they have screwed up my trip in turkey - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinta
I still reckon there's a taste of spam
Funny you should say that Sprinta - that was my immediate impression.

R1100 - If you ever return to look at this thread, please tell us where you live! If it's somewhere interesting your local knowledge might be useful - to someone.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 09:51

Especially the whereabouts of local speed cameras.

dave p

post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by locrep
we made our way back to Kirikhan & got through into Syria via Antakya, this border crossing was by far the most dangerous on our whole trip it was like entering a scene from Armageddon. Dave.
I've looked through an old passport and found that the TIR crossing from TR into Syria was at Cilvegozu - Anatakya and the Syrian border gate was several km's further along a two-lane road (not much more than a track) then at a place called Bab-el-Hawa. The traffic queues along this stretch of we used to refer to as 'no mans land' could be horrendous. The Syrian border used to close overnight regardless of the amount of traffic waiting to enter the country.

Is this the crossing you used ??

My passport stamps reminded me of one incident that happened at Cilvegozu: Three of us were travelling in convoy and on arrival at Cilvegozu we handed in our documents and passports as usual. About a quarter of an hour later, an official called us into a back office and told us we were in a lot of trouble and .... we were to await the police. Not good news !

Eventually, it transpired they were able to deduce from our passports that we had transited Turkey too fast and we were going to done big time for speeding. In those days, the passport entry stamps (at Kapicule) in addition to being dated, had a time mark around the outside of the stamp. Hi-tech stuff or what.

We knew we had crossed TR faster than usual because we had done it virtually non-stop, i.e. without sleep (with the help of dexedrine tablets which was fairly normal practise for those days).

After being threatened with court etc, the police eventually agreed on a fine which was reduced if we could pay in dollars - which we did. I never crossed Turkey without stopping for sleep again.

PS: Before someone tells me, I know the stupidity of taking drugs to stay awake whilst driving and I don't do it now ... honest. In those days, we were paid by the trip and earned very good money ... if we weren't delayed.

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 15:39

Thats sounds like the one, there were cars & lorries being stripped down & some were being set alight afterwards in between the two armoured gates, there were men in scruffy uniforms & trainers with rifles demanding we stop, No chance that I was stopping in what seemed like a lawless no mans land.

When we reached the Syrian side & I got talking to the locals about how dangerous the stretch is between the two borders, they explained they were wanted people hiding out in the mountains & survived by taking what they can from people who fail to make it across.

I worked with many drivers who needed magic potions to keep them going, back in the early eighties I was with Dukes of Portadown, the only way we could make money was by keep moving, I was young & did not need anything to keep me awake, I was lucky judging by how some of the old Boy's suffered with leg problems later in life after being on the stuff.

We had our boots sealed on a Sunday afternoon and would be docked pay if we had removed them before the following Saturday afternoon..

Dave..
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 15:42

I was thinking, do you remember having to clock out of France into Belgium & if you were too quick you got a speeding fine, I think it was something like Guilvide excuse the spelling.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by locrep

We had our boots sealed on a Sunday afternoon and would be docked pay if we had removed them before the following Saturday afternoon..

Dave..
Very good...... I remember Dukes. Their drivers used to fuel up / park up at Tebay Services (off junction 38 of the M6)....... and drink in the Cross Keys pub in Tebay village.

I did a regular run (for a few years) from South Wales to Scotland (usually two trips a week) and I ran in Cardiff Transports livery. I sub-contracted for them.

I wonder if you remember one of Crooks of Cookstown drivers having a very bad accident with another lorry on the northbound side just a couple of miles before J38. Both lorries went down a steep embankment. The other lorry involved was mine ... and my driver didn't survive. There's a hell of a story behind that bump ... but I won't go into it here.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 16:57

They must have been the good boys running from Bellshill depot, I have seen so many accidents along that stretch of the M6 but must say mainly south bound normally caused by the nasty side wind in that area & in particular some bad ones along the A75 which was really bad in the late 70s & early eighties, as you headed towards Stranraer you could time the ferry arrivals as far away as Carlisle with the constant packs of high powered very fast moving Irish lorries.

Dave..
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 23-08-2012, 17:56

We've had a few posts on this thread but not a great deal of info has emerged except two "golden oldies" recounting their trips in years gone by.

So for anybody considering visiting Turkey just some tips that might save you embarrassing yourself.

Don't disrespect the Turkish flag, The Turks would never use their flag for anything other than it was intended.

Don't deliberately deface a bank note.

It's custom and practise to take a small gift if you are invited to visit a Turkish household. If there are children in the family chocolates/sweets are always welcome.

Please remember to remove your shoes when you enter the house. Be very careful when you admire something in the house as it might be presented to you when you leave. Turks give from the heart and not the pocket.

In a Turkish household it is considered very bad manners to blow your nose at a meal times, they consider it should be done in private.

Don't point the soles of your feet directly at anybody.

We spend the winter months in a small village (Keciler) in the Kaya valley, it's less than 5 miles from Fethiye but they are worlds apart. We have one delivery of mail a week to the local mosque, the local Imam delivers ours to the house. We have a 20 minute walk to get rid of the rubbish.

This is the view from the balcony of the house.

Safe travelling.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page