Bari to Durres/Dubrovnik ferry - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-12-2013, 12:04 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autocruise Starburst
Bari to Durres/Dubrovnik ferry

Will be making our way down to Sicily in April then going across to Bari to get ferry, intending to visit Dubrovnik and Montenegro. Has anybody recent experience using the ferry Bari/Durres or Bari/Dubrovnik ie. would it be preferable to pre-book either or just turn up and hope for space
cheers
Clyde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-12-2013, 12:11
hmh

Bari to Durres/Dubrovnik ferry

Hi,

We turned up in May 2008 for the ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik, having been assured over the phone that there was plenty of space, no need to book.

Half the queue at the ticket office abandoned the idea as there were no cabins left, we took our chances and slept on benches in the bar on the overnight crossing.

The bar stayed open all night, so the lights were never dimmed; it was quiet ( apart from a chap with a horrible cough ), but not what we would reckon to do at our age normally.

Helen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-12-2013, 12:52

We used the Bari Dubrovnik crossing in early June this year. There was plenty of space on the vehicle deck, but cabin space was at a premium. In addition, there were several noisy groups of students on board and I would not have wanted to spend the night in the bar areas.

We were on the 'Dubrovnik' which is an elderly, but clean and efficiently run vessel. We enjoyed the crossing and would do it again. In your position, I would book in advance via the Jadrolinija website.

Roger

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:07

Croatia touring

We're planning to do the same trip. In Spain currently and taking the ferry from Barcelona to Civitavechia as the road trip across to Italy is really tiresome and expensive.
Have read the forums about the crossing from Bari to Bar and it sounds as if some people have had a rotten experience. We can put up with most things, but dirty beds NO !
Has anyone had recent experience of Montenegro Lines ferries please ?
Jacqueline
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:27

if you are entering Montenegro make sure your insurance States you have cover...... Most insurance policy's cover EU countries only...

If you are turning left into Croatia you will be OK, but if you are turning right into Albania, once more you will have to have that country put on your insurance.. Insurance can be bought at the border for the length of stay you are in the country..... At a price!..

Both countries are ok to visit but interesting to drive through.. Make sure your wheels are well nailed on the non roads are well, non roads...

Ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 16:43

Croatia touring

Thanks Ray for the advice which is very helpful. We'll certainly bear in mind the insurance issues.
We're towing a Smart car with our motorhome. Any further advice welcome, especially about Albania.
Jacqueline
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 17:15
hmh

Bari to Durres/Dubrovnik

Look on Magbaz website, at their trips and fellow travellers.

They have been across Albania in a v big mh , Don Madge also no doubt.

Can't investigate further as our tablet is playing silly b's but we took a ferry to Vlore, Albania from Italy, on our way to Greece and Turkey in early Jan 2012, and wrote it all up on Magbaz website.
Perfectly OK ferry, a bit old, but bed linen etc clean and so on.

Nice road from Vlore down to Igoumenitsa, they call it the Albanian Riviera, there is a good archeo site near the Greek border, which we failed to see as it was raining cats and dogs. You go over on a tiny ferry, and we parked by the archeo site overnight. Lovely place.
The Albanian language is fairly close to French I think, certainly the signs were much easier to understand than Greek ones.

Helen
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 17:25

Croatia touring

Thank you Helen for your very helpful reply.
Jacqueline
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:12

If you are towing a car is it on a trailer or a frame?, not in a legal way but in squeezing it on the ferry way... They do cram you in and the space to shuffle in to position is quite challenging, and the guys guiding you in are short on patience.
If you are on an a frame it might be better to disconnect as a lot of reversing is needed as you squeeze in to position..

As far as towing in Albania I think it might be a challenge, I put into the Tom tom do not use toll roads which took us through the mountains, where I would definitely would have not liked to be towing anything.. The other problem was the TomTom map was very sketchy on roads, so going off route soon ended up with no roads shown on the TomTom..

There are other roads I presume which are Ok if you are towing, the big road into Greece alternates between Tarmac and road stone with enormous pot holes, with a drop of a good six inches when the Tarmac stopped and the road stone began, We was ok in our tag axel Hymer as we have a large ground clearance, but I could see vans that are low clearance might have trouble.

Ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 20:28

Croatia touring

Thank you very much Ray. Your info is very helpful. We are towing a Smart on a Brian James Smart trailer but I think we're going to give Albania a miss this tour and turn left at Bar in Montenegro.
Your help is much appreciated.
Jacqueline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page