Auschwitz visit - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 18-03-2008, 15:06

We stayed at the Centre for Prayer & Dialogue and it was good, showers, toilets and electricity. Not sure though whether you need to book as we had gone with others and it had been arranged for us.

It is an easy walk from there to Auschwitz. There are some shops not far from Auschwitz with a cafe and internet access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 18-03-2008, 15:07

My Motorhome: Carthago C - Tourer T 150
Personal Aire
If you are in the Krakow area then a visit to the Wieliczka Salt Mines is well worth it. You will still stand and stare but in amazement, not in shock and horror as at Auschwitz.
Colin
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-08-2008, 02:01

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
Wow!! - just stumbled on this thread.

We are planning a trip with the Harleys to Finland and St Pietersburg next year - Looks like we will need to make a diversion...

Thanks all - for your input.

Cheers

Dave

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 20-08-2008, 16:02

When you visit, try and see some birds in the compounds, or listen for bird song.

I didnt see or hear a single thing when I visited.

It was almost as if even Mother Nature repelled against the things Human can do to each other.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-01-2009, 11:42

Location: Brimington, Chesterfield, Derbyshire and Acharavi, Greece
Hi All, What can I say, We set off for a visit to Auschwitz etc on 2nd June this year and we intend to stay there a good few days, I have always wanted to visit there but not for curiosity, I basically want to say in person how sorry I am that these things happened and how we let them happen in a small way, I travel every year across and around Europe as I am one of the fortunate ones, I have retired, I have a motorhome, and I have a good pension But most of all I am fairly fit and fairly healthy, I think it is VERY important that we don't forget and that we also ensure our children don't forget.
I think my first enlightening on the horrors and vastness of what happened in the world wars was when we visited Ypres, My god I have never in my whole life seen so many people brought to tears in such a small place and so quickly.
I lost an uncle in the war and because of the difficulties of travel in those days and much later of course no member of our family has visited his grave, in fact no-one knew where he was, Well towards the end of last year I was determined to find his resting place, I did and I was very surprised how easy it was, I discovered that he is at Naples war cemetery
and we are also going there, I am not Jewish but I think that they have a fantastic tradition where they just leave a small stone at the grave etc just to say "I was here".
I think the comments on this Auschwitz topic are fantastic, I in fact was almost in tears reading some of them and when I go there in June rest assured I am taking a few stones with me from my home.

Les
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-01-2009, 12:42

Send a message via MSN to kazzzy
On a similar note if you travel to southern Germany there is also Dachau Concertration camp memorial site (just west of Munich) Dachau was the "model" for the German concerntration camp system and was the first one to be constructed, it is also a very harrowing and sobering experience to visit there.
I have been a couple of times now as the company I work for has a base just outside Munich, and even after the 2 visits I have I still cant comprehend what happened there. Again not sure I could "recommend it" as thats problably the wrong way to put it.
Auschwitz is on my list of places to visit in the future as well when I have the opportunity to do so.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-01-2009, 13:04

My Motorhome: Hymer B 694 Sl
We went in oct,Make sure you go via Gorlitz as the road east from Forst is very very bad but it is good going west into forst.You cannot get L.PG in eastern Germany near the border ,no problem in Poland 300 yards across the border from gorlitz you can exchange € for zloty and get L.PG.
Stelplatx in main carpark at Gorlitz €5 per 24hrs,electric loo waste but nothing else.Have a look around Gorlitz it is very nice.

Cheap no good
Good no cheap

Link to my aires videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgi...8_xjbNfhRo1kgg
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-01-2009, 15:41

My Motorhome: Autotrail Arapaho
we to visited Auschwitz a few years ago. If you are anywhere near this area it is well worth a visit. I would recommend the guided tour as they tell you everything. Yes it is moving,but it is very true.
We also visited Colditz castle, also worth a visit. We found it hard to believe those prisoners tunnelled as they did, but some aspects of the tour we found quite funny.
Frank & Jan
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-01-2009, 16:02

My Motorhome: Dethlefs espirit
Personal Aire
i'm going to auschwitz on the 8th june something thats been on my mind for years, we only have two weeks, if some one can point me in the right direction, ie ; route, things to see on the way, i've never been across the the channel before in my motorhome so looking forward to it, and also is two weeks ok for this trip? and will i have enough time to see the normandy beaches. dennis
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 21-01-2009, 16:06

My Motorhome: Dethlefs espirit
Personal Aire
also forgot to say, if any one else wants to go, about this time perhaps we can meet up, or form a wagon train. dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page