Travelling to Greece - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-07-2015, 20:12

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Ray

did you have insurance cover for the bit of Bosnia-H? Others have asked on here about it in the past; having been through it last month on a coach trip from Dubrovnik to Split, I can't really see the point of paying for cover for that bit.

it's a wierd place, basically a holiday resort on the coast for Bosnians; I thought it was still there to give trading access to the sea, but there's no port there, just loads of holiday accommodation! I'm told it goes back to a settlement between the state of Dubrovnik and the Ottomans, and basically the Bosnia-H's will never give it up, so Croatia are contemplating building a bridge across the short stretch of sea that separates a couple of pensinulas to take the north / south road without going through B-H!

anyway, off topic - back to Greece!!

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-07-2015, 10:37

We haven't driven to Greece, but we did drive to Romania this year where we met a French couple who had driven down through Croatia etc, then through Greece to Istambul and were on their way back to France when we met them. They said they had no problems at all, and had used an aire near the water (Bosphorus presumably?) with easy access of all the major sights of Istambul.

One issue would be road conditions during the winter. I would be interested in people's experiences of this, as we plan to go to Sicily this winter. We have never been to the Alps in winter but know we will need to use snow chains, or at least have them available, if we go the 'shortest' route into Italy (which we might drive down or more likely take the ferry from Genoa to Palermo).

Our motorhome is rear wheel drive and is fitted with all-weather tyres, which I understand satisfy the requirement for 'winter tyres' in those countries which require them [unless anyone knows different?]. What I don't know is whether we need chains for both front and back wheels or just for the back wheels?? Also are here any recommendations for makes of snow chains?

While this might be a subject for a separate thread, it would seem to be pretty relevant to anyone wanting to drive south for the winter to anywhere other than the Iberian peninsular.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-07-2015, 16:37

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblewett View Post
We haven't driven to Greece, but we did drive to Romania this year where we met a French couple who had driven down through Croatia etc, then through Greece to Istanbul and were on their way back to France when we met them. They said they had no problems at all, and had used an aire near the water (Bosphorus presumably?) with easy access of all the major sights of Istanbul

That is probably the parking area at fishermans quai on Kennedy Cadesi.

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/module...lts&csid=11557

There is another parking area further along near the sports centre as well but its more expensive and has had mixed reports in the past.

Pete
hblewett and hblewett like this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-07-2015, 23:34

That certainly looks like the place and location they described.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page