Ferries to Turkey info wanted. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 12:54 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Ferries to Turkey info wanted.

Hi Y'all.
I'm now looking into driving to Izmir Turkey next year 2019.
I did look at this possibly a year or so ago when we had the motorhome but never progressed as ferries from Italy to Turkey were few and far between.
But now I fancy driving as flying is not a pain to me. I like the idea of freedom to meander or press on and not have any timed commitments.

So with this in mind the first step is finding a possible ferry thats still operating from lower Italy that goes to western Turkey.??

Any info or contacts would be much appreciated.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 20:15

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I like the idea of freedom to meander or press on and not have any timed commitments.

Ray.
Shoulda kept the MH Ray!

Jean
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 21:20 Thread Starter

I gotta Sat Nav Jean. Might just drive till I'm tired and tap B&B.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 08:39

We were looking into this a few years ago, too, Ray. Flying not an option with the dog. Must admit we gave up on it in the end. Would have liked to have gone on to Cyprus.

I think Don Madge is the Guru on this but even he gave up on driving there in the end.
raynipper likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 08:49 Thread Starter

Yes it's a complex idea Pat.
All I can find are ferries from Italy that drop off in Greece and or the Greek islands. So all ferry crossings to Turkey would have at least one and usually two island drop offs.
As I remember Don drove all the way as he took six months or more in Turkey. I will be seeing him soon in The Algarve when we meet up to dine and will broach the subject in Jan.2019.

If all else fails I guess driving round via Bulgaria might not be too bad although it's 3,500 km. from here to my sons place in Kusadsi.

Ray.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 08:54

We are in the Almeria region of Spain this winter. Must give some thought to a trip to Portugal to join up with you and Don
raynipper likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 08:58 Thread Starter

I really have gone off flying for many reasons and not fear or pets.
To fly from the UK involves the costly ferry and having to visit everyone in south of England for at least a week both ways. Then you are scheduled and I feel under stress just getting too and on the blooming plane. The cramped conditions on board I don't enjoy now and soon after arriving I get stressed about the return trip. I really don't want to subject myself to all that.

Ray.
patp and Pudsey_Bear like this.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 09:09

That's exactly how I feel, too, Ray. We could board the dog out and fly off somewhere for a break but I just hate airports and airplanes! My brother is always pestering us to visit the States to see him. To that trip you have to add jet lag and I really suffer from that. We did look into sailing there once but gave up in the end.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 09:11

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Ray

From my knowledge there are no ferries from Italy direct to Turkey.

The only practical way would be to take a ferry from Italy to Greece, either to Igounomitsa and drive through the north of Greece to Turkey, or to Patras - drive to Athens and take a ferry to Chios and another from Chios to Cesme, or ferry to Samos and another to Kusadasi. Those last ferries to Turkey are usually Turkish vessels and quite small and are quite expensive for the distance.

'peejay' (member on here) is an expert on Greek ferries as he has used them many times.

Geoff
raynipper likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 09:24 Thread Starter

Thanks Geoff. Thats just what I have seen when searching ferries to Turkey online. We have been putting off driving to Turkey for some years as it's just too complex. But as time goes on and roads and sat navs get better maybe it is now time.
I am really bending to my sons demands for us to go visit again. It's a few years now since we flew to his house and it was all too short. We do meet up now and again in UK and they are the few times I also actually make the time and effort to get to England.

Ray.
nicholsong likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page