Auschwitz - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-01-2014, 13:39

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
We stayed here 3 years ago, very quiet and safe. Just down the road from the main site.

http:/www.cdim.pl/en/oferta/camping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-01-2014, 14:15

Not sure what others think of Auschwitz, but prior to visiting I went to Drachau near Munich. It was shocking enough on it's own, but it didn't prepare me for was was in store at Auschwitz Birkenau. This was extermination on a massive scale.

I think by visiting one of the smaller camps first, it really emphasises the size of Auschwitz Birkenau.

Might be a good idea to watch "Schindlers List" before you go or in the MH, then visit the factory in Krakow.

Regards,

Zozzer
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-01-2014, 22:02

My Motorhome: Autoquest 140
Auschwitz

My son visited Auschwitz in 2012 in his Sootyvan (Bedford Bambi) and made some notes on his trip.

http://www.sootyvan.com/travel/trave...2/europe-blog/

The blog is a bit lengthy - scroll down to Days 6 & 7 which cover the relevant bits about Auschwitz.

Norman

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-01-2014, 22:24

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
MrsW's paternal grandparents were victims of the holocaust and sadly, ended their days at Auschwitz.

He (paternal grandfather) was a VERY senior Doctor in Berlin, they were taken from their house and compelled to live with others in small flats in different parts of Berlin before being taken to the "showcamp" at Theresienstadt where they were interned for two years before being moved to Auschwitz-Birkenau where they were slaughtered in 1944.

Our youngest daughter has visited there and was overcome with emotion but found it a very moving experience and one that she wished the remainder of the family would undertake.

She was also with us in Berlin when two "stolper-stein" were unveiled outside the last house they freely occupied. These brass plagues are set in the pavement at the German Government's expense - so far more than 20,000 have been installed in various countries. We were present for the installation and it was very moving with about 50 local residents gathered around.

We went back to the site the following year and the plagues are immaculate - cared for on a daily basis by the local school-children - his life is also celebrated in a local care home with a wing named after him and his picture proudly displayed.

He fought in the First World War, was decorated and commended for his actions, and then persecuted and killed 26 years later........ We still have his medals and all the letters he sent to his wife at the time. His three children escaped from Germany in 1938 thanks to the work done by Archbishop Bell.

My point in posting this is simply so that others can realise that the horrors committed there are real and still have a marked effect on those alive today.

So, yes, a visit for us is also on the cards, I will note these details, but we may well fly......

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolper_stein_137.jpg (476.4 KB, 2 views)

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-01-2014, 22:29 Thread Starter

M

Thanks penquin uve made my mind up i am going cheers m8
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 07:33

Send a message via MSN to Rapide561
Poland

We went in 1994 by coach. The tour included a visit to the camps but very few people on the coach joined the tour. I am "glad" I went and we had a fantastic guide. It's not somewhere I would probably want to revisit though, but to see what went on, rooms full of human hair and so on, it was almost unbelievable.

We were there in June - it was VERY hot.

Russell
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 08:19

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 745
My son feels very strongly about the place and, as a photographer, wanted to tell a story of the place for those who can't get there. His result is here:

http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=445628

For any pro phot's out there he was given the John Goodrin award for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page