Highway Robbery in Poland - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 12:26

We (two Autotrails - one a Mohawk the other a Comanche) have just returned from Poland. We were there in May this year for ten days and travelled to Poznan, Auschwitz, Krakow, Zakopane on motorways and other main roads.

At Poznan there was three other Autotrails (all of a similar size)who on leaving Poznan headed north and east in Poland so between us we covered a lot of the country.

We investigated before we set off and were ready to pay tolls or for a box - whichever was needed.

We paid the tolls (which were very reasonable) and not once were challenged about having a box and so paid the tolls accordingly.

European countires do charge tolls or require larger vehicles to have boxes - and we all know that. There is lots if information available (particularly on this site and others which may not be the official source but gives a good idea of what is needed).

I agree the costs incurred were excessive and some degree of leniency could have been shown but just because a country decides to charge tolls or require a box don't let it out you off going to Poland.

Poland is a lovely country, very reasonable cost of living and the people we met were great - we would recommend it to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 12:45

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloboy

Poland is a lovely country, very reasonable cost of living and the people we met were great - we would recommend it to anyone.
Absolutely agree. We have been the last two years, i think that the only negative for me last year was the amount of speed camera's , every village seemed to have one.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner
This is the only information on the Polish Tourism site.

http://www.poland.travel/en-gb/trave...-and-motorways

It's not exactly very informative.

I've copied a link to this topic to that site.

It will be interesting to read any reply.
That Polish Tourism site is totally inadequate.

The full information is available at

http://www.viatoll.pl/en/heavy-vehic...from-july-2012
Well is that not totally unacceptable?

Prospective visitors tend to do their research at the official tourist board sites, rightly expecting to be able to get all their information there - and why shouldn't they?

If you check the link in my post there isn't even a link to the site you quote - Why Not? it could so easily provide the information needed.

I don't think anyone has moaned about the tolls or the level of them BUT they have complained about the severity with which they were enforced and the (apparent) lack of adequate signage.

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 13:35

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloboy
I agree the costs incurred were excessive and some degree of leniency could have been shown but just because a country decides to charge tolls or require a box don't let it out you off going to Poland.
But with such a draconian response from the authorities to what happened it is very unlikely that many people will want to visit the country since it would be difficult to be aware of what other rules / laws / changes have occurred and have not been announced....

IMO the treatment they dished out was excessive to say the least and that action, and that action alone, makes that country one that I would not wish to drive in.......

Yes, we all know that tolls are levied - but they must be clearly signed and obvious, they must also be transparently visible from outside at the planning stage - the tolls imposed there are NOT readily found......

I will avoid Poland for those reasons however nice it may be............

Dave

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by apxc15
There were no tolls in 2010 when I did the tour.

I was thinking of going again, but not now.

Pete

Well there were tolls in 2009 when we travelled down the A4 to visit Krakow and the Auschwitz memorial at Oswiecim.

They two toll booths, one Krakow by the side of the airport, and the up at Myslowice.

I believe there have been more toll booth ( Platna) added since I last went in 2011. They seem to be adding them in stages.

As for those with vans over 3500Kgs I'm unable to find any more info.

Regards,

Zozzer
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 13:44

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/5399

http://roadpricing.blogspot.co.uk/20...onal-toll.html

(Just click off the login when it appears.)

Regards,

Zozzer
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 15:54 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay
That's very shabby treatment by the authorities to a visitor and the fines were well over the top, but as experienced motorhomers I would have thought they would be used to doing a bit of research before visiting or revisiting a country.

I posted on here about the tolls in July 2011, so the information has been out there on the internet for some time.

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopti...ll-system.html

Pete
Hi pete,

I agree the fines were a bit steep.

One can get complacent at times, in Turkey they changed the toll collect system in January this year. I got caught out with my old card. I had just about enough left on the card to get from Aydin to Izmir on our last trip home.

When I realised the system had changed I did a naughty and drove through. It was a Sunday afternoon and it was very quiet. A siren went off and I thought sod it they will have me at the border.

I kept my old card just incase but nothing happened at the border.

Not missing the van at all I thought I might get withdrawal symptons but nothing as yet.

Don
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 23:07

My Motorhome: Hobby Optima Premium T70GE
After reading this Poland is definitely off my list of countries to visit.
My van is 4.500kg and the engine is not Euro5.
I have no problem in paying tolls. At the end of May we were in the middle of the Pyrenees and it was raining cats and dogs and the forecast was bad for days across France. The only place with sunshine was Provence, so we hit the motorways and paid 33Euro to get to Port Grimaud near St Tropez where we stayed for a week unplanned. Simples.
When we visited Switzerland last year it was not a problem. Just download the form and pay for the number of days at the border and we were out of the office in 3 minutes with form stamped. Easy to pay for extra days at about 3SF per day I think. Simples
Now when I read about Austria and their GO BOXES and the cost of crossing Austria, and the minimum top up of 75Euro and the problems with documentation for engine emissions I can readily give that country a miss too.
I dont need that crap in my life.
If enough people complain and if it is brought to the attention of the Polish Tourism Authority then perhaps they will take note. I think it is too late for them to simplify their system because of the amount of money invested in it.
Similarly with Portugal. I hired a car in Faro mid morning on a Saturday in late October and travelled on the motorway for a 50minute journey to Alvor and a total of 7 cars passed me on the journey. There are 5 toll charges on that stretch of motorway since last year with a complicated system for visitors who dont have an electronic tag on their vehicle. Most of the traffic has moved off the motorway on to the N125 where the accident rate has shot up. It would be very interesting to see some statistics on the Portugal experience.
I didnt mean to rabbit on like this so I better stop and cool down with a beer.
Ian
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 23-06-2013, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTPCHEMICALS
I know I have to pay tolls in France, a vignette in Switserland , so why say I am not going to visit a country that imposes them.
Dave p
it's not because they have a system of Go boxes that puts me off visiting a country I agree it is the persons responsibiity, but it can be confusing

It's the to me excessive level of fine imposed on a tourist for what was a mistake and the heavy handed method of collecting it that puts me off ever visiting

Aldra
I certain can't recall any Polish carrot packer in the Fens ever having been treated anything like that and they have been known to commit the odd traffic offence or ten.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by apxc15
There were no tolls in 2010 when I did the tour.

I was thinking of going again, but not now.

Pete

Well there were tolls in 2009 when we travelled down the A4 to visit Krakow and the Auschwitz memorial at Oswiecim.

They two toll booths, one Krakow by the side of the airport, and the up at Myslowice.

I believe there have been more toll booth ( Platna) added since I last went in 2011. They seem to be adding them in stages.

As for those with vans over 3500Kgs I'm unable to find any more
info.
I did Krakow, Warsaw and Posnan in August 2010 and didn't see any toll booths or hear of any toll roads.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page