Map for Croatia - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 20:18

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
I normally go with Michelin but this was the best one for me. Good detail. 1:300,000 also shows scenic routes. I am sure you can find a UK priced link elsewhere. This is just for illustration

http://www.amazon.com/Croatia-Sloven.../dp/3829767102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 21:00
hmh

Map for Croatia

One of the nicest things to do is to take the local ferries from peninsula to island and on to other islands and peninsulas . . .

. . . the sea is a fabulous pale aquamarine, the islands are stuffed with history, you can't book the ferries in advance but just have to turn up and pay cash, but they aren't all that expensive . . . all run by Jardolinja Lines.

About the only time you get a free overnight is at the ferry port when waiting for a 6 am ferry.

Otherwise, you really do have to use campsites, they are ex-Communist countries and extremely safe but very law-abiding.

There is one restaurant, with a sign of a Sucking Pig outside, about 2 km before Plitvice lake complex, and they let you park up there if you eat there, and the food is pretty good.

Suggested reading : Rebecca West, "Black Lamb Grey Falcon", written in 1941, about a journey through Yugoslavia just before the war, throws light on the fascinating and cmplex history of the region, extremely readable.

Slovenia is lovely too, quite different, calm and peaceful and old-fashioned, and Ljubljana is gorgeous !

Helen
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 22:49 Thread Starter
taz

Thanks for all the info. Marco Polo map ordered and guide books for Croatia and Slovenia. Hadn't thought of skiing there, was planning to go back to France but now you have mentioned the possibility it gives a bit more food for thought.
Thanks again
Sally

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 22:55

Sally,

You'll have no problems with the size of your 'van.

Roger
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-04-2014, 23:10

Hey up.

I find it very strange how folk say you can't wild camp here there or where ever as it is not allowed as though it is set in granite.

Ok you might get the odd blip where you are moved on in different countries, if that happens you move on but not many miles down the road and no body will bother you..

We have had a year away mostly wild camping, if you are going away for that length of time to go on camp sites especially when you don't particularly need one is going to cost a fortune, in the year away we were moved on maybe 5 times in 18K miles and 22 plus countries, so I take with a pinch of salt advice saying you can't do this, I have been there and I say you can do what you want if you are responsible with how you do it.

ray

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 02:30

It might not be set in granite but it is set in law in Croatia, the law being the Croatian Tourism Act issued by Croatian Ministry of Tourism.

According to the Act camping outside legal campsites is forbidden and you can be fined up to 3000 HRK for doing it. Now it's up to you whether or not you are willing to break the law in your host country, but I felt obliged to point out to someone who is new to the area that wild camping is not allowed. They can then make up their own mind.

Interestingly it is legal to ask a landowner if you can spend a few nights on his/her land. The landowner shouldn't charge you for this as it is considered as kind of 'hospitable gesture’ and Croatians are very hospitable. Sometimes it's just a case of asking and you'll be welcomed.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 10:02

Quote:
Glasandra"]It might not be set in granite but it is set in law in Croatia, the law being the Croatian Tourism Act issued by Croatian Ministry of Tourism.

According to the Act camping outside legal campsites is forbidden and you can be fined up to 3000 HRK for doing it. Now it's up to you whether or not you are willing to break the law in your host country, but I felt obliged to point out to someone who is new to the area that wild camping is not allowed. They can then make up their own mind.

Interestingly it is legal to ask a landowner if you can spend a few nights on his/her land. The landowner shouldn't charge you for this as it is considered as kind of 'hospitable gesture’ and Croatians are very hospitable. Sometimes it's just a case of asking and you'll be welcomed.
Hey up.

You might be surprised they don't get their guns out to shoot you or lock you up, they are very polite and say usually in English, "Sorry you can't stay here".. Say sorry and move on there is always somewhere else to stop they are not out to get you, the impression you seem to be putting over..

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 12:04

I was not trying to put any 'impression' over. Just stating facts.

If people are unaware that they are breaking the law by wild camping might be surprised if spoken to by an armed policeman and asked to move.

And I'm not at all surprised by how you were treated. I've been travelling to Croatia for over 40 years and know them to be very friendly people.As I say if you ask you'll probably be allowed to stay on some's land for a night or two
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 13:41

PS I meant to add that one of the reasons that wild camping is against the law in Croatia is the possibility of someone camping in an area where there are old landmines from the war. These are more likely to be found inland in and in out of the way spots. Total de-mining is not due to end until 2019.

Most of the country is perfectly safe and all tourist areas are but the OPs asked about camping inland and so this was particularly relevant. I didn't want to scaremonger by mentioning it at the outset but as I've been shot down about how safe it is to wildcamp in Croatia I will mention it now. A map of the areas yet to be de-mined is here http://www.hcr.hr/en/minskaSituacijaKarta.asp?ID=1.

The locals generally know where they are and avoid them, but would you?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-04-2014, 14:14

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasandra
It might not be set in granite but it is set in law in Croatia, the law being the Croatian Tourism Act issued by Croatian Ministry of Tourism.

Glasandra

You quote the 'Croatian Tourism Act'. Do you mean the 'Act for the Provision of Tourism Services' passed on 15th June 2007? If so, could you please quote the Article and paragraph which covers wildcamping?

Maybe I have got the wrong Act, as the one I have referred to only seems to put obligations on those providing tourism services.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page