Poland campsites please - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota
Poland campsites please

Any recommendations for campsites in the following areas:

Masurian Lakeland

Slowinski Sand Dunes

Wieliczka Salt Mine, Krakow

Gdansk Old Town

Bialowieza Forest

Tatra Mountains

Thanks,

Jed

Adapt to change quickly. The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy NEW CHEESE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:25

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Jed

I think I am the ony MHF member actually in Poland and I am no help because we always wild camp, which is very easy in Poland.

Maybe some people who have toured here will be along, although some I know who have visited have also been wildcampers mainly.

There are only smaller/older MHs in Poland - I have never seen a Polish 'A' Class. I do not know the length of your Dakota, but if necessary you may want to check pitch sizes at Polish sites

Geoff
jedi, jedi, TheNomad and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 Thread Starter

Thanks, Geoff,

Like to wild camp myself but always a little unsure in a new country at first. Any info on good spots? I'll keep my eyes open for others parked up.

My van is 7.6m / 4.25 tonnes. So will need to check campsites.

Also got to get my head around the toll system. Take it that over 3.5 tonnes I'm classed as a lorry?

Jed

Adapt to change quickly. The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy NEW CHEESE.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:26

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Hi Jed,

I had this bookmarked from a few years ago, might be of use...

http://camperpark.pl/main.php?lang=en&country=1&type=1

Haven't checked it properly but think its a mix of overnight places and campsites.

Pete
jedi, jedi, witzend and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 Thread Starter

Thanks Pete,

That looks like an excellent resource.

Jed

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:46

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Jed

I think I am the ony MHF member actually in Poland and I am no help because we always wild camp, which is very easy in Poland.

Maybe some people who have toured here will be along, although some I know who have visited have also been wildcampers mainly.

There are only smaller/older MHs in Poland - I have never seen a Polish 'A' Class. I do not know the length of your Dakota, but if necessary you may want to check pitch sizes at Polish sites

Geoff
I'll be watching this thread with interest.

When you wild camp in Poland, where do you obtain fresh water from please? My imagination ends at garages and cemeteries, or visit campsites every few days.

Also, where do you prefer to dump the loo waste please?

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Thanks, Geoff,

Like to wild camp myself but always a little unsure in a new country at first. Any info on good spots? I'll keep my eyes open for others parked up.

My van is 7.6m / 4.25 tonnes. So will need to check campsites.

Also got to get my head around the toll system. Take it that over 3.5 tonnes I'm classed as a lorry?

Jed
Jed

We think this is a great country for wildcampers, as is Slowakia - at least the West side. There are no signs against it, no height barriers(actually not many official CPs - people just pull off the road - not many fences). I believe that, in common with most ex-Communist countries, there still exists law against wildcamping but it is totally ignored by MHs, Caravans and many, many tent campers - they just have not repealed the law. However I would not wildcamp near a military installation (not many)

As for looking for other MHs wildcamping? forget it - you will hardly see any on the road. When we wildcamp in a sort of popular area, e.g. like a sports lake/resevoir we are more likely to have car/tent campers with boats,canoes etc as neighbours and spread out a bit with BBQs and guitars etc.

Normally we are on our own.

One time it was late and we were on a narrow country lane, found a pull-off leaing to a building site, checked with house opposite whether OK - answer not sure if builders there tomorrow, so invited to park on their lane/drive as they were not going out till 1000. Certainly never even had a scowl from a local.

If you might be near Katowice send me a PM well before and maybe we can meet - plenty parking, water tap, EHU, all in our yard and S/Market opposite.

Geoff
zoro, zoro, jedi and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 14:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
If you might be near Katowice send me a PM well before and maybe we can meet - plenty parking, water tap, EHU, all in our yard and S/Market opposite.
Geoff
May well take you up on that offer, Geoff.

Thanks,

Jed

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
I'll be watching this thread with interest.

When you wild camp in Poland, where do you obtain fresh water from please? My imagination ends at garages and cemeteries, or visit campsites every few days.

Also, where do you prefer to dump the loo waste please?
John

Sorry I missed your post above on here so understand why you PMed me with same.

Unfortunately although we live here we never have had to face the problem of water nor dump. If in Poland it is usually for a long w/e and if we are away for longer it is usually South to Slovakia(100km) or West on M/Way to Germany/France/UK.

Since we exclusively wild-camp we carry a spare cassette(we might even get a third) - usually last a week for two of us, providing the male can find a hedge(s)

Learn to know which S/Markets have Customers toilets(Lidl, Aldi, LeClerc do not. Tesco do in UK but not sure in Poland) - just to save cassette, not for emptying.

Motorway Service Stations in Poland (about 50%) have toilet dump grids for the coaches/buses. There is a symbol on the motorway signs when approaching, says BUS and a symbol. It is well-signed on the S/S area. I am not sure if there is water there - sorry never looked.

Of course, some people advocate having done the Boy Scout 'Latrine' badge - the badge is probably a shovel. There are lots of forests in Poland and many tent wildcampers - but I have never asked them

Sorry that on this subject I am of limited help. However if near us Katowice) we have big yard, EHU, grey water drain and a basement toilet for cassette. But please not 10 MHs at once

One or two other tips.

Diesel(off-M/Way) is today £0,80/lt - much cheaper than Germany and Slovakia but do not know Czech price. S/Markets do not have their own brand. Shell seems as cheap as anywhere - BP not.

Food is about 20% less than UK. Booze is also cheaper especially at pub prices - there is one bar by a lake where a 5% lager is £1 for 1/2 lt draught.

Any other info that any of you want other info please ask.

Geoff

Last edited by nicholsong; 07-03-2015 at 13:39.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 19:27

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Geoff,

Thank you for your really helpful reply, and clicking a 'Like' simply doesn't seem enough for everything you've written.

I don't have a large enough van to carry multiple toilet cassettes and so may have to be creative. We lived in Jamaica in the 70s and hired a lovely cottage high up in the Blue Mountains, surrounded by pretty hydrangeas. We couldn't find the toilet when we arrived, and the problem was solved when I saw the entrenching tool at the back door (no pun intended.)

There is so much to see and do in Poland, and I have been helped by a Polish friend who's family originally came from the south east (in what is now Ukraine.) She highly recommends the Cicerone walking guide to the High Tatras. I'll print off your post and staple it together with her info.

Don't worry, I would't dream of turning up without permission.

Thank you again ................. What a great Forum this is!!!

ps. A passion of mine is music. One LP I converted to iTunes is 'Popular Music from Poland' recorded in 1966. It's first track is an oberek called "Basia."
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page