Why we love Greece...... - Page 8 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:42

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter View Post
This thread has been fantastic, I've had thoughts about Greece for a few years, we visited Corfu in the70's, and had a car to explore for a few days but all the road signs seemed to be in Greek Script and half the roads were gravel, we got lost in nearly every village and most locals' second language was German not English so directions were a problem.

Anyway 40 years later, I fancy taking the motorhome. We usually travel April May June and Sept Oct Nov with the summer at home when everything gets busy and too hot. So which time is best in Greece, Before or after the heat? What about routes to get there, ferry from Italy or the long drive? Are we going to find route finding etc a problem or is it simply a case of getting used to the place as we find in Southern Italy. Are we going to get by with a simple phrase book for the language.

Sicily is planned for May June 17 so we 're looking at Sept Oct 17 or the following year.

Thanks in anticipation of a few nuggets of good information

alan & sue
Timing: April May June are all great especially for the Spring flowerss. April could be a bit cool in the North and up mountains but fine in the Peloponese. A lot of tavernas and other places, probably including campsites do not open till Easter - Orthodox and English Easter ar ofte on different w/es but for 2017 they coincide with Easter Sunday being on 16th April. Sea will not be as warm as Sept/Oct, but some places in tourist ares start closing end Sept/mid-Oct as flights stop, but the country is trying to extend the season.

Getting there: Ferry is the easiest and quickest, but not cheap. I have not driven.

Routes: Road signs are mostly good now and are in both Greek and Roman script. With a good map you should have no problem, except maybe for finding little tracks to some of Peejay's parking spots, but his write ups are good.

Getting directions from locals: Greeks are not very good at map reading so verbal directions are better. If looking for somebody to speak English try to find younger people, who will have been taught it in schools. Pharmacists also usually speak English and it is easy to spot the Green crosses outside.

You do not say whether you like to use campsites or wilding - there are some great spots for wilding as on this thread and on Peejay's POI list.

Peejay may be along with more info for you, as he has a lot of MH experience there, whereas my Greek experience comes from 30 years of sailing and I have yet to get the MH there.

Prices are going up quite a bit because of increased taxes due to their dire economic state, but some things are still quite cheap.

Hope you enjoy it when you go.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
HurricaneSmith (07-12-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Hi Alan and Sue,

Geoff has pretty much covered it, my two pennarth...

Road signs on the main roads are not a problem, you will find them in Greek first and then followed by an English one a few mtrs later. This is usually also the case for other roads but sometimes just the Greek ones if you are off the beaten track, A good road map will see you ok and there is good road coverage with a sat nav. Best maps are Road Editions but the paper quality is rubbish and they don't last long. I also use Michelin Greece for general route planning and the Freytag/Berndt one of the Peloponnese is quite good.

Spring and autumn are by far the best times to visit with a motorhome, Geoffs summary is spot on.

Route wise, we have never driven all the way as its a long old haul unless its part of a big tour. We always use the ferries. Anek, Superfast and Minoan are the main operators on this route, their prices and timetables should be out online by early January if you're going next year. The 'camping on board' season (staying in your van on deck) is April to October each year, Anek & Superfast offer this option but Minoan only do a 'Camper special' where you get a cabin for the price of deck passage and hook up for the van. Various discounts are available but that's a whole subject in itself.

Route wise we always go the well trodden toll free route down through Belgium, Lux and France to the Swiss border. From there we go from Basel on the A2 down to Italy border at Como then rattle down the autostrada via Milan and Bologna to Ancona, or turn left at Milan if you're departing from Venice.

Also have a good look around the magbaz website, there is a wealth of info about campsites, routes etc on there, highly recommended...

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/section/8/30/

We're probably off there next Autumn so might see you down there...

Pete

Last edited by peejay; 07-12-2016 at 10:10.
The Following User Says Thank You to peejay For This Useful Post:
jo662 (09-12-2016)
post #73 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 17:09

Personal Aire
Thanks for those brill updates, the options don't look half as scary as they have done in the past.

We've done aires, sostas etc and French Passionand often acsi sites as we travel in off season. We've not done much wilding but are looking forward to some of the quieter spots. We've done alot of Italy as far as Sicily and the heel (Lecce) and that has taught us alot. PJs insights into wilding spots and in fact, the whole tread has certainly fired my enthusiasm. I will follow up on the information and websites you've mentioned.

Once again brill thanks v much alan & sue

post #74 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 20:35

Alan & Sue

If you are going to be in Italy in the Spring of 2017 and want to go to Greece in Sept., would you consider parking the MH close to an airport in S. Italy that has cheap flights to UK so that on your return it is near a port for the ferry to Greece?

We have done similar in Scotland, near Manchester, Kent and SW Frnace, but we are somewhat forced to so as not to leave Basia's Mother for too long. However it has worked out fine. We just leave most clothes in the MH and only take hand luggage, thus saving a bit on flights and hassle - no check-in etc. That way flights from the smaller airports can be dirt cheap if booked ahead.

Just a thought for you to consider.

Geoff
post #75 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 15:30 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Paralia Agios Andreas, about midway between Nafplio and Sambatiki. Might be able to get your boat in here Geoff

Parking area to the side of the harbour where we spent our time here with several vans. Old toilet block with a tap outside at the entrance and Turkish style loo that should have a health warning but ok for the cassette.
Small restaurant on the headland which looked very popular and another in the harbour area itself which didn't look as nice.
There is a pebbly beach just to the side of the parking area.

Best not to park too close to the fishing boats as they leave early in the morning.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg par agios andreas 2.JPG (116.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg par agios andreas.JPG (147.8 KB, 8 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to peejay For This Useful Post:
jo662 (09-12-2016)
post #76 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 16:13

Personal Aire
No we'd not considered it before even though we have friends who live about 50km from Venice and we can just fit on to part of their drive without blocking their cars. We've always treated the drive to and from as part of the holiday (apart from the boring bit through Belgium). Needs a bit of thinking about

cheers alan
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.
post #77 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter View Post
No we'd not considered it before even though we have friends who live about 50km from Venice and we can just fit on to part of their drive without blocking their cars. We've always treated the drive to and from as part of the holiday (apart from the boring bit through Belgium). Needs a bit of thinking about

cheers alan
Alan

I just checked and Ryanair fly from Treviso airport N. of Venice direct to Leeds/Bradford.

Geoff
post #78 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 21:35

Personal Aire
Yes our friend returns for a week every month to help look after her mum, so she's a regular flyer.

I wonder what the insurance position is, leaving the van over there for 2 months say,

It would seem very odd, returning without the van and the usual food and wine goodies

cheers alan
post #79 of 84 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 18:57 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Salandi Beach, Peloponnese.

About 20 odd kms SE of Nafplio as the crow flies but more like 60kms by road around the mountains.

Large area overlooking a lovely white pebbled beach with an eerie backdrop of the old long since abandoned Salandi (or Salanti) Beach Holiday complex.

Isolated with no facs nearby except a Revoil Garage about 5km away where you can get water.

Probably best not to go exploring the hotel at night, see picture 5!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aOrfy-gciQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salandi beach 1.JPG (94.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg salandi beach 2.JPG (80.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg salandi beach 3.JPG (110.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg salandi beach 4.JPG (97.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg salandi beach 5.JPG (59.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg salandi beach 6.JPG (144.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by peejay; 13-12-2016 at 19:02.
post #80 of 84 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 16:56

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Hi Pete is that your drone in the video?

Dick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page