Wild Poland - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 13:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Wild Poland

We Left home on Tuesday morning 14/06/2016 and drove to a small place called Lugi near Dobiegniew.
Stopped for a late lunch (in the van) at a lake car park. After we had finished lunch a man drove up and asked in sign language and about 3 German words, if we would like to stay the night.
To cut a long story short, there was a proper stellplatz behind a fence, it would take at least 25 vans, but was only used for special events, it was village council owned, we couldn´t understand why it was only used occasionally as nobody spoke English only one chap spoke limited German. We stopped next to the toilet and shower. I asked the next day before we left how much, nothing was the answer (in sign language).
Wednesday was a **** day, I didn´t know there were so many big towns and cities up this end of Poland, the traffic was horrendous, the roads some good some terrible. We could not find a decent place to stop and then I backed into a grass verge and damaged the bottom plastic of the van, Hans has tapped it up and we will get it repaired when we are home. Wednesday night we spent at the petrol station where Hans found ductape to do the repair. Staying their was the worse thing we could have done, not so much noise from vehicles, but youngsters who were at the Imbis/cafe which seemed to be open all night. Thursday we drove towards Olsztyn another horrendous journey, they are building a motorway next to the 16 road and we were driving most of the way between 50-70 km 30-45 mph.
Continuing to Jeziorany a name Hans remembered his Mother talking about, he spent some time here with her during the war, away from the bombing in the west, her uncle had a farm in a village nearby. He went to the information buro and the young woman spoke good English, she spent about an hour showing him maps and giving him information. Also told him a place for us to stay near a lake. Finding the place was another adventure, driving along dirt roads for miles. It is not possible to park near the lake, but we saw a man who is building a house which is almost finished, he invited us to stay in his garden (all done in sign language). At 5pm we had a visitor, the man next door had telephoned this person because he speaks German, we were invited into the house along with 3 neighbour`s, for coffee and then found out the chap who speaks German is a RC priest. We spent an hour together and we can stay here as long as we want.
The pictures I have just taken, but it doesn´t portray just how lovely it is here. Shade swam in the lake, a little safe corner nature had created for him.
So what started as a good holiday then almost became a disaster looks as if it will now start to be enjoyable again.
The Poles are so hospitable, although we can´t understand what is being said, they still gabble away to us, the next door neighbour has chickens, we have already bought 6 eggs so probably have an an egg for breakfast tomorrow.
Friday 17th.
Today we were invited for lunch along with the neighbours and the priest, chicken and spring vegetable home mad soup created by our host, it was perfect, even had enough salt in. At lunch we were told there was a big storm heading this way so in the afternoon Hans helped Antonio our host, along with a neighbour to make the front of his unfinished house safer against the storm.
last night, oh what a night it was, the van rocked as it never has before and I din´t enjoy it at all. It was very scary to me at times, I thought it would blow over, but we survived.
We will have to stay here until Monday because the roads all around will be closed tomorrom from 9 am until 5 pm for a car rally.
Pictures of where we stand, the type of roads we drove over to get here and our neighbours the chickens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 028 (1024x768).jpg (374.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 026 (1024x768).jpg (423.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (645.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (856.4 KB, 35 views)

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 13:45

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
...... and it's good to see that you're back on the forum again! Well done!

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 15:00
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
We are looking forward to visiting Poland in July too

We are heading from Berlin across to Krakow. From then we move into the Czech Republic. Unfortunately we cannot visit Auschwitz as it is International Youth Week when we are in the area so it is shut to normal punters. We wanted to pay our respects.

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 15:16

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Jan just a word of assistance, if you find yourself in very strong winds, park the van so you are pointing directly in to the direction the wind is coming from.
It won't stop the van being rocked around completely but will make sure you won't be blown over.

John
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 16:03
GMJ

Personal Aire
...and Jan: if you and Hans come across any good, dark Polish beers let me know the brand for when I go beer shopping, if you could?

ta

Graham

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 02:02

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Enjoyed your write up,thank you!
How long are you away for?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 11:25 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Part 2

This was not just strong wind, it blew huge branches off the tree´s. 110 kmph.
The van was heading into the wind, but when the gusts came it really rocked us.
Yesterday was a lovely day, with a strong breeze to keep us cool, jus how we like it.
The picture is of the church Hans was taken too by horse and cart when he was here as an infant, he didn´t remember anything of the church, but did remember that in the snow the horses pulled them on the sledge and they were wrapped in furs.
A little restaurant in the town serves a variety of food, the manager speaks good German so translated the menu for us, 2 chicken schnitsel, egg, salad and chips, a large beer (sorry Graham we only drink light beer not dark so can´t help) sparkling water and the bill came to ----41.50 PLN Polish slotties thats not 10 € (exchange rate 11/06/201 4.35 = 1€)
Antonio our host comes from Warsaw, yesteday 3 friends arrived from there, we had a very happy evening with them, 2 spoke passable English, we had fish from the lake caught by the neighbour Bogdan who´s work is controlling 43 lakes in this area, he was also at the gathering. I don´t know how many bottles of Vodka were drunk, but we all went to bed tired and happy just after dark.
At 5 am this morning I was woken by a humming noise, found out at 9am it was a tractor cutting a hay field behind the house. These fields are absolutely gigantic, we thought German fields were big, but these fields seem to have no end to them.
Shade had another little swim in the lake, unfortunately cut short because there were a lot of bee´s who had come for a drink while we were there.
Sometime today Bogdon is going to take Hans to the village we came here to find, its along a dirt road and I do not want to take the Navajo, I think its being shaken up enough coming in and out of this road.
Pardner
In this part of Poland there are rolling hills, very beautiful, mountains one can also find in Polad if you want them .
I will answer the other questions later, the Priest has just arrived (nothing is spoken about religion though) Hans´s lift has also arrived, I must say hello and hopefully get a photo of us all. Also the church photo later.
Jan

I'm Jan
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 12:16 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
We never know how long we´ll be away Jo, until I am home sick usually which mostly doesn´t take too long.
Graham your Auschwitz trip, Hans says if it was us he would just go, say you didn´t know it was closed, you are a school teacher after all and these people are so friendly and helpful I bet they won´t turn you away. Czech Republic is a lovely country, we were there in May this year for the third time.
My answer to tugboat was from he other forum, sorry, getting muddled in my old age
Hans has been to the village, nothing there of interest, the farm has gone its just fields now.
I am going to try putting the photo´s on, if it doesn´t work I´ll wait till we are home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (1024x768).jpg (500.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 004 (1024x768).jpg (500.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (455.4 KB, 13 views)

I'm Jan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanHank For This Useful Post:
GMJ (19-06-2016), jo662 (19-06-2016)
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 12:22
GMJ

Personal Aire
Thanks Jan

I think we will go there anyway just to pay our respects even if we cannot enter, so you never know...

Graham

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 12:37

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
We never know how long we´ll be away Jo, until I am home sick usually which mostly doesn´t take too long.
Graham your Auschwitz trip, Hans says if it was us he would just go, say you didn´t know it was closed, you are a school teacher after all and these people are so friendly and helpful I bet they won´t turn you away. Czech Republic is a lovely country, we were there in May this year for the third time.
My answer to tugboat was from he other forum, sorry, getting muddled in my old age
Hans has been to the village, nothing there of interest, the farm has gone its just fields now.
I am going to try putting the photo´s on, if it doesn´t work I´ll wait till we are home.
Well I hope you can be away as long as possible then Jan,good luck!

And keep the thread going please,enjoying it!
tugboat and tugboat like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page