, some of which take ACSI but check on the seasons as they differ from, say, France. Wild camping is not allowed in either country.

This is all very general but if you can let me know what sort of thing interests you then I could probably be more specific. We know the country very well so if you want any info please do get in touch.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 17:27 Thread Starter
taz

Thanks Glasandra.
Very early days in my planning but we are scenery people (and dog). The coast looks amazing but is it also worth travelling inland? We are hoping to leave uk by 1st September and won't need to be home until Xmas - or may even stay out for ski season. So time not an issue, probably more the change in weather.
Will we have any issues with our van as it's 8.5m and over 7 ton?
Will keep you details and prob pm when I am further along if that's ok
Many thanks
Sally
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 19:22

The coast and inland of Croatia are split by a mountain range (not very high). The interior is, on the whole, much less inhabited than the coast and more varied. The north is very similar in look to Austria, the south more eastern european.

The four Regional Parks that I mentioned are inland and well worth visiting for the scenery and walks. As I said if I had to choose one it would be Plitvice.

There ski resorts are in the north/ north east. We've been to Platak above Rijeka but not the others. In fact in March one year we were able to walk in the snow there in the morning, have lunch and then go swimming in the Kvarner Gulf in the afternoon as the weather conditions changed so much as we descended.

I don't know what campsites you'll find open in winter. I should think they will be pretty limited though. Most close around early November. A quick look at ACSI might help.

We have only been by car staying with friends or with a VW camper van so I can't help re issues with the size of your van, though others may be able to. All I can say is that there are plenty of big German and Italian motorhomes there, even on the islands, so it must be possible.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 20:12

Hey up.

All you need do is keep the sea on your right hand side, just follow the coast road all the way down you won't be disappointed, lots of places to stop and wild camp as you go along. No problems at all with wild camping..

One of the best places we went to on our world tour of Europe..

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page