Turkey / Greece / Italy - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 20:40 Thread Starter

Turkey / Greece / Italy

Well tonight we (Kath & I) have decided that we would like to go on a long tour to Turkey. (Holiday of a lifetime) Via Italy, possibly Sicily as we would be near, then catch a camp on board ferry to Greece.
We have driven to Turkey many years ago and we went via Yugo and we tented all of the way. It was fantastic We don't tend to plan too much, we just get on and do it
I am an ex International Trucker, therefore, I am quite used to taking things as they come
Any advice from experienced travellers would be welcome, and if anybody would like to join us, they would be very welcome, but it would be a condition that we would not be in each others pockets. Maybe some time alone and meet up further down the road. Nothing cast in stone, but be there for each other.
On the other hand, we are quite happy to do it on our own
I think the reason we are seriously considering this, is because we have motorhomed for about 10 years, and much wilding. I have International trucked for more years and we are bored and want something different.
After this, we might well sell our M/H, strangely enough, we might then buy a caravan and use Municipal sites in France
Don't know yet, but that is a serious possibility
Anyway advice or anybody interested

Oh sorry, we are thinking of mid/late April this year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 21:14

Send a message via AIM to metblue
turkey ect

Hi Graham, wife and I want to drive there too but as we have other plans in place for April- June !!
So now we are hoping to go end of August - middle of October,
Intend to drive there as been on lots of ferries but would rather see the countries that we are going to drive through where we can stop at anytime for a day or two if we please !! Both retired and have a small yorkie who has travelled everywhere with us for the last seven years !
Have driven all over Europe for last 10 years, have worked/driven in Europe and the Middle East Also drove coaches back and forward to France, Spain and Germany so not worried about the distance 2500+ miles from home !! just a wee small jaunt lol !!
Anyone who fancies a trip then who would like company let met know the more the merrier.
And if we go on our own then so be it !!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 21:17 Thread Starter

Shame the dates don't coincide.
Have a great time metblue, I am sure you will

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 21:30

Hey up.

Never been to Turkey as we came the scenic route to Greece via Albania, but we did get the ferry from Greece to Italy the one you sleep in your van. then the same when we went into Sicily.

As far as the ferries are concerned we didn't book in advance, just turned up at the ferry office at the port, paid and was on the next ferry to leave, both Greece to Italy and Italy to Sicily and back when we had enough of Sicily a few weeks later, as easy as hoping on a bus, and this was in the busy holiday season.

Hope that helps as we are not travelers that plan things and just go with the flow.

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 21:35 Thread Starter

Duplicated post, see below
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 21:36 Thread Starter

Thanks Ray, you sound like us, we don't plan much, we just go, and do it. More fun that way!
Incidentally, I have crossed to Messina, form Reggio with a truck.
Oh, when we last went to Turkey, we drove down the coast of old Yugo and returned through the middle.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 22:01

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Hi Graham,

We had a great trip to Turkey Feb - May 2012, its all >here<.
We did it alone as touring with others isn't our thing. The only thing we booked was the outbound Ancona - Greece ferry, the rest was on the hoof.
Judy was a bit apprehensive at first, probably after watching Midnight Express too many times but all fears we're unfounded as its probably one of the safest and friendliest countries we've visited. We also found it one of the easiest countries to wildcamp in, as the country hasn't been over run with motorhomes yet as much as mainland Europe or Morocco has.

I'll help with any specific info you need if I can.
Others who have toured there recently are Helen (hmh) and Barry (Standup) and of course Don Madge was a mine of info for us before our trip so I'm sure they will be along to help too.

We were planning a spring trip to Turkey again for this year but other issues have scuppered that, so hoping to get an autumn trip to Greece in instead if all goes well.

Pete
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 22:09 Thread Starter

Hi Pete, I earlier was telling Kath they you had considerable experience over there. I have read your exploits, but I need to re read.
I know what you mean about Midnight Express as that film delayed our first back packing tour of Turkey It took me ages to talk Kath into going, after watching the film
Yes, know about Don, but not the other guys. We also are loners, and are quire happy that way, we just thought if someone else fancied it, maybe safety in numbers, but not tied together
It was a spur of the moment decision tonight, but a serious one. WE are just bored with just going to western Europe.
Thanks form your input
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 22:34

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Hi Grath, by careful, I had the same plan and headed off in mid-dec. We have now abandoned it and will save Greece and Turkey for next year.

We have been entranced by Italy and have been touring Puglia wild camping for the last 3 weeks. Carry on like this and it will be a while before we get to Sicily and will probably stay there till the weather warms and then travel up the other side.

Dick
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 22:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr
Hi Grath, by careful, I had the same plan and headed off in mid-dec. We have now abandoned it and will save Greece and Turkey for next year.

We have been entranced by Italy and have been touring Puglia wild camping for the last 3 weeks. Carry on like this and it will be a while before we get to Sicily and will probably stay there till the weather warms and then travel up the other side.

Dick
Thanks Dick, I have been to Puglia, love the houses.
Take your time and enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page